• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jussi Meresmaa - Backhanded blast

I'm sure they've been throwing them to beat them up getting ready for competition, but I'm sure they'll have some growing pains. Care to give some teasers of the discs/classifications (at least) that are coming? Putters (please, please, please, please)?

Paul achieved something staggering yesterday (not to mention making an amazing comeback), and it is basically being ignored to complain about some kids' celebration. Will won one of the biggest tournaments in disc golf, and he's being chided for him and his team being happy about it.

This is the best way to look at it. McBeth killed a round and Schusterick killed the event. Good on both of them. Good on the tournament in general.

It's a live and learn thing I guess, hopefully Will learns to total his cards, Paul learns how to spread some of that magic out over 4 days. And hopefully 'Team Prodigy' learns how to show some restraint and class.

I agree with you about Don Cherry too :D

This thread is sickens me a little, I stopped reading. Unfortunately I have been an internet and forum junkie for a decade of my brief life and I'm still suprised every time I see so many IMO pathetic thoughts in agreement compiled in a single short thread. That's humanity for ya...I guess.

I am not complaining about the celebration; I actually like the celebration. The only thing I was thinking when they were celebrating was that there were players that still needed to finish out the round. If team Prodigy would have celebrated like that after everyone was done putting, I would not be complaining at all. They need to have some tact while the round is still going. If Will would have been the last one to putt out, then that would have been different because everyone would have finished the round.

If I just won a major with other people still needed to putt, I would clear my disc and wait for everyone else to finish. Yes, your emotions are running high, but you should still reserve yourself until the round is over.

I actually like the team concept of Prodigy. I am a player that throws only Latitude 64 (and trying Westside and Dynamic Discs) and am now cheering for Dave Feldberg, Liz Dorries, Greg Barsby, Eric McCabe, and anybody else that is throwing Lat 64/Westside/Dyanmic. The team concept gives you more to play for and gives people a team to cheer for.

You're comparing apples to oranges at that point then. The Memorial isn't the playoffs, it's the Stanley Cup.
No, no it's not. Frankly it's absurd you'd even try to compare the two. Lord Stanley's Cup has over 120 years of tradition and lore associated with it. Men play over 100 games of an extraordinarily demanding sport, often through severe pain and injuries in order to win it. On the other hand the Memorial is nearly 100 years newer than the Cup, and you get together and toss a frisbee around a park for 4 days to win it. Not only that, the Memorial isn't the ultimate disc golf championship, it's just one tournament out of many. Winning the Memorial is impressive, as the winner has beaten the top players in the game, but he'd have to win every major event in a year in order to compare it to winning the Cup.

While there are over the top celebrations in individual sports like real golf and tennis they do tend to leave a bad taste in fans mouths. Since fans are often also rec players in any sport, it's usually a good idea not to act like a tool where they can see. Hopefully the money people behind Prodigy pull the team aside and tell them to keep it a little more low-key and a little less "girls softball" next time. With that said, I AM glad they stayed engaged and rooted for their teammate. Like almost everything else Prodigy (or any new company) has experienced this year, this is a learning opportunity.

Last edited:
I don't know where, or by who, you guys were raised but you should always shake hands with your opponents when you win (or lose). And you should always allow your opponent to finish their game/putt/shot before you celebrate.

That's what class is.

We have people belittling the Memorial, team Prodigy, Will Schusterick (i'd like to see you hold a candle to him), the act of winning, and the sport as a whole. What you guys are really doing is making a bad reputation for yourselves as whiners and sore losers, because it's obvious you are completely out of touch.

No, no it's not. Frankly it's absurd you'd even try to compare the two. Lord Stanley's Cup has over 120 years of tradition and lore associated with it. Not only that, the Memorial isn't the ultimate disc golf championship, it's just one tournament out of many. Winning the Memorial is impressive, as the winner has beaten the top players in the game, but he'd have to win every major event in a year in order to compare it to winning the Cup.

While there are over the top celebrations in individual sports like real golf and tennis they do tend to leave a bad taste in fans mouths. Since fans are often also rec players in any sport, it's usually a good idea not to act like a tool where they can see. Hopefully the money people behind Prodigy pull the team aside and tell them to keep it a little more low-key and a little less "girls softball" next time. With that said, I AM glad they stayed engaged and rooted for their teammate.

THIS GUY...

THIS GUY.... GETS IT.
QcsTAwO.gif

We have people belittling the Memorial, team Prodigy, Will Schusterick (i'd like to see you hold a candle to him), the act of winning, and the sport as a whole. What you guys are really doing is making a bad reputation for yourselves as whiners and sore losers, because it's obvious you are completely out of touch.
How does his disc skill matter when it comes to having class? Not a single person in here is a sore loser, and the only hating I agree with is below.
I don't know where, or by who, you guys were raised but you should always shake hands with your opponents when you win (or lose). And you should always allow your opponent to finish their game/putt/shot before you celebrate.

That's what class is.

If you're using the phrases "hater/hating on/stop the hate", you're part of the problem. Like Prodigy's celebration, its hyperbole---out of all scale to the actual conversation. I haven't heard ANYONE say they hate Prodigy's cheering, just that it was unsportsmanlike to not let the rest of the card finish before the whoop-te-doo began.

It sure seems like a lot of forum talk revolves around how disc golf can become popular/support pros/pay for play/be on ESPN---just like ball golf. Really, you sound like idiots when you then say "I don't want it to be like ball golf".

And I'll criticize whomever I want. I'd say I'm a pretty good steward for DG. You can take your elitism and shove it way up in there.

Last edited:
How does his disc skill matter when it comes to having class? Not a single person in here is a sore loser, and the only hating I agree with is below.

I 100% agree about the bad sportsmanship in not shaking hands, but the team spirit is something i would consider a great thing for golf. Perhaps this may be one of the next big leaps in golf: the team aspect. team Prodigy vs. team Innova (or Latitude, or Discraft, etc.), that i could definitely get into.
I have to say though, the people jumping all over the Prodigy celebration and scorecard/playoff fiasco are the same people that have been bashing them in the forums for weeks/months. Unjustified bias is all I am seeing.

People keep bringing up this team aspect thing. It's going to be interesting in a year when this supposed "team" just sees ricky, will and nikko winning NT's. Where was this team spirit when everyone was on Innova and discraft?

Last edited:
People keep bringing up this team aspect thing. It's going to be interesting in a year when this supposed "team" just sees ricky, will and nikko winning NT's. Where was this team spirit was everyone was on Innova and discraft?

Both Innova and DC have like 50 or 60 member teams. Prodigy is 11 young, up and coming players who, in part, are the future of this game.

Any one of Prodigy's members could win an NT, but you are right...the cream will rise to the top.

Last edited:
People keep bringing up this team aspect thing. It's going to be interesting in a year when this supposed "team" just sees ricky, will and nikko winning NT's. Where was this team spirit was everyone was on Innova and discraft?

^Exactly

This team mentality is definitely a new thing, and will it be good or bad? No one knows yet, but Prodigy, IMO, has brought a lot of this heat by polarizing itself by using all the mystery reveals and rumors and stuff like that. Its almost like they want it to be them vs. the rest of the DG world.

Latest posts