• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this too tight?

This one ain't as bad but I think it's gimmicky tight as well.

I agree its gimmicky, but its starting to grow on me. Especially since at the tourney we played there it wasn't a re-tee situation. They put a drop zone at the bottom of the slope in front of the tee, which made it a lot easier to decide to go for it. It also is one of those shots that makes you feel real good when you park it in a tourney and the other three guys missed the mandos or chickened out and threw it into the ground about halfway there.:thmbup:

The pic is 1.5 yrs old. I think the pavers were just sitting there and were set in the ground flush later... At least I don't recall them being like that the last time I was there, lol...

...#memoryproblems

Those loose bricks on the side of the tee pad are more scary than the mando!

Then again, that would likely push me to stand and deliver anyway.

Havent been back since the tourney there in early april so I still cant confirm with my memory problems..;)

I agree its gimmicky, but its starting to grow on me. Especially since at the tourney we played there it wasn't a re-tee situation. They put a drop zone at the bottom of the slope in front of the tee, which made it a lot easier to decide to go for it. It also is one of those shots that makes you feel real good when you park it in a tourney and the other three guys missed the mandos or chickened out and threw it into the ground about halfway there.:thmbup:

When trees get that close, that tight, everybody hits them eventually, even the best players. Tees like this are kind of like starting PGA players in a sand trap or something. I don't hardly ever throw through gaps like this anymore, I just flick a roller through them and take an easy, boring par. Way better than risking a fluky grip slip barely nick the side of a tree and go careening into some brier patch 20' right and behind the tee.

Yea I get that. The week before I did that park job, I threw a brand new FR Streamline trace into the second tree on the right and shot it across the fence. just happened to get lucky and a couple girls came outside and threw it back for me.

Oh, and this course was designed by a guy who is known for his ability to throw a BH roller in tight places.

I've had some really good tee shots from that hole (Dunham 16), and I don't ever remember hitting any of the four trees. However, I've also gone too timid and had the wind (the course is up on a hilltop) toss my wimpy shot OB left over the bushes and to the path with no good shot back in bounds.

Initially, Fred had the tee right up to the line between the back trees, and I mentioned the possibility folks might throw out too vigorously and follow through with a backhand bark smack. He moved it back a little. And the bricks are now flush with the ground and not an issue.

I personally don't feel it's too tight at all, I play tons of courses around Wisconsin with tight gaps like this (Rollin' Ridge and Sandy Point are good examples}. Just tests people's consistency with hitting the tightest lines.

That is too tight. Without knowing what is beyond it & yet to come, it's still just too tight.
I'm seeing more & more courses that have "fairways" that are ridiculous, along with stupid pin placement.
It seems the "designers" are trying to send a message that they will not have their course aced or birdied easily.

Well, I'm apparently in the minority here. Neither the gap in the original pic or in the 2nd pic would bother me. I'm not saying I wouldn't hit a tree on occasion, but I'm OK with that. Regarding the firt pic, a little trimming could be in order, but I wouldn't take out that first left tree without playing the hole a lot first. Plus that pic is taken from behind the tee. It might look a lot different from the front of the tee.

I can also appreciate a forced throw off of the tee. I wouldn't want every hole to force a particular throw, but sometimes I really enjoy playing very restrictive holes. I don't throw forehand very often, so being forced to do so on occasion has expanded my options and improve my game.