• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Issues with throttled down throws

attik34

Birdie Member
Any tips for working at not a full throw?

When I'm throwing a disc at what I'd call my full throw, I feel so comfortable and smooth. When I slow down on it, I feel like I'm way off, and have a very inconsistant release.

Just looking for consistancy tips on that.

Rather than slowing down the hit, try taking fewer steps or not reaching back as far. There's not a lot you can do at the hit while maintaining consistency, but taking away what your lower body or torso add will take distance off but keep your release the same.

Try shortening your reach back. When I have an upshot (<150'), I typically only reach back as far as the left side of my rib cage.

above all, ensure you still accelerate through release, even if final velocity is less than full speed.

make sure you don't get to your final effort amount before the release and try and "coast" through the rest of the throw, or worse, try to back off mid-throw. always accelerate.

there are many ways to achieve this, but imho it's the key to ensuring consistency regardless of power level.

Just go balls out. Sounds like you're in doubt, so the old mantra "when in doubt, go balls out" applies to this situation.

J/K, I have problems with this too. I'll probably keep an eye on this thread to see what kind of replies you get that might help me as well. My standstill throws are entirely inconsistent if I've got to get more than 150' worth of juice on it. I feel like I've hit a wall with getting better at fairway rips or upshots that the lie doesn't allow a runup.

Thanks for asking. Hopefully you'll get some good tips that we both can benefit from.

how much are you needing to scale down? 80% power? 60% power? Less? Perhaps if you are trying to scale down a lot on a fairway, going down to a mid and up in power is a better option. Or if you are powering down a mid try tossing a putter at higher power.

I've been struggling with this as well, and just last night I "figured it out" some.

I started doing a pretty good reach back still, not quite as full as a full power drive, but more than I had been, and then just starting a slow smooth pull through. Still accelerating the entire time through my follow through, but at a MUCH slower acceleration.

I had the best night of upshots ever last night, every one felt good, smooth, accurate, and under control.

Previously i hadn't been reaching back on these 50%-75% throws very much at all. And i'd pull through with some weird motion and use wrist snap, and just all out of whack.

how much are you needing to scale down? 80% power? 60% power? Less? Perhaps if you are trying to scale down a lot on a fairway, going down to a mid and up in power is a better option. Or if you are powering down a mid try tossing a putter at higher power.

I just want to say I found this interesting. For me, my normal throws are between 60%-80% power. Powering down in my mind means 30%-50%. If I throw 90%-100% power, my form usually gets worse so my accuracy and power is off. (Ironically, that's how I was when I used to play ball golf.)

I just want to say I found this interesting. For me, my normal throws are between 60%-80% power. Powering down in my mind means 30%-50%. If I throw 90%-100% power, my form usually gets worse so my accuracy and power is off. (Ironically, that's how I was when I used to play ball golf.)

I'm basing 100% more on the max power you throw while maintaining some semblance of accuracy. So perhaps your 80% is what I am considering an 100% power throw.

I try to reduce my elbow chop and disc pivot. I also give it a little nose up. But I'm also terrible at this range (getting better!).

Rather than slowing down the hit, try taking fewer steps or not reaching back as far. There's not a lot you can do at the hit while maintaining consistency, but taking away what your lower body or torso add will take distance off but keep your release the same.

Great advice.....

Great advice.....

Seconded. :thmbup:

This is what works best for me, taking away my lower body allows me to power down the distance without really powering down my upper body motion. Either a stand and deliver type throw, or a one step plant and go. I usually prefer the one slow step just to get my body moving in that direction.

I don't know about attik, but when I asked this question, it was about a distance where I'd already taken away my runup and reach-back; and was already throwing a putter. The short answer for me was to throw a fh, ud, tp, roller, etc., but I thought that was pretty limiting.

What garu said, and you can also loosen your grip for less power.

Switching to a fan grip helps me with my lower power shots as well. Allows me to use the exact same technique, but with a slower hit. The disc comes out easier at the hit point, generating less "pop".

Yeah im definitely talkinga bout after i've taken all other limiting factors away...im throwing a putter...no run up...

When i say im throwing 60%...its in relation to what my "full" speed drive is...so if you think ur drive is actually a 60%..then im talking about when you throw about 35%..if that makes any sense at all

Play catch with a friend with putters and mids at varying distances to really develop a touch shot. Also power grip isn't as conducive to powering down as fan grip is.

Dont worry man, I got the same problem. Which is why I suck at short courses.

I agree with Garu.

Also, try learning to flick mids and putters (if you do not know already, sorry for assuming). These are great for standstill shots, bad lies, etc. Until about 3 months ago I never threw forehand, now the putter flick is probably my primary approach shot.

Yeah im definitely talkinga bout after i've taken all other limiting factors away...im throwing a putter...no run up...

... I think I can safely say "I agree with garu" is not the answer he's looking for.

Latest posts