• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova KATANA

I may have to try another star shryke then, or just spend a little field time with my star. I've seen you talk up champ terns so much on here, that the shryke must have really impressed you to kick your terns out.

BTW I see you're in Alexandria, I'm in New Orleans, PM me if you're ever down here and want to throw.
Champ Terns were my first really wow distance driver. I just learned over time that I like Star much better in distance drivers. The other thing though, once a Tern gets turned, they rarely want to come back unless it's downwind. Shrykes do a little better at fighting out.

If I ever get down there, I'll let you know :thmbup:

Try the Shryke and Champ Tern head to head for distance. I found that I got better distance consistently with the Shryke. Its faster and glides better. Both have similar flights. Stable, but not ridiculously so.

I dropped Champ Terns for Star Shrykes because I can get similar stability and avoid Champion plastic.

I may have to try another star shryke then, or just spend a little field time with my star. I've seen you talk up champ terns so much on here, that the shryke must have really impressed you to kick your terns out.

BTW I see you're in Alexandria, I'm in New Orleans, PM me if you're ever down here and want to throw.

I see posts like these advocating the Star Shryke.

I say "I'll give my Star Shryke one more shot."

I put my Star Shryke in the bag and go to the course.

At the first opportunity (i.e. long hole), I take out the Shryke and (try to) throw it. I grip-lock it like crazy (I rarely grip-lock any other disc in my bag), it becomes a cut roller.

I use words I did not learn on DGCR.

I take the Shryke home, put it back in the box, and swear "Never again!"

I start reading all y'all's comments about the Shryke....

:doh: :wall: :( :mad:

Just to drive odd running back crazy, I just took out all terns and shrykes and inserted an all 11 speed driver line up including a Wraith, CD3, DD, Air Renegade and Mamba. I'll probably shoot a course record this afternoon.

Take the Shryke to an open field with some other discs and give it a bunch of reps. When I first started tinkering with the Shryke I threw it poorly. I could see potential in the disc, but I simply wasn't releasing it right. Took probably 20 throws before I got anything decent. Now I can just rip on a Shryke and it bombs.

An occasional toss or two on the course for the Shryke won't really help you learn it.

I won't call the Shryke light years better than the Tern, but its enough that I notice it. Actually, the longest Terns I've thrown have all been G*.

Take the Shryke to an open field with some other discs and give it a bunch of reps. When I first started tinkering with the Shryke I threw it poorly. I could see potential in the disc, but I simply wasn't releasing it right. Took probably 20 throws before I got anything decent. Now I can just rip on a Shryke and it bombs.

An occasional toss or two on the course for the Shryke won't really help you learn it.

I won't call the Shryke light years better than the Tern, but its enough that I notice it. Actually, the longest Terns I've thrown have all been G*.

I was pretty impressed by my gstar shryke the other day on a good hard rip I gave it. Stood up, went over, and came back enough to impress me. I wish I could see that more out of my star shryke because I prefer star plastic.

I have a champ tern and a gstar tern, and the gstar maay be longer than the champ. It is pop topped, the champ is flat, and the gstar shows more turn. I trust the champ tern more though.

Wait... isn't this a katana thread? I got two used, worn in star katanas today for a great deal. Will hit the field and report back. One is board flat, the other has slightly more dome. I think I'll do a max d-driver field test soon with my two shrykes, two terns, two katanas, bliz boss and a 400g D3. (Then I'll throw my wraith almost as far on a controlled line and ask why I bother with this new crap...)

I was pretty impressed by my gstar shryke the other day on a good hard rip I gave it. Stood up, went over, and came back enough to impress me. I wish I could see that more out of my star shryke because I prefer star plastic.

I have a champ tern and a gstar tern, and the gstar maay be longer than the champ. It is pop topped, the champ is flat, and the gstar shows more turn. I trust the champ tern more though.

Wait... isn't this a katana thread? I got two used, worn in star katanas today for a great deal. Will hit the field and report back. One is board flat, the other has slightly more dome. I think I'll do a max d-driver field test soon with my two shrykes, two terns, two katanas, bliz boss and a 400g D3. (Then I'll throw my wraith almost as far on a controlled line and ask why I bother with this new crap...)

Interesting. Let us know how that driver test goes. I'll go do that stuff all the time. Pull 8-10 long bombers out and go rip them in a field.

BTW, I'd almost guarantee your flat Katana will disappoint. Those things simply don't do anywhere. The domey Katana will probably be far better. G* Terns for me hang with anything I put them against. Very, very long discs. G* Tern vs. G* Shryke is just about a push in terms of distance. I like the Shryke a hair better because it has a bit more stability and I find it easier to throw consistently. Champion Terns are more stable and don't glide quite as well.

=Lumberjack504;3240007. (Then I'll throw my wraith almost as far on a controlled line and ask why I bother with this new crap...)
I experiment a lot. Terns have been a staple in my bag since they came out. Added Shrykes, and flirted with Sheriff's.

So yesterday was Max 11 speed as I posted earlier. My seasoned PFN Star Wraith was so good to me, I immediately began searching for discs to make an all Wraith lineup. Ended up not buying anything because the right stuff just wasn't available from any one store. I could probably simplify my bag if I found a light G* and then a heavy star and champ. A shame Echo is going away.

Air Renegade performed great in the max downwind role.

G* Tern vs. G* Shryke is just about a push in terms of distance. I like the Shryke a hair better because it has a bit more stability and I find it easier to throw consistently.

Yeah, I think the gstar shryke can be just as long as the gstar tern, but with less left to right movement.

My seasoned PFN Star Wraith was so good to me

I bag three PFN star wraiths in various wear and they are just fantastic. One flat beat one for big turnovers, one less beat for a -2,2 type flight, and one that is straight to fade (my current go-to). I do find that even my pretty stable wraith will turn in a headwind, so I bag a couple destroyers.

I have some newer run star wraiths that I need to throw along side the PFNs to see how they compare. They do all have very similar dome and PLH though - seems to be a pretty consistent mold.

I'll get more Wraiths eventually. Probably need a fresh heavy star to begin with, then maybe find a used beat one for down wind.

Someone buy my pro wraith.

I much prefer a blizzard boss or blizzard Katana for all out bombs.

Maybe not in wind :)

Those are my farthest fliers.

What's up with Katanas these days? The top is different- probably a destroyer or pd2 top. Totally different disc than what it's supposed to be. Anyone else notice?

What's up with Katanas these days? The top is different- probably a destroyer or pd2 top. Totally different disc than what it's supposed to be. Anyone else notice?

Tough to say. The Katana is already one of the most inconsistent molds I've ever seen. Some are domey, some are flat. Some glide, some don't. Some have lots of high speed turn, some don't.

I feel bad for anyone who has to buy Katanas online and hope they receive one they actually like.

One used disc I always buy when I find one, no matter how many I have, is a used champ Katana. I think it is the plastic that is different, not the mold, but I don't like new ones from the last year or so.

I like Pro Katanas too, but the last one I bought was way more stable than normal, so maybe something is different?

Nothing flies as far on useful lines though. They are worth any trouble in getting the right ones.

Interestingly, I found a 134g blizz Katana lately that actually flies well. I was shocked. I expected it to turn and burn on every throw. It actually holds a line pretty well and goes a long, long way. I won't ever bag it, but Its a pretty worthy distance driver. I usually don't like blizzard plastic at all.

And yeah, flat star Katanas stink. You can't get any distance out of them and and they don't glide at all. The first Katana I ever threw was just such a disc and I hated it. Took me a while to warm to the mold in general. They're good drivers, but (as mentioned) TONS of variation from disc to disc.

I had a flat Star Katana that was my longest disc ever. It was a sad day when I lost it down a ravine at DeLa. There are other factors than dome with these, though I'm not sure what they are.

My son (who throws far) has a flat champ Katana that is quite stable. He uses it as his longest hyzer disc.

On the other hand, I had a flat G* Katana that was, indeed, garbage.

I find older Champ Katanas to be the longest and most reliable

I had a flat Star Katana that was my longest disc ever. It was a sad day when I lost it down a ravine at DeLa. There are other factors than dome with these, though I'm not sure what they are.

My son (who throws far) has a flat champ Katana that is quite stable. He uses it as his longest hyzer disc.

On the other hand, I had a flat G* Katana that was, indeed, garbage.

I find older Champ Katanas to be the longest and most reliable

Yeah, my favorite Katanas are generally champion, but I've also thrown a couple good stars. I like them with some dome. The really flat Katanas I find to be beefy and glideless.

That said, it isn't one of my favorite molds. A good Katana is a real bomber, but a bad Katana will make you want to give up on them altogether. I'd put the Vulcan in the same boat. Domey Vulcans are massive understable bombers. Flat Vulcans seem to be glideless and a bit beefy. I've thrown 1 star Vulcan that reminded me exactly of a Katana. Very little high speed turn and no glide.

One used disc I always buy when I find one, no matter how many I have, is a used champ Katana. I think it is the plastic that is different, not the mold, but I don't like new ones from the last year or so.

I like Pro Katanas too, but the last one I bought was way more stable than normal, so maybe something is different?

Nothing flies as far on useful lines though. They are worth any trouble in getting the right ones.

I have one Pro Katana and it flies well for me, neither badly overstable nor flippy understable. Your OS one may just have molded up that way. The good thing about getting a relatively overstable disc is that you can season it in.

I have one Pro Katana and it flies well for me, neither badly overstable nor flippy understable. Your OS one may just have molded up that way. The good thing about getting a relatively overstable disc is that you can season it in.

Yeah that pro Katana has worked into my favorite distance driver now. For my arm throwing copies of both the pro Katana and pro Boss is a good way to get a nice range of high-speed stabilities. I am curious to add a pro Shryke to the mix.

Little Katana insight from lately.....

I've thrown 2 champion Katanas in the last 6 months. Both somewhat gummy. A 167 and 168g. Outstanding bombers. I've been really hit or miss on the Katana over the years, but these latest 2 are a couple magnificent specimens. Neither one is overly domey, nor are they really flat. Just a mild dome. They fly pretty much dead on the numbers (13, 5, -2, 3).

The glide and penetration are outstanding. These 2 Katanas have the perfect stability to allow for hard rips without flipping over. Very classic S curve Katana flight too. Great disc for hyzerflips. I figure I was getting these somewhere north of 420' fairly routinely. The Katana I threw today was outdistancing a Sheriff and champion Shryke.

The Katana is still a very real nominee for longest driver out there. It isn't anything I'd use in headwinds, but for calm or downwind rips it'll hang with any other driver.

I guess my point is, I forgot how damn long this mold really is. I've only messed with Katanas periodically over a 10 year period. I may have to try to wedge one of these into my bag.

Little Katana insight from lately.....

I've thrown 2 champion Katanas in the last 6 months. Both somewhat gummy. A 167 and 168g. Outstanding bombers. I've been really hit or miss on the Katana over the years, but these latest 2 are a couple magnificent specimens. Neither one is overly domey, nor are they really flat. Just a mild dome. They fly pretty much dead on the numbers (13, 5, -2, 3)

We're these purchased from recent stock? I'll have to check out the champ katana bins at GGGT. It's been awhile.

Latest posts