• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova user interested in branching out...

Lewis

* Ace Member *
Hey folks. So far, I've always had only Innova discs, since they're the easiest to find around here. However, I'm discovering more and more stores that carry Discraft, as well as the occasional disc from other manufacturers. I would like to try branching out, but I don't know where to start. Below is a link to my bag, for your reference. Since I last updated my bag (I'll fix it soon), I've replaced the 162g Sidewinder, which I lost at Wills Park, with a 170g Sidewinder (still flippy as hell), and I've lost my beloved Leopard. I've also added a Cro to my bag. It's quite stable indeed, but I'm enjoying learning to throw it. Since I don't have any fairway drivers in the list other than my lost Leopard, that may be a good role to fill with my next purchase.

My question to the community, then, given the list of discs below and the knowledge that I drive RHBH, with my full-strength drives averaging around 300-330 feet, and that I like to throw my approach shots either forehand or tomahawk, what non-Innova discs would you recommend I try out?

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/bag.php?mid=1875

I'd recommend the D Cyclone for a control driver and a Z Predator for a very overstable (spike hyzers) driver. The Cyclone won't be the longest disc in your bag but if you work on throwing it farther and farther and on many different lines it will teach you a lot. It will also be easier to control for turnovers than the Sidewinder once it's beat up.

Branching out

I originally started with all Innova as well, but have slowly started branching out. Here are some of the things I use.

Personally, I LOVE the Discraft XL, in Pro-D or Elite X. I keep losing them, but I have to replace them since Ive found I cant do without them.

Also, the Discraft Banger-GT is a great putter. The groove-top provides a nice place to grip for both your thumb and other fingers. In ESP it flies consistently, slightly overstable, and still grabs the chains quite well.

The third disc I recommend is somethign to wathc for next year when it comes out. The 2008 Discraft ace race disc is a nice, slightly overstable midrange. Holds a line and floats like a roc, but less flippy, and in premium plastic to boot. Whatever they call it when they bring out next year, pick one up.

Another good putter to try is the Omega SS.

ESP Surge is great for tomahawks.

Also, if your sidewinder is too flippy, I would suggest a Monarch. They are longer, and hold a line very well, while fighting to come back a little harder than the sidewinder.

Also, I personally prefer Wraiths in DX plastic, or perhaps Pro, over Star. I find them to be a bit less overstable, and longer. The Star Wraith is an overstable pig for me. Thus, if a 167 star wraith works for you as an overstable driver, then perhaps a DX would make a nice S-curve/anhyxer disc. Also, DX wraiths beat in very nicely. Trust me, my home course is filled with trees, terraced rock walls and concrete walking paths, and after many hard hits and scrapes, they have aged gracefully.

You also might want to try a Magnet as a putter. They are great.

Also, an Avenger is a great disc in your throwing range

You might want to try a putter from Gateway or a Millenium Omega SS - which putter you like is personal pref.

For a fairway driver, Id recommend a Cyclone from Discraft. Id also recommend an Avenger from Discraft.

The XS by Discraft is a favorite of mine. I also like the buzz for a fairway driver, The surge is also a good forehand driver.

Definately recommend trying an Avenger, for your described throw range I'd try it in the X plastic around 170g. It's slower than a wraith or orc, less stable with a LOT of glide at the end of it's flight. Very controllable driver with good distance, this disc helped me unlock the potential of super fast drivers like the wraith. I'd also give the Challenger putt and approach a try, nice and overstable for a putter, also great glide and super controllable.

I also throw exclusively Innova, but have been toying with the Quest Lazer. This is a really cool disc, with ball golf dimples around the ring of the face, and made of a highly flexible plastic. Some of those I play with throw this disc very well, though I am still getting used to it. It may be my gateway disc into other brands eventually.

http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_displayProduct.php?p=264

I know that Millennium really isn't much of a step away from Innova, but my JLS will hold whatever line I put it on. Throw flat and it goes straight. Throw it hyzer and it goes left. Throw it Annie and it goes right. I'm a RHBH thrower and the JLS distance is just a little shorter than my Champ. Valkyries.

2008 Ace Race Disc

The 2008 Discraft ace race disc is a nice, slightly overstable midrange. Holds a line and floats like a roc, but less flippy, and in premium plastic to boot. Whatever they call it when they bring out next year, pick one up.

Personally, I wasn't a big fan of it after using it for 36 holes at the Ace Race... but to each his own....

Also:
The 2008 Ace Race disc is approved. It's called the Nebula.

pssst............ dont tell anyone....... the DGA Rouge bombs. <Looks around>

Definately recommend trying an Avenger, for your described throw range I'd try it in the X plastic around 170g. It's slower than a wraith or orc, less stable with a LOT of glide at the end of it's flight. Very controllable driver with good distance, this disc helped me unlock the potential of super fast drivers like the wraith. I'd also give the Challenger putt and approach a try, nice and overstable for a putter, also great glide and super controllable.

I will second the challenger it quickly replaced all other putters for me!!

buzzz esp, I second third and fourth that one. A lot of my RHBH friends love my avenger ss too. I cant seem to do what I want with it, but they all want to get their own each time they throw mine

just chiming in.....The Buzzz-D I found is now my best disc in the bag. I also really like the Inferno line (all of them) for good long straight drives.

Latest posts