• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jussi Meresmaa - Backhanded blast

I'd rather see people having fun and expressing themselves, instead of a bunch of dressed up douche bags playing my sport.
isn't that why most of us started playing? cause it's alternative, cheap, and not about the country club mentality?

Wow, stereotype people much? I play golf and disc golf in the exact same clothing. Shorts and a polo usually, although I dress down to play disc in the winter for obvious reasons. If by "the country club mentality" you mean having etiquette, not dressing like a clown, not consuming illegal substances in a public area, not littering the playing field with tons of crap, and not screaming profanities within earshot mothers with children (all things I've seen on disc golf courses in the last six months) then sign me up and let me pay my dues. Golfers are certainly not saints either, but there is a culture of honesty and respect that MOST who play the game abide by. Disc golfers holding each other to similar high standards would be the best way for our game to get the positive recognition many here crave. And lets be honest, the disc golfers I'm grumbling about are not likely any of you reading this post. I assume that if you care enough about an activity to spend time educating yourself about it and conversing with like minded people, you probably aren't the drunken lout toking on his one hitter and dropping F-bombs within earshot of the playground. But maybe he's your friend, and maybe you should leave him at home until he takes a hint and his behavior improves. \end rant]

Ok sorry, I got a little worked up. To answer your other question, I clearly don't play this game to avoid the "country club" mentality. I play it because it's only disc golf. No big deal, nothing I have to take to seriously. I am a very competitive person, and I hate to lose at most things. This is a game I'm determined to enjoy for reasons other than my score. I'm going to take joy in making progress, improving, and learning. I'm going to enjoy being outside and making new friends. And yes, I'm going to enjoy the fact that unlike most of my other hobbies, disc golf is something I can do several times a week without breaking the bank. Do I want to win every time I step foot on the course? Of course I do, I'm a competitor. But I'll always shake your hand and congratulate you on a good match, regardless of the outcome, because that's just the thing you do to show respect for both your opponent and more importantly the game.

I don't want pinky out tea drinking and sassy plaid pants. I personally don't care how professional people "appear" to be, more how professional they ARE.

There is a code of sportsmanship that need not be written in any rule book or code of conduct. Having the best team/product or whatever is a fine goal but it doesn't change common decency. And this goes for Feldy, Innova or anyone else that chooses self aggrandizing behavior over sportsmanship. If you don't know what I mean, that is on you, I can't waste any more time.

that is a given. my comment stands. i'd rather have the best product and best team than be best dressed and least controversial.
As a part owner you should be striving for all of the above.

I don't want pinky out tea drinking and sassy plaid pants. I personally don't care how professional people "appear" to be, more how professional they ARE.

There is a code of sportsmanship that need not be written in any rule book or code of conduct. Having the best team/product or whatever is a fine goal but it doesn't change common decency. And this goes for Feldy, Innova or anyone else that chooses self aggrandizing behavior over sportsmanship. u don't know what I mean, that is on you, I can't waste any more time.

So as long as I don't wear plaid pants and save my pinky for packing my pipe it's cool? Ok, I'm down with that. Plaid pants are pretty bad, but no worse than how Nikko looks half the time. I've seen homeless people with better hair.

The real problem is that sportsmanship shouldn't have to be written into the rules, but it's no longer being taught. When you don't keep score and everyone gets a trophy you no longer learn to win with class and lose gracefully. And that's on parents around my age right now. I get wanting to keep your kid from feeling the way you did when you were the last one picked or lost the big game or whatever, but you also deprive him of the feeling of working hard to improve and enjoying NOT being last picked anymore.

wow... some of you need to find something to do with your time! A win is a win and whats wrong with being excited and happy? Happens in golf too'

also the notion of neutral announcers is crazy... Have you watched ANY sports program before? There is always SOME biased on TV-- its impossible not to have it but is the job being done well or not should be the question.

A lot of those celebrations are from Ryder Cup matches, where you're playing for your country. There's really big braggin rights involved in that tournament, I think the over zealous is a lil bit more understandable. and some of the best ones in that video are simply raising arms or a fist pump. Not a circle of people attempting to bring back House of Pain.

Ask Bubba Watson how he feels about things like this. He golfs both versions, and when he won the Masters, his celebration was simple and classy.

The real problem is that sportsmanship shouldn't have to be written into the rules, but it's no longer being taught. When you don't keep score and everyone gets a trophy you no longer learn to win with class and lose gracefully. And that's on parents around my age right now. I get wanting to keep your kid from feeling the way you did when you were the last one picked or lost the big game or whatever, but you also deprive him of the feeling of working hard to improve and enjoying NOT being last picked anymore.

I agree 100% with this. Some of the greatest life lessons I learned were when I lost at something and had to learn some humility and deal with it. It takes much more character to be a gracious loser than a winner.

Man ESPN sure is trashing on team prodigy today. I wonder what Skip Bayless will say on monday...

Grown men(DGCR) calling out 20 year old athletes on how to behave. Always a good read

Haha I'd rather hear what Mike and Mike have to say about it. Stephen A Smith pretty much ruins first take for me.

I have been known to drop a few F Bombs, and yesterday I threw my hat when I had a 320 foot chain out with my Teebizzle...I was about to curse but I was with my daughter and her friends so I was able to eke out "WHAT THE FUUART!". They thought it was pretty funny.

Prodigy is the Miami Heat of dg...

This whole "team" thing is fine, but I doubt it will last long. Disc golf isn't a team sport. It's just not. How long are the other Prodigy players going to keep cheerleading Schusterick if he continues wiping the floor with them? Wysocki was tied for the lead going into the last day and the blew up (relatively speaking of course)... was he running around cheering and hugging Will afterward? I didn't see him, but I maybe I just missed it.

Prodigy is the Miami Heat of dg...

This whole "team" thing is fine, but I doubt it will last long. Disc golf isn't a team sport. It's just not. How long are the other Prodigy players going to keep cheerleading Schusterick if he continues wiping the floor with them? Wysocki was tied for the lead going into the last day and the blew up (relatively speaking of course)... was he running around cheering and hugging Will afterward? I didn't see him, but I maybe I just missed it.

So because Ricky was understandibly disapointed, you assume they wont support each other as a group of friends and teammates? Interesting.

So because Ricky was understandibly disapointed, you assume they wont support each other as a group of friends and teammates? Interesting.

I just hope that one of the Prodigy team members gave Ricky a nice hug afterward. Maybe bought him a milkshake or something.

To me it's all about the Golden Rule.

"Do unto others as you would have done unto you"

That and one other guideline I try to follow.

"it's as bad to take offense as it is to give it"

In two weeks? Before TX States?

Looks like most of team Prodigy is playing in that event. And it's only 12 days away.

Much sooner, according to Chuck:

The next big event is the Texas States Championships with every Prodigy member playing except Cale Leiviska.

It's in 12 days.

well theres 4 mids' Chuck is like a medium...

Latest posts