• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this too tight?

Why the pavers on the sides of the tee box? I prefer all sides be level to allow various teeing angles and to reduce injury potential.
The pic is 1.5 yrs old. I think the pavers were just sitting there and were set in the ground flush later... At least I don't recall them being like that the last time I was there, lol...

...#memoryproblems

I would endeavor to avoid any interaction with the less than friendly neighbors. The tee seems a bit too close to the "ET's"(early trees). Perhaps the tee could be adjusted to restrict the left of the tee shot factor even more. Sometimes just a few feet left, right, up or back can make a big difference.

In the near future, this hole will probably need to be adjusted. I think those are all ash trees...

The pic is 1.5 yrs old. I think the pavers were just sitting there and were set in the ground flush later... At least I don't recall them being like that the last time I was there, lol...

...#memoryproblems

That's good -- the elevated pavers being gone, not your memory loss! ;)

I don't think the gap looks bad, but the limbs could make it a little too small depending on how leafy they get.

Thats what she said - to the title and so many comments in this thread, thats what she said.

I don't think the gap looks bad, but the limbs could make it a little too small depending on how leafy they get.

Michael-Scott-The-Office-Thats-What-She-Said-Meme.jpg

Here's my local flavor hole: (TWSS)

picture.php

Nevin, #7. Do or die. Missing the gap can be instant 5 territory.

But it checks the boxes some others are talking about. It's a short par 3 (205ish) so you could conceivably jump putt twice and tap in the par. I have a hate/hate relationship with this hole LOL. (TWSS)

I think the key to a gauntlet hole, or this sort of "throwing out of a deep walk-in closet" hole, is that the course only really suffers if it makes a habit out of this sort of tee area. One tee on the course is a design feature. Multiples like this are more of a gimmick, and for me just too annoying.

Where near-tee area obstacles start to grate on me are more the sort that FORCE a certain shot over another. Like, a tree very close to the tee, offset, so for example the only conceivable shot options are LHBH or RHFH. I'm all for a mix of "lefty" and "righty" holes, but dictating narrow shot options off the tee is, IMPO, a bit much.

Last edited:
^Double tricky about this hole is, there's a "pit of despair" drop off like 2' past the basket. For me, hitting this line is fairly consistent on that full throw, but I have to power down too, to avoid the dropoff, and that is now my struggle, hitting the same line at like 65% power.

I dont know about removing the small tree until you see how it actually plays but everything else is spot on to clean up right now. Then evaluate the small tree.

You cant hit that gap, then make the next gap...You dont need a ton of risks the first is good enough.

0755b380.jpg

Looks fine to me. Here is one of our local tight gaps. The double double mando. You cant see in the pic but there is a barbed wire fence just out of picture left, that separates the course from a rather unfriendly apartment complex...Sooo much pucker factor playing this hole in a tourney.

Doesnt the double mando force more odd kicks in to the unfriendly zone? Hope this is not a Mando for safety. Those are never acceptable.

Nah, this was definitely done on purpose, by a veteran designer, to make a more challenging tee shot. Not for safety. It you had ever been to this course you would understand. nearly every hole is wide open on an old 9hole ball golf course. Not a lot of unused land here. So each hole has something to pucker you. Death putts, baskets set on hills, and the fence that surrounds the entire place.

What does the scoring data show? Steve could probability provide the appropriate percentage but I'd say if <20-30% are getting through then it's too tight.

Or if anyone has the data what's the angular accuracy of rec, intermediate and advanced players. It's impossible to tell the angular width on the gap from this pic.

At least 75% or more players of the skill level a hole is designed for should probably be getting through. 67% is my lowest threshold when testing a design. Otherwise, you're just randomly scrambling those who get through and those who don't. Think about a wide open hole at 235 feet where everyone of a skill level can reach it. Even then, fewer than 100% will get into the circle every time. If you now add goal posts where only half of these similarly skilled players get through every time, it's essentially a random coin flip and doesn't really test their throwing skill.

Hate to say it but I have to. Both holes in question are biased towards right hand backhand throwers.

In the first pic, the smaller tree on the left is further away than the larger one on the right, lending to favor a shot thrown from the left side of the box.

In the second pic, the second row of trees you need to clear, It's clear that the tree on the right is more towards the center making it harder for a LHBH thrower to send a disc directly at the pin.

I have no problem with the gap width because it's the same for everyone.......box bias leaning towards favoring either a righty or lefty is a bad deal.

Having built a forest style course, and encountering many many complaints about tight tunnels and "chuck and pray" holes...just wondering what the thoughts are on this?

18057041_10211042272765213_567501028131169761_n.jpg
Way too tight and really just a contrived way of making a bad hole passable from the looks of it.
0755b380.jpg

Looks fine to me. Here is one of our local tight gaps. The double double mando. You cant see in the pic but there is a barbed wire fence just out of picture left, that separates the course from a rather unfriendly apartment complex...Sooo much pucker factor playing this hole in a tourney.
This one ain't as bad but I think it's gimmicky tight as well.
Hate to say it but I have to. Both holes in question are biased towards right hand backhand throwers.

I have no problem with the gap width because it's the same for everyone.......box bias leaning towards favoring either a righty or lefty is a bad deal.
I don't think it's biased towards any backhand players. It's biased towards FH or any other style that can stand and deliver without taking their eyes off the target. I agree about the box bias though, I'm for equal opportunities off the tee.

0755b380.jpg

Those loose bricks on the side of the tee pad are more scary than the mando!

Then again, that would likely push me to stand and deliver anyway.