• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Issues with the DD ranger bag should we be concerned?

So is the Physical Flight Contender

man i really wish they still made the Challenger. I would have one right now. That bag was so clean. The Contender is cluttered and clunky looking.

man i really wish they still made the Challenger. I would have one right now. That bag was so clean. The Contender is cluttered and clunky looking.

Interesting. Since they slimmed down the Challenger to make the Contender, they could very well have kept them both I imagine. I was a little underwhelmed by the wedge look of the Challenger and actually didn't mind the Contender. I had a really tough time choosing between the Contender and the Ergo. Dropping that kind of coin for something I couldn't try on before buying really made a tough decision that much harder.

In the end, I liked the compact package (I really like the 2-3 disc sleeves), configurability, and aluminum frame of the Ergo. After watching Sarah Hokum's video review, I was sold. I will say that while I like that the rainfly will keep the back of the bag from getting soaked while you're wearing it, it looks like it would be a real pain to take on and off every time you grab/drop the bag. I'm not a big fan of playing in the rain though so it may never get used.

8563216457_09299e1769.jpg

I agree with you, but according to their website it is. I'll also say that the Challenger looks better (to me) in videos than the pics. I like the winged rhino logo too. MJ's wearing one in his recent skins match against Cam Todd.

The Contender is our all new sleek, sexy, comfortable bag for the 2013 disc golf season. Our previous Challenger bag had a new year resolution to slim down but maintain all its strength and so the CONTENDER was born. We are currently taking pre-orders for all bags. Bags are tentatively to ship after March 20, 2013 as colors arrive. Check for more pictures and video reviews on the side bar on this page…

Last edited:
I agree with you, but according to their website it is.

it really is too bad. If I could get a Challenger in anything but black and gray I would be happy. Oh well, more than likely I will get the new smaller prodiscus bag when it comes out. Plus Prodiscus has a way better logo.

No interest in the Ergo?

nope....looks like a PITA. I don't like the zipped putter pocket. Getting to some discs seem like it would require to open the whole thing up. That and it is super UGLY!
I would be more inclined to go with UPD Shift before the Ergo.

I do kind of like the Flak as well but a little smaller version would be more ideal. One with the high side of disc capacity at 20

nope....looks like a PITA. I don't like the zipped putter pocket. Getting to some discs seem like it would require to open the whole thing up. That and it is super UGLY!
I would be more inclined to go with UPD Shift before the Ergo.

Fair enough. You do know that you can hang the front flap down, use the putter pocket that's inside it, and bypass the clip, right? I can't help you disliking the look though. It reminds me of an old hiking pack I used to have and love.

Fair enough. You do know that you can hang the front flap down, use the putter pocket that's inside it, and bypass the clip, right? I can't help you disliking the look though. It reminds me of an old hiking pack I used to have and love.

Ya and thats the PITA part for me. You gotta have the bag super wide open for it to be convenient. I would also be kind of paranoid about my stuff falling out (though I realize it wouldnt). When I was watching Will on that final round of the Memorial, it looked inconvenient so to say.
Definitely does look like some old school hiking bag designs. Personally I wish Osprey would make a bag. I love that thing! 40lbs feels like nothing. Maybe I should try to start an email campaign. Any of the premium backpacking companies would be ideal (Arc'teryx, Gregory, or Osprey). A proper hip belt....drool.....

Ya and thats the PITA part for me. You gotta have the bag super wide open for it to be convenient. I would also be kind of paranoid about my stuff falling out (though I realize it wouldnt). When I was watching Will on that final round of the Memorial, it looked inconvenient so to say.
Definitely does look like some old school hiking bag designs. Personally I wish Osprey would make a bag. I love that thing! 40lbs feels like nothing. Maybe I should try to start an email campaign. Any of the premium backpacking companies would be ideal (Arc'teryx, Gregory, or Osprey). A proper hip belt....drool.....

I'm more worried about friends playing jokes on me over losing a disc due to the bag for sure. This is my first backpack so it's a bit of a gamble.

If you could get a proper backpack company to build a bag that keeps it off your back...I'm in for sure. I sweat like a whore in church on Sunday, and my back sees most of that. It's too bad a decent hiking pack costs a small fortune.

If you could get a proper backpack company to build a bag that keeps it off your back...I'm in for sure. I sweat like a whore in church on Sunday, and my back sees most of that. It's too bad a decent hiking pack costs a small fortune.

Thats why I like Osprey I paid $270 for this one. That was like 4-5 years ago tho. I am a sweaty pig too. I can go all weekend with this bag and not get any rash or chaffing at all. I actually just sent them an email.

That's a damn nice price for a decent bag. If Moosejaw carries them, I'm sure they're a quality pack. The last one I bought (can't remember the name) was well over a decade ago, and it was ~$450. My ex at the time managed to sneak it out of the house when we split (well worth the loss though!), and I've been too cheap to buy another one. I check them out when I go into stores, but I don't hike/camp enough to need anything more than my old day pack. Let me know if you hear anything back from them.

If I could get my hands on an Osprey Escapist 30 to see if discs fit in the lower compartment, it could be an excellent disc golf bag. Slightly pricey for a DIY, though.

Interesting. Since they slimmed down the Challenger to make the Contender, they could very well have kept them both I imagine. I was a little underwhelmed by the wedge look of the Challenger and actually didn't mind the Contender. I had a really tough time choosing between the Contender and the Ergo. Dropping that kind of coin for something I couldn't try on before buying really made a tough decision that much harder.

In the end, I liked the compact package (I really like the 2-3 disc sleeves), configurability, and aluminum frame of the Ergo. After watching Sarah Hokum's video review, I was sold. I will say that while I like that the rainfly will keep the back of the bag from getting soaked while you're wearing it, it looks like it would be a real pain to take on and off every time you grab/drop the bag. I'm not a big fan of playing in the rain though so it may never get used.

Hey guys, we liked the challenger too however on size and functionality the Contender is very close. The pics on the website make it look more boxy than it is. The depth is the same as the Chally and only difference in height and width is 2 inches. When we get all the contender bags in I will set up some pictures of them side by side. Also I could not face the fact that we would have to continue to charge over $200 for a bag just because of production costs on the old Chally.

Btw to answer a question about material the fade gear bag is made of 200-400d poly.

DD Ranger < Grip. The ranger felt super cheap to me....

Rastaman I have seen your grip in some photos. Thanks for the input.

How does storage compare in the two models for jackets and non disc items? It seemed in the EMAC video the DD top compartment provided a lot more storage than the grip side pockets.