• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jump putts

roadkill said:
Tim,
I've chosen to quote excerpts from your post because your viewpoints seemed to be shared by a significant percentage of golfers. I don't mean to pick on you by quoting you, I only want to express how I see it differently and expose "the other side of the coin" that many may not have considered.

Tim_the_Enchanter said:
I think the most a naive bystander would ask is "Is that legal?"
Well it is illegal inside 10m. Jump putt from 11m legal, jump putt from 9m illegal. Same shot different distance. I can see how some observers might think that is inconsistent or at the very least confusing.
Yes, and it's also illegal for me to follow through past my mark on a backhand/sidearm/overhand from 9m but is not illegal from 100m. Is that incosistent and confusing? Less ridiculous than that, would you say it's a foot fault to step past my mark on a 35' backhand approach after the release? If so, what is YOUR distance that we can step past our marks on the follow through? Or, are you saying we should get rid of the 10M rule completely (in the spirit of consistency :wink:)
I actually tried throwing illegal jump putts while practicing (releasing my disc after my foot left the ground), and it just felt wrong. Kind of like throwing a baseball with the wrong foot forward. It pretty much diminished any advantage gained from using the jump...all momentum was wasted.

I've heard this from many who jump putt saying releasing after leaving the ground would totally negate the advantage of jp-ing. I think when you do it illegal on purpose it would feel awkward but if you leave the ground a tenth of a second early you probably couldn't tell the difference from when releasing while still grounded.

It's not always easy to tell if there is holding in football, perhaps we should get rid of blocking. It's not always easy to tell if a baseball is fair or foul, perhaps we should get rid of foul balls altogether like in Cricket. It's not always easy to tell if a baketball player traveled or not. Maybe we should say both feet have to be flat on the floor when a player has the ball.

Let's be clear. Removing the jump putt is a CHANGE in the rules. The rules regarding stance are very clear. If someone is blatently violating the rules, call them on it. However, if you "think they might" have foot faulted, then take your lead from other sports and execute a "good no call." (IMO)

As to the aesthetics issue discussed earlier. There is nothing prettier than a disc going into the chains.

there are more foot faults happening on the fairways than on jump putts.
If you get it down it is greater than sliced bread, if you don't get it down you hate the jump putt and it drives you crazy.

Nothing better than a 100+ jump putt!

the falling putt was made illegal ~1974 or so at a world's overalls where Dan "Stork" Roddick (who is a lanky 6'5" or so) would basically lean forward, take a step, and drop in putts from like 7' away before his foot hit the ground.

that was in the era of basically using catch discs as golf discs and a chicken wire circle surrounding a stake in the ground as a basket.

i agree with matchu on the observation that most foot faults happen on approach shots.

i dont like the jump put. just doesnt feel comfortable. i prefer to step into my put instead, but i also prefer to run direct at the basket not loft em in. to me it is mor consistant to throw the long puts almost like an approach.

to prevent gratuatous blow by i generally use an anhyser line thrown slightly nose up. done correctly the disc will stall out just around the basket every time if you dont hit the chains.

I only use jump putts when I'm out 50'+. Although anything outside of 90' I will use more of a midrange throw, but it's a slow toss with nice follow through.

I absolutely Jump Putt My range for a Jump putt is 45 - 100' sometimes I will jump putt inside 45' but most times it's when I'm outside 45' I consider the jump putt a very useful tool and I'm pretty good at it.plus if anything I dont' have to worry about a skip and roll from a jump putt if it misses.

I actually learned how to jump putt from tips that Blake gave me.

when i jump putt the jump is really part of the follow through and not part of the release... these are the ones where the timing feels the best and obviously they are not foot faults.

i like jump putting if there is danger around and i want to pitch at the basket more than throw at it, so the disc is on its way down at the basket.

i also like doing a hybrid putt/throw... where my arm is coming partly from the side of my body and partly on it's way up from lifting the upper arm. these are my most accurate approaches and i don't need to jump. the disc is more likely to go straight at the basket, but also more likely to fly by... so i reserve this when there's no trouble around (like a hill i could fade down).

i've been jump putting for a while and i can't imagine not having this as part of my game now. I use a straddle jump from about 50' and out. inside of that i have a pretty consistant putt anyway so i don't need it, but i'm almost as consistant with jump putts as i am keeping my feet on the ground on some days. only thing better than nailing an 80' jump putt is acing.

as for my disc flight, i usually go right at it with a tiny bit of hyzer from around 50' to 70' and float it a little more outside of that.

I was having a bad day with my jump putts today so I tried something a little new. I'm not sure if there is a specific name for the style, but I call it the helicopter putt. I throw it really hight like 20+' in the air, and put a lot of spin on it. I keep the nose angle flat so the disc almost hovers in the air, then fall down flat like a helicopter landing. Don't have to worry about overshooting 20', and it usually will hit the top of the basket or land within 8' or so. I only do this when my jump putt is off, and I have been very successful using it.

The jump putt is the greatest thing I ever added to my game. I actually have two different jumpers for differing situations. For 90% of my jump putts I throw my normal straddle putt but put more effort into pushing off my legs, not worrying about backing off. For this I aim slightly right and higher (natural hyzer release). For shots where I need to shape the putt or is out of may range I throw a follow through spin putt. I line up to my target like a traditional putt, and come through the putt hard with snap following through like a drive (high for a hyzer, flat for a straight shot, low for an annie). Since I can use that shot up to 100' I can be aggressive and safe at the same time. I use a grippy soft understable putter for the spin, and my normal glow warlock for the hyzer putt.

p.s. last night made two jumpers in a row, first one ~80' through a V in the branches of a tree and hyzering in around another, second was a dedicated hyzer ~ 60'

i don't jump putt. 50' and out i use a sidearm putt. It's just like lining up a putt in regular golf you use your feet and make it perpendicular to the basket and then use the correct pull back and you have a pretty simple shot.

Fritz said:
Hey Fritz can you expand on this or maybe post a link to some of thoose TIPS that have "clicked" with you or any one else, i'll do some searching to see if the tips you speek of were on the forum. i'm realy makeing another attempt to incorperate the jump putt into my game.

MacCruzer said:
Fritz said:
Hey Fritz can you expand on this or maybe post a link to some of thoose TIPS that have "clicked" with you or any one else, i'll do some searching to see if the tips you speek of were on the forum. i'm realy makeing another attempt to incorperate the jump putt into my game.

I really dont' have any links other then the videos page. Most of my learning was done in conversations on the phone, or AIM with Blake.

Basically what clicked for me was the footing and the spring. I line up like I do for a normal putt, and when I lean as to "coil a spring" I put all the power into my left leg/foot, almost like I am pulling energy from the ground and powering it up through my legs into the putt. I spring and release dragging my right foot on the ground as to not be called for stance violation.

Does that explain it?

EDIT: BTW for those who dont' know I'm a RHBH thrower.

Not sure the dragging foot method would satisfy those who think the jump put should be illegal. The problem is the term supporting point.

If a foot is being drug behind you on the ground, is it considered a "supporting point?"

IS said foot not supporting ones body from falling to the ground?
yes it is

I think the word jump putt is a misnomer. I would say the jump is the follow through, or rather if you are a RHBH your right foot should be your supporting point behind the mini. you should propel yourself more foreward than upward. The way I see it, and play it; the jump putt is just an extension of your normal putt. There are some exceptions to the rule.

matchu said:
yes it is

I don't know. If the body is on it's downward swing, then yes it is. If the body is moving away from the ground and taking the leg with it, then no it isn't.

Is a kite string being drug on the ground supporting the kite?

Is a rake being drug behind you supporting you?

Is a water skier supporting the boat?

matchu said:
yes it is

But, if the dragged foot goes in front of the mini before the release then is that not still an illegal putt? I would say that doing that would be an easier call than ruling that someone was in the air before releasing the disc, but certainly neither would be any sort of easy.
I guess i'll get in on this thread too now. I fully support jump putts, and i like to do it out to about 100'. I realize that I probably would have a better make % far out with a normal rhbh shot, but the chance for a blow by is nearly eliminated with the jump putt. I like to attempt my jump putts with a staggerd stance, and the further back I move the further back my left foot goes (per advice read here). I love the jump putt though, especially for putts that are right outside the circle. I think it is a great way to put the disc on a nice firm flat line from further away than is possible (for me at least) with a normal putt.

OK question, do you stradle or stag or stag/strad jump putt and how do you putt inside the circle on an open putt just as a relation. so do any of you strad putters change for your stance for your 65' jumpers?
which leg/s are you generating power from with your form, particularly you stradler jumpers.

Latest posts