• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Atlas (Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you)

All my MVP discs are 'patent pending', though they might just be old.

Are they truly the same? Innova seem to suggest reasons for ergonomic grip, MVP's selling point was the gyro technology.

wow this thread is full of crap.

Why can't people just be happy that they are being given another option? Even if you think it is ****, there may be someone out there who loves it and plays more confidently when it is in their hands.

wtf happened to this board?

I don't understand the hate on this one.

Didn't Quest AT do over-molding first? Remember the Odyssey discs?
MVP didn't get hated on for copying them did they? (I don't remember)

Looking at the design I think MVP has a cleaner product, and will continue to rock the over-mold market. However, I am excited about this because I have wanted to give these types of discs a shot. I really want to give MVP a shot, but their discs feel like they are meant for a child's hands (small). It is just a mental illusion probably, but still. I am also happy because they will have ALOT better color schemes.

First of all I have no hate. The idea of overmolding comes from the plastic industry and was bound to find it's way into disc golf sooner or later. Quest tried to make an overmolded disc golf disc, but it was a novelty of a disc (and a joke of a golf disc). It certainly did not have performance advantages and was probably less gyroscopic than most discs. It was a complete fail. So Quest made a product that was not viable and MVP has products that are high performance and selling well enough to expand the company. I wouldn't call that copying.

What is a bit irksome to MVP supporters is illustrated well in the second part of your post(I'm in no way trying to insult you) where you say "I have wanted to give these types of discs a shot". The fact is these are not in any way taking advantage of the same technology as MVP, nor have they even been time tested to see how they will hold up (I'm skeptical). Innova has simply done a visual imitation of MVP without including the stuff that actually works, but people are going to think the Atlas and MVP's discs are the same.

I think what is irksome to me about this whole situation is illustrated very concisely in the second part of your post.

INNOVA. FINDING REVOLUTIONARY WAYS AROUND PATENTS WITH AtLAS TECH RIVET NUBS.

badbuilding24.jpg

First of all I have no hate. The idea of overmolding comes from the plastic industry and was bound to find it's way into disc golf sooner or later. Quest tried to make an overmolded disc golf disc, but it was a novelty of a disc (and a joke of a golf disc). It certainly did not have performance advantages and was probably less gyroscopic than most discs. It was a complete fail. So Quest made a product that was not viable and MVP has products that are high performance and selling well enough to expand the company. I wouldn't call that copying.

What is a bit irksome to MVP supporters is illustrated well in the second part of your post(I'm in no way trying to insult you) where you say "I have wanted to give these types of discs a shot". The fact is these are not in any way taking advantage of the same technology as MVP, nor have they even been time tested to see how they will hold up (I'm skeptical). Innova has simply done a visual imitation of MVP without including the stuff that actually works, but people are going to think the Atlas and MVP's discs are the same.

I think what is irksome to me about this whole situation is illustrated very concisely in the second part of your post.

You sure have a lot of information on the Atlas. How is it that you know so much? Why is it that MVP homers are so sensitive?

You sure have a lot of information on the Atlas. How is it that you know so much? Why is it that MVP homers are so sensitive?

Don't get me wrong, despite any irks I think this is awesome all in all. I don't think I'll buy an Atlas at fundraiser prices, but I'm looking forward to messing with one as soon as I get a chance.

Don't get me wrong, despite any irks I think this is awesome all in all. I don't think I'll buy an Atlas at fundraiser prices, but I'm looking forward to messing with one as soon as I get a chance.

You didn't answer the question. How do you know so much about the Atlas, and the technology/design that was or wasn't used?

Specifically related to this quote:

" The fact is these are not in any way taking advantage of the same technology as MVP, nor have they even been time tested to see how they will hold up (I'm skeptical). Innova has simply done a visual imitation of MVP without including the stuff that actually works, but people are going to think the Atlas and MVP's discs are the same. "

Why is it that MVP homers are so sensitive?

I think I could justifiably ask why people seem to attack MVP throwers more than any other of the smaller-party brands by a pretty considerable margin...

As a side note though, I think once the dust settles more people will realize this is a pretty nice compliment to MVP. Market presence felt.

I think I could justifiably ask why people seem to attack MVP throwers more than any other of the smaller-party brands by a pretty considerable margin...

As a side note though, I think once the dust settles more people will realize this is a pretty nice compliment to MVP. Market presence felt.

Who's attacking them?

Why is it that MVP homers are so sensitive?

I'm not an MVP fanboy, I only own one of their discs. But it's annoying to see this for the same reason it's annoying to see a McDonalds open shop next door to your favorite mom & pop diner.

Playing devil's advocate here, but is anyone outside of this message board trying MVP for the first time because of the technology they espouse, or just because they look cool? If a new player walks into a shop, having never heard of MVP, do they automatically say "Hey, I bet the gyroscopics on that thing kick ass!"? Or is it probably more along the lines of "Hey, that disc looks cool!"? My guess is most new players are turned on to MVP not because of the technology, but because of the visuals. They probably find out about the technology after buying the first disc and doing some research. So I am not sure it is fair to be upset about Innova doing a visual copy when that is likely how MVP gets customers, too. It just puts them on the same playing field.

You didn't answer the question. How do you know so much about the Atlas, and the technology/design that was or wasn't used?

I just know what I can see. Those external gates/brackets look bad and I'm not sure I even think that should be legal (all other discs are of a completely uniform shape). To maximize gyroscopics the point is to get as much weight as far out on the edge as possible. Making the entire rim plastic heavier than the very small flightplate is going to largely negate any gyro gains, and this is even making the assumption that the outside plastic is even more dense than the flight plate.

I just know what I can see. Those external gates/brackets look bad and I'm not sure I even think that should be legal (all other discs are of a completely uniform shape). To maximize gyroscopics the point is to get as much weight as far out on the edge as possible. Making the entire rim plastic heavier than the very small flightplate is going to largely negate any gyro gains, and this is even making the assumption that the outside plastic is even more dense than the flight plate.

So, your opinion that this will be an inferior product to MVP is based 100% on assumption, and speculation. DGCR SOP

So, your opinion that this will be an inferior product to MVP is based 100% on assumption, and speculation. DGCR SOP

If MVP debuted with the Atlas they wouldn't be in business. Why do you seem annoyed that I have opinions and make inferences from available information?

Does anybody else find it interesting that when a different company comes out with discs that are eerily similar to a roc/teebird/destroyer etc.. people all freak out and call them the greatest discs of all time but when big bad innova comes and tries to do something similar to one of our beloved small companies everyone loves to call them desperate? Just an observation of mine.