• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it ethical for pros to play in their local tournaments?

Whiskey_Jim

And claim the winning spoil.With the season done the question came to mind. Seems like the opposite of sandbagging.

Where is the line? Someone who has played a tour event? Cashed at a tour event? This year? Ever? Aren't all MPO players pros? The top 10? 50? ranked can only play?
I don't understand the question being about ethics... can a pro play in the pro division? um... why not?

This is a "problem" that is usually solved by opportunity cost. That is, when someone has to make a choice between two (or more) mutually-exclusive options, the cost of choosing one thing is the loss of the other things.

In this case, a red-hot tip-top touring pro who chooses to play a C-tier for that sweet, sweet no-cash-added payout is missing the opportunity to play a B-tier, A-tier, or better on the same weekend which has added cash, more prestige, a bonus payout from their sponsor, a YouTube bonus from their sponsor, and so on.

Last edited:
This is a "problem" that is usually solved by opportunity cost. That is, when someone has to make a choice between two (or more) mutually-exclusive options, the cost of choosing one thing is the loss of the other things.

In this case, a red-hot tip-top touring pro who chooses to play a C-tier for that sweet, sweet no-cash-added payout is missing the opportunity to play a B-tier, A-tier, or better on the same weekend which has added cash, more prestige, a bonus payout from their sponsor, a YouTube bonus from their sponsor, and so on.

huh? :doh:

And claim the winning spoil.With the season done the question came to mind. Seems like the opposite of sandbagging.

So because I practice a certain course more often then others that then means I have an unfair advantage?

We've had top pros at our local C-tier, and even unsanctioned events. Trust me, nobody objects. We're honored, and the top local players like the challenge of competing against them.

Surprisingly, even though they're earning a living touring the big tournaments, some of these guys also enjoy playing disc golf.

This is some of the most ridiccolous reasoning i've heard in a long time. Just because someone has elected to play some big events does not mean that it would be unethical of them to play small ones as well. I've been beaten by a 1040+ rated player in my local c tier and that is something I really enjoyed.

So local events shouldn't offer pro divisions at all? I mean, how else do you interpret a question of whether pros should be playing local tournaments? Are we talking top pros only (and we'll need a definition of "top" pros)? And what qualifies as a local tournament? There were two A-tiers within a 25 minute drive of my home this year. Should I have not played them since they were local and I'm a pro? Should I not play the C-tier on my home course this weekend?

These are important questions, I wouldn't want to do anything unethical.

How many other sports are out there where regular working stiff locals can play and compete against those that are at the top of that sport?

The fact that it's possible and happens quite frequently in disc golf is something I think the majority of players appreciate as one of the things that make disc golf special and welcome any pro that plays in local smaller events.

Chances are too that someone is going to learn something from said pro and the level of play will naturally increase as, regardless of the sport, people will play at a higher level when the competition is higher.

other locals probably have just as good a chance to win. I mean, I have played in places where people are 920 rated players but shoot 1000+ golf on the one course they practice all the time

Either way - its the open division, anyone can play, no ethics questions needed.

Eventually (not necessarily soon) there will be a Tour Card that actually means something. At that point it may make sense to have a tier of events from which those players are excluded.

I don't know about other places but in Virginia the "local pro" field is sharply in decline. This is almost certainly partially due to the fact that the players at the top have gotten much better.

Funny how this is currently just above the Lloyd Weema thread.