• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Issues Report Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is nitpicky but something I noticed and I'm not sure if the DGCR 1.0 had this going on but "States played" is listed under the "Reviews" tab (which is fine) but not under the "Courses" tab, which I would think is where it would be found before looking under "Reviews".
Your suggestion makes a ton of sense, but DGCR's always been that way.

Yes, the addition of the ignore button is a very welcome feature. It has made my life that much more peaceful on this board by ignoring one or two of the more persistent offenders.
Am I experiencing Mandela Effect?

This post by foxdawg, quoting another user exclaiming the same thing, used as an example.

I've seen maybeeee half a dozen posts in recent weeks saying that the addition of an ignore button is a welcome new feature. I swear - for the last half of a decade at least every other week someone has been telling me to put people on ignore. "Ignore the posts about smaller baskets!" "Ignore the posts about being a short person in Minnesota!" "Ignore the faux Clinton outrage!"

What was changed in the design that took the ignore feature, which already existed, and brought it to peoples' attention?

Why does the site now only highlight the previous 5 reviews? The old page had 11 on the front page PLUS any reviews less than 3 days old ended up on page 2, 3, etc. As I'm writing this (1440 ET), the last review on the page is less than 2 hours old and has zero thumbs up (besides my own). If reviews are getting pushed off the main page that fast, isn't that one more discouragement for writing reviews?

Why does the site now only highlight the previous 5 reviews? The old page had 11 on the front page PLUS any reviews less than 3 days old ended up on page 2, 3, etc. As I'm writing this (1440 ET), the last review on the page is less than 2 hours old and has zero thumbs up (besides my own). If reviews are getting pushed off the main page that fast, isn't that one more discouragement for writing reviews?
Strong agreement here.

I do recall a recent suggestion to revise the homepage so it includes two columns of reviews (at the expense of something that's less interesting to most members, like maybe Hole Tips or Tournaments....)

It seems like the current homepage is underplaying the thing that differentiates the site: course reviews. If it isn't possible to change the current layout, could the bottom of the box have a big ol' "More" button...something that would take you to a similar layout like what's in the "Recent course reviews" box now, but endlessly scrollable?

The "new Reviews" page under "What's New" isn't bad - but it's missing the location of the course being reviewed (something that I find important).

Last edited:
Strong agreement here.

I do recall a recent suggestion to revise the homepage so it includes two columns of reviews (at the expense of something that's less interesting to most members, like maybe Hole Tips or Tournaments....)

It seems like the current homepage is underplaying the thing that differentiates the site: course reviews. If it isn't possible to change the current layout, could the bottom of the box have a big ol' "More" button...something that would take you to a similar layout like what's in the "Recent course reviews" box now, but endlessly scrollable?

The "new Reviews" page under "What's New" isn't bad - but it's missing the location of the course being reviewed (something that I find important).
Strong agreement seconded on this. I miss being able to get to work on Monday and check out the several new reviews I missed over the weekend.

Totally agree with the last three posts.

Reviews are what DGCR does best. They make DGCR worth visiting over other DG sites. Recent reviews should be the most prominent thing on the home page.

I think we can add "view more" link to the new reviews widget .. the link would take you to New reviews
The page layout will be updated to show more info like course location and we will get filters working
View attachment 314670

I can get this live tomorrow .
Thanks Dev! Your responsiveness is always appreciated!

I totally agree that more recent reviews should be visible, and I would still support another home page redesign as I said previously in this thread Issues Report Thread and Issues Report Thread

...That said, I think that the volume of reviews the past few weeks has also been pretty high. Specifically, I feel like I have seen a lot of new people writing good quality reviews. I see this as evidence that bringing DGCR into the modern era is already starting to pay off :) (and the UDisc price hike isn't hurting either I imagine). Keep up the great work Greens and Dev!

Thanks Dev! Your responsiveness is always appreciated!
Second this!

I'll also add that after some major gripes about the site, there has been tremendous progress since then. Still a couple small things I'd like to see (such as being able to sort my courses played by date); but, overall, it's been a fun change.

How come I don't appear in Top Course Baggers?

At 475, I should be on the 2nd page (at #85), but when I click "See more" and check... I'm a ghost.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230809-064537.png
    Screenshot_20230809-064537.png
    263.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230809-064416.png
    Screenshot_20230809-064416.png
    273.6 KB · Views: 0
How come I don't appear in Top Course Baggers?

At 475, I should be on the 2nd page (at #85), but when I click "See more" and check... I'm a ghost.
I see your name on the second page

1691579438987.png
please note this page doesn't count extinct courses ( unless you check the checkbox for that )

Am I experiencing Mandela Effect?

This post by foxdawg, quoting another user exclaiming the same thing, used as an example.

I've seen maybeeee half a dozen posts in recent weeks saying that the addition of an ignore button is a welcome new feature. I swear - for the last half of a decade at least every other week someone has been telling me to put people on ignore. "Ignore the posts about smaller baskets!" "Ignore the posts about being a short person in Minnesota!" "Ignore the faux Clinton outrage!"

What was changed in the design that took the ignore feature, which already existed, and brought it to peoples' attention?
I think the difference is that it's much easier to do now. Hover on username or avatar, and clicky

I think the difference is that it's much easier to do now. Hover on username or avatar, and clicky
I have noticed a significant uptick in reviews being posted when the reviewer has not played the course within the past six months. Some reviews show more than 4 years elapsing between playing the course and posting a review. Review guidelines (including that 6-month timeframe) used to pop up when you started to write a review; I don't see them now. Are they gone altogether, or are they in a different spot?

I have noticed a significant uptick in reviews being posted when the reviewer has not played the course within the past six months. Some reviews show more than 4 years elapsing between playing the course and posting a review. Review guidelines (including that 6-month timeframe) used to pop up when you started to write a review; I don't see them now. Are they gone altogether, or are they in a different spot?
^this. it also provided this link to help with your review: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/threads/tips-for-rating-courses-objectively.23850/

I've never been a fan of that thread, as the post says the amenities and navigation are the most important, and doesn't even say to talk about the holes themselves. I don't mind it not being shown. But the other guidelines are super important - when you last played, don't advertise, don't use swear words, etc.

I've never been a fan of that thread, as the post says the amenities and navigation are the most important, and doesn't even say to talk about the holes themselves. I don't mind it not being shown. But the other guidelines are super important - when you last played, don't advertise, don't use swear words, etc.
A few ground rules:
  • Stick to reviewing and commenting on the course and not other reviews/reviewers.
  • Please do not actively promote other courses in your review.
  • A course review is *not* the place to advertise your business/website.
  • Do not give an artificially low/high rating to try to influence the overall rating. Please give an honest rating.
  • Refrain from cursing and/or using profanity in your review.
  • Do not reference any illegal or drug related activities in your review.
  • Only rate a course if you have played a majority of the holes on it.
  • Do not review a course unless you have played it recently (ie. within the last 6-12 months)
* Not abiding by one or more of the rules above may result in the removal of your review from the site.

What makes a good review?
  • Back up that rating with a decent written review. Entering "Good course" as a Pro won't help anybody understand where your rating came from. Tell us why it was a good or bad course in more than 4 words.
  • Be detailed and specific. What was it you liked about the course? What was it that you disliked?
  • Try to judge the course objectively and on its own merits. Not every course deserves a high rating.
  • Remember, a "5" is considered the ultimate. There is absolutely nothing that could be done to improve the course. It is perfect in every possible way.
  • Tips on rating courses objectively

A few ground rules:
  • Stick to reviewing and commenting on the course and not other reviews/reviewers.
  • Please do not actively promote other courses in your review.
  • A course review is *not* the place to advertise your business/website.
  • Do not give an artificially low/high rating to try to influence the overall rating. Please give an honest rating.
  • Refrain from cursing and/or using profanity in your review.
  • Do not reference any illegal or drug related activities in your review.
  • Only rate a course if you have played a majority of the holes on it.
  • Do not review a course unless you have played it recently (ie. within the last 6-12 months)
* Not abiding by one or more of the rules above may result in the removal of your review from the site.

What makes a good review?
  • Back up that rating with a decent written review. Entering "Good course" as a Pro won't help anybody understand where your rating came from. Tell us why it was a good or bad course in more than 4 words.
  • Be detailed and specific. What was it you liked about the course? What was it that you disliked?
  • Try to judge the course objectively and on its own merits. Not every course deserves a high rating.
  • Remember, a "5" is considered the ultimate. There is absolutely nothing that could be done to improve the course. It is perfect in every possible way.
  • Tips on rating courses objectively
yes. that needs displayed somewhere people can see before/as they review a course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts