• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it normal?

LeBryson James

Double Eagle Member
Alright I have been playing for only 4 months and only Backhanding for 2 months. My max D is 450-475 but I have hit 500ft once. But I can put all my drivers at 425ft repetitively. What I want to know is, Is this normal? I am 18 and played baseball/basketball all my life and I watched videos on technique. I still have "some" control issues when my focus is down but other than that I am consistent Distance-wise. So is this normal? Oh and while I am at it... I have more consistency with fairway drivers than my 13 speeds is that normal as well? Thanks DGCR peers!

Also what does OAT mean?

Last edited:
Alright I have been playing for only 4 months and only Backhanding for 2 months. My max D is 450-475 but I have hit 500ft once. But I can put all my drivers at 425ft repetitively. What I want to know is, Is this normal? I am 18 and played baseball/basketball all my life and I watched videos on technique. I still have "some" control issues when my focus is down but other than that I am consistent Distance-wise. So is this normal? Oh and while I am at it... I have more consistency with fairway drivers than my 13 speeds is that normal as well? Thanks DGCR peers!

Also what does OAT mean?

If those distances are accurate then you're doing pretty damn good! Off axis torque, and unpleasant wobble of the disc caused by pitiful form. I have unfortunately perfected it. :wall:

I think more consistency with fairway drivers as opposed to speed 13 is normal. That's a pretty impressive distance.

Search threads by usernames kachtz and searchingfordistance. :popcorn:

Look at all the drives of all the other players at your home courses. You're probably out-driving 95% of them. So, if you're distance is true, then you're good kid.

Now just work on control, and putting, and start playing some tourneys.

If those distances are accurate then you're doing pretty damn good! Off axis torque, and unpleasant wobble of the disc caused by pitiful form. I have unfortunately perfected it. :wall:

It might be you "flicking" your wrist before you fully extending your arm. This also looses control and distance. (look at me giving advise for only playing 4 months lol)

But for BH for 2 months and topped out at 500ft? I think I might be a super human!! :hfive:

15186038.jpg

My max D is 450-475 but I have hit 500ft once. But I can put all my drivers at 425ft repetitively. What I want to know is, Is this normal?

Nope.

You're a freak....but in a good way! :D

I've never thrown anything that far,

not even a politician...and believe me, there's nothing in the world I want to be farther away from than one of those!

Wait...I take that back.

Not about the politician.

I DID throw aerobie rings in the 500' range consistently a few years ago, and I'm over 50. So I guess these guys are right: you're terrible. give it up. ;)

I find this incredibly difficult to believe, but if it's true? I'd be happy about that. I kind of want this kid to be a prodigy. Not like I'm going to be any competition, so at least I have someone to cheer for.

Now stop thinking about distance and focus on accuracy. You're already using the right discs for that. Welcome to the sport.

Video or it didn't happen.

Oh if it's true, I'm going to quit playing disc golf and start taking up something that I can be good at, like trolling Disc Golf forums and drinking Red Bull

Wow man. If you're really reaching that distance, then congratulations. That is in NO WAY normal. Most people don't throw that far in their life. I know I don't yet...

If you could get a video up, I'd love to see your form since I've been working on mine. I'm having a difficult time pivoting.

AAAHHHH!!

Also what does OAT mean?

Since 100% envy seems to be culturally accepted these days...I HATE YOU! Just kidding.

You either have really bad distance estimates or you are naturally talented at disc golf. If the later, learn to putt and control your fairways. Other than that I can't help you in any way. Enjoy the game and have fun.

I have trouble believing this as well, but it is possible. There have been several new players pop up throwing surprisingly well. Maybe he will be the next Kachtz

Don't listen to the doubters. I absolutely believe it. I got the same crap when I first joined the forum. Don't get complacent, though. You can always get better.

Latest posts