• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is glow stick juice poisonous?

jtreadwell

Wizard of Plastic Land
Bronze level trusted reviewer
So yeah, a buddy of mine has come up with a new way to make his non-glow discs glow like a son of a gun. He bought a bunch of cheap glow sticks and after breaking them, he punctures the stick and smears the chemicals inside on his discs. This works VERY well and requires no charging like actual glow discs, but I can't imagine it's very good for one's health to have that crap all over your hands. Anyone try this before?

"Glow sticks, necklaces, and bracelets are very popular items at Halloween, Independence Day, at concerts and at birthday parties. Children of all ages can bite into them or get the liquid into their eyes. The substance inside these glowing items is dibutyl phthalate--a clear, oily, colorless liquid. It is low in toxicity but can irritate the eyes, skin, and mucous membranes."

http://www.ncpoisoncenter.org/body.cfm?id=117

I tried that once and my hands were glowing, the discs were slippery, and I swear it was eating the stamp off of one of my discs. It also left glowing marks on the chains that other players did not appreciate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glow_sticks

"Glow sticks contain hydrogen peroxide and phenol is produced as a byproduct. It is advisable to keep the mixture away from skin and to prevent accidental ingestion if the glow stick case splits or breaks. If spilled on skin, the chemicals could cause slight skin irritation, swelling, or, in extreme circumstances, vomiting and nausea. Some of the chemicals used in older glow sticks were thought to be potential carcinogens.[11] The sensitizers used are polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons, a class of compounds known for their carcinogenity."

we did that for a long time. it will warp premium plastic. i mean really warp i was using a champ valk for night golf. it completely warped the flight plate and raised the plh funny enough it turned into the flippyest pos. and no most glow sticks say non-toxic.

What about taking the spaghetti like ones, that are usually seen as necklaces or bracelets and finding a way to affix them to the underside of a disc? Think that would severely effect the flight of the disc?

It's on my to try list sometime this week.

we did that for a long time. it will warp premium plastic. i mean really warp i was using a champ valk for night golf. it completely warped the flight plate and raised the plh funny enough it turned into the flippyest pos. and no most glow sticks say non-toxic.

Yikes, I can't imagine he want's that happening! It's enough to make me not want to try it. Any experience with baseline?

What about taking the spaghetti like ones, that are usually seen as necklaces or bracelets and finding a way to affix them to the underside of a disc? Think that would severely effect the flight of the disc?

That sounds like it would be a bit heavy to work well....

The exposure to air makes the glow not last as long.

It lasted for 18 holes but was definitely dull by the end of it

I was concerned about the weight too, but those thin ones aren't all that heavy. I'll head to the dollar store tonight and get to the field tomorrow to do some testing and report back

FWIW:

"There is no organization that verifies the use of "non-toxic" other than the company manufacturing or marketing the product. While CPSC requires some products to display hazard labeling, it conducts no oversight or enforcement of the use of the term "non-toxic.""

""Non-toxic" is not meaningful and can be misleading. There is no definition or standard used for judging whether a consumer product or its ingredients are "non-toxic," and no assurance that such a claim has been independently verified. A product that does not meet the definition of "toxic" according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission should not necessarily be considered non-toxic."

http://www.greenerchoices.org/eco-labels/label.cfm?LabelID=131

Anxiously awaiting the report.

You can also smoosh fireflies on a disc, it works but it's not as bright and I'm pretty sure u have to smoosh them whilst they are glowing.

I've used sports tape to stick the bracelets to the underside of my discs for night golf. I didn't notice any difference in flight, and it made the Champ discs very easy to find.

"There is no organization that verifies the use of "non-toxic" other than the company manufacturing or marketing the product. While CPSC requires some products to display hazard labeling, it conducts no oversight or enforcement of the use of the term "non-toxic.""

""Non-toxic" is not meaningful and can be misleading. There is no definition or standard used for judging whether a consumer product or its ingredients are "non-toxic," and no assurance that such a claim has been independently verified. A product that does not meet the definition of "toxic" according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission should not necessarily be considered non-toxic."

great, so after seeing what it does to a disc odds say i wont be able to have children

They pop right into the grooved rim of the groove.

I mean, what a perfect use for the groove, and it flies much better after you affix the glow bracelet...

if only...

Latest posts