• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Atlas (Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you)

Wasn't Innova pretty consistent when their production totals were as low as MVP's are now? If they weren't, why are people paying outrageous prices for all that old, "consistent" plastic?

I was more commenting on business ethics/consumer support rather than anything to do with consistency. MVP was caught by surprise when the first run Shocks came out much less stable than they were intending. Their response was to fix the problem and start making discs to fly as intended as well as offering free replacements to anyone unsatisfied with their early run Shocks. On the other hand Innova stumbled onto something really good with many of the early Blizzard discs, only to completely cease the production of the "good" Blizzard discs. They capitalized on the early hype by making something inferior and selling it somewhat deceptively to the eager masses.

Regarding the second part of your post, anyone that was playing disc golf when CE/SE plastic was in production can tell you that it wasn't any more consistent than their discs are today. Innova actually had to X-out/regrind a much higher percentage of CE than any plastic they have used since. The fact that people pay big dollars for weird runs of old discs is actually a testament to their inconsistency over time.

As I said later in my edit of that post, hopefully MVP learns from Innova's mistakes and scale their operation better. We'll see in another 30 years.

And I can't tell you how many times I've seen the word consistency thrown around as to why people spend that extra money. Yes, they had a ton of X-Outs, but their QC caught it. Why fault them for doing their job?

Last edited:
This is a silly discussion though...MVP is boutique and will probably always be smaller and thus more under control of their products. Innova makes a great product for the most part, especially considering their production volume.

I've read most of the thread. FWIW, I throw a mixed bag, and have 2 goto Innova molds and 2 goto MVP, among other situational discs by both, and the swedes.

I see more Innova fanboi defensiveness than MVP fanboi hateration here, honestly.

For good reason, IMO, as this looks like a blatant cry for help. It's one thing to make use of a good idea, as in the wedge-rimmed disc post-patent expiration. It's another to put out a disc that looks EXACTLY like an upstart competitor's, naming it INTENTIONALLY to sound almost the same. LOL. This actually does more to legitimize MVP than anything anyone can post on this forum.

Though Innova does appear to have improved the design concept...by adding exposed rivets to the grip/release area? Dude, wtf?

Still, I can't lie, given all this, I am curious. My club is in bed with Innova locally, and I've got club-bucks at the house, so I may blow some on one of these just out of sheer curiosity.

What hype? Only one person on this thread actually said he's seen/held one and said it was cool. So far all this thread has been is an argument over consistency and angry MVP fanboys being angry MVP fanboys because the "Great Satan" that is Innova is trying their hand at an overmold.

^^True! haha!

Innova put a lot of effort into marking MVP as its equal. This is a good thing for MVP and people who want MVP to hurry up with the distance driver :) Whether you like MVP or Innova or not, the Atlas is validating the overmold technology and is creating healthy competition. Maybe anti-MVP/Innova fans will end up wanting to try MVP if they like the Atlas. This also does alienate other disc manufacturers who won't/can't produce overmolded discs.

Innova put a lot of effort into marking MVP as its equal. This is a good thing for MVP and people who want MVP to hurry up with the distance driver :) Whether you like MVP or Innova or not, the Atlas is validating the overmold technology and is creating healthy competition. Maybe anti-MVP/Innova fans will end up wanting to try MVP if they like the Atlas. This also does alienate other disc manufacturers who won't/can't produce overmolded discs.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Aesthetically, they look cartoony. MVP stuck to black or white overmolds. (Exception being 1st run Ions).

Consider the following:

- All brands combined (including DC) sell less than Innova (source: biggest retailer ever)
- MVP is already skyrocketing in the boutique market share
- Innova's molding quality is lower than MVP's *
- Atlas Points are an aesthetically poor look compared to the GYRO(tm) bond **
- Atlas validates MVP's signature feature to the giant Innova audience
- Innova, biggest disc co. in the game, just injected (lol) MVP into the larger conversation
- Players introduced to MVP by Innova will find a more well-made disc
- New people will discover and appreciate MVP

Y'all don't need to share my view on this, but these are the positives I'm seeing from an MVP marketing standpoint. Very interesting plot twist in the MVP journey.

* fight me
** get an art degree and fight me

:)

Welcome to the big boy club MVP, you now have your own seat at the table. :hfive:

Check it out. MVP fanboy has not only already thrown it, but he's thrown multiple runs of it!

I miss the time when people were happy to see a new disc from ANY manufacturer. You know, the time when disc golfers actually wanted to throw discs instead of bitching about them online?

:thmbup:

I wonder how patent violations work? It's definetly different enough but at the same time similar.

It felt like a coyote/mako/buzzz. Pretty comfortable tbh.

The number INNOVA disc molds are dizzying.... good thing there are so many creatures to name their discs after... The Silky Anteater, The Pangolin, The Marmoset,etc... of course their respective flight paths will overlap but that hasn't stopped them as of yet, or people from buying/collecting/hoarding their discs.

Latest posts