• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it ethical for pros to play in their local tournaments?

I'd give my middle nut to have Nate Doss or Simon show up to our club championship and kick everyone's a$$es.

You can have Doss and Simon - I will take Lloyd Weema over either. The prestige an event would gain from that name is priceless.

Losing was probably the wrong word. Lets say the average disc golfer has $500 of disposable income. With no chance of cashing because out of town ringers come in, they can play a maximum of 10, $50 tournaments and then they are done for the year. If the ringers don't come to town and the local player can rattle off $200 worth of cashes, they can play an additional 4 tournaments each year. Multiply this by 5 or so local players, you are really affecting your entries at the end of the year.

I don't compartmentalize my money like that but if I did, it would make a little more sense.

I come at it from the point of view of someone that has no chance of cashing regardless of who I'm playing against so playing for the fun it is my only option.

I always thought the point of running a tournament was to attract the best players regardless of the tier of the event.

When I was 970+, I cherished the chance to play against the top pros around the country, and I've been lucky to play with just about every top-player that was around those years. Why would you not want the top pros coming to your event??

I think what eventually will happen is that there will no longer be anyone playing pro who is under 970 in the next 10 years. There will be more and more 1000+ rated players across the country that these low-level pros will probably quit or the advanced field will start being 950-975 rated players as the norm.

I think what eventually will happen is that there will no longer be anyone playing pro who is under 970 in the next 10 years. There will be more and more 1000+ rated players across the country that these low-level pros will probably quit or the advanced field will start being 950-975 rated players as the norm.

It's an interesting thought---that the growing pool of players will mean more properly-rated players in all divisions, chasing off those who "play up" and then complain.

But with a limited number of slots in any given event, they may still be filled with a range of players, including pros < 970 and Advanced < 935.

It seems to me, around here, that there has been slow movement towards divisions with properly-rated players over the years, and that trend will probably continue.

I always thought the point of running a tournament was to attract the best players regardless of the tier of the event.

This is exactly it. The tournament with the better players is a better tournament.

I have to retract my earlier understanding of Josh. The coffee wasn't working yet. There still seems to be a sense of entitlement and some butthurt over not winning. If said player with the $500 budget doesn't win the $200 to go play in more tournaments, the better player gets that $200 and goes and spends it more tournaments. And that is what it is all about.

Maybe you should host a 'local only' tournament and see how well it goes. After loosing that one, maybe reduce it to 'my block only':rolleyes:

It's an interesting thought---that the growing pool of players will mean more properly-rated players in all divisions, chasing off those who "play up" and then complain.

But with a limited number of slots in any given event, they may still be filled with a range of players, including pros < 970 and Advanced < 935.

It seems to me, around here, that there has been slow movement towards divisions with properly-rated players over the years, and that trend will probably continue.
Here in the UK, a lot of our tournaments don't even offer MA1. Our best players are around the 980 mark, so that means all the MA1 standard,940+, players want to play open.

By not having an MA1 division it means we don't create a vacuum, sucking all the INT players up into ADV, and REC up into INT, etc etc. It seems to work quite well.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I love this thread

All other opinions aside, I'm still curious about your personal opinion on the ethical part.
I would like to here you elaborate on the ethics. Especially since some years ago before when the idea of full time touring disc golfer was taking off those guys were often the local pros... some of them still are in some areas.

I remeber Feldberg running a tourney in arizona. So he was the TD. He did not have his name listed as a open player participant leading up to it but...u guessed it...played in the tourney and won.
Also he paid out Ams in his sponsored plastic/swag.
Idk. That experience just felt dirty.

Im not saying he did anything wrong. I just had a gross feeling about the whole thing.

I remeber Feldberg running a tourney in arizona. So he was the TD. He did not have his name listed as a open player participant leading up to it but...u guessed it...played in the tourney and won.

Im not saying he did anything wrong. I just had a gross feeling about the whole thing.

Yea, we have a TD in WI who has done something similar to this a few times. He will run an event with added cash and if no one signs up for pro masters then he will just play pro masters and take a cut of the added cash.

Yea, we have a TD in WI who has done something similar to this a few times. He will run an event with added cash and if no one signs up for pro masters then he will just play pro masters and take a cut of the added cash.

I think this may be what the OP may have been talking about in the original post.
Some situations just don't seem on the up and up...

Personally played in tourneys where the TD was a Pro and he played and nobody thought it strange. The whole busy TD thing must've gotten to him because he usually tanked in the last round.
I have played in tourneys where I was the TD (I'm not a Pro, BTW) but I tanked, so I quit playing and TD'ing in the same tourney.

Elsewhere, people are complaining about pros who only play, and never run tournaments or do anything to give back.

I have never seen a "pro" doing course maintenance or picking up trash.
Thats what i want to see...

Its an illusion to think the "pro" running a tourney in your small town is a way to give back. Its just a way to make money off you.

I have never seen a "pro" doing course maintenance or picking up trash.
Thats what i want to see...

Its an illusion to think the "pro" running a tourney in your small town is a way to give back. Its just a way to make money off you.

Running a tournament, even a local one, is still a lot of work. If a pro does that and then wins I see no problem with that.
I disagree, it is giving back. The locals know all the pros, they don't have to participate if they think it's unfair.

Running a tournament, even a local one, is still a lot of work. If a pro does that and then wins I see no problem with that.
I disagree, it is giving back. The locals know all the pros, they don't have to participate if they think it's unfair.

Idk. I dont usually put financial incentive and "giving back" in the same sentence.

Only thing I see w to be a flaw is if the Pro/National Tour touring pro has set up the tournament is the Tournament director and then plays it, even worse if they had designed/modified the actual the course to their unique playing style not just the tournament to have OB and mandatory's to what the Touring Pro does play best. This is unfair bending of rules in the way they were probably not really designed to be used in most circumstance.

Last edited: