• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Kastaplast Rask

had the pleasure of popping into GGGT to feel these. 20$ a pop.

interesting, for sure. while it seems gimmicky, it's possible the design may work out for the best.

the discs i saw are pretty damn flat. it's great. i'll just go over the disc itself briefly, though i'm sure it's been covered already the circular ridge is not on the rim itself, it is on the underside of the flight plate - i would assume this is to create more lift without having to mold them up with a large dome. don't know how effective this is. they fit in the hand very well; the incline leading up to the ridge did touch my index finger, almost like it held it in place against the rim where i naturally grip. some people may not like this: i didn't, but i wouldn't say it's a deal breaker. i would rather have that problem than a domey disc, which feels much more awkward to me than the rask. forehand, you'll probably have to put your index against that inner ridge too. or throw splayed out, bend one finger down against the inner rim, etc. you get the idea. no stacking.

the plastic itself is somewhat gummy, tacky, feels good. similar to prodiscus plastic IMO. the colors seem to determine the opacity but there were only two colors on the shelf so take that for what it's worth.

the rim depth is SHALLOW. comfortable, but too shallow for me. the rim width is great. 11-12, maybe? i think it could be promising. i like that the stamp is etched into the underside of the plastic - dye paradise if they make clear ones. no more acetone wiping.

Last edited:
Got my hands on one, realised instantly that you have to use powergrip with this as otherwise the inner ridge gets in way of you fingers. Same with forehand, middle fingers goes to inner ridge. Didn't buy.

saw one at gggt...i laughed and put it down. its a groove, turbo putter, type of disc. something quest would make...that being said i passed

We'll know that the Rasks' inner rim technology works when Innova makes their own version. The Terrapin perhaps?

Big time necrobump here.

After throwing the Rask for about 10 rounds I'm surprised there aren't more people throwing it.

It flies a lot like a PD2 or Stiletto. Very fast with a sudden dumpy fade that is very useful.

I have been parking 400-450ft FH shots by throwing it as hard as I can just left of the pin and it dumping into the circle.

The inner ridge might make it faster, but it kills the glide and for controlled distance I don't like a ton of glide usually.

And the K1 plastic is great, feels a lot like Opto or Liquid.

It may be the next disc I start stashing.

I know that Kastaplast retooled after the first run to make the discs less overstable. It's good to know that they did not take too much off, but the uses I have for my Rask, a Stiletto is maybe not OS enough. I need to find a first run backup.

Saw one in the used bin today and if it wasn't dark blue I might have picked it up. Curiosity might kill the cat yet, it's a really bizarre looking disc.

Anybody else thrown one of these much? From what I've read I probably don't have the arm to make it do anything useful outside of utility work.

I bagged one for about a year, and while it starts off super OS you can beat it into a useable Overstbility. It's vast for sure and the grip is shallow. Perfect for FH and OH.

I'd say the current run is basically a Stiletto in speed and stability, the first runs were more like a faster Spirit. And they beat into something like a glideless Giant.

Rask

Tried a Rask today. OMG OVERSTABLE! It basically started hyzering right out of my hand. I'd equate this disc with a faster, longer Firebird. Gorgeous plastic. Shiny, somewhat gummy.

Tossed the Rask into headwinds a few times and it didn't even flatten out. Disc is fast and actually glides OK while its hyzering.

Max distance for me with it was 360'. Took every bit of arm I had.

Its an acceptable disc for overstable use. Very shallow rim and good for sidearms. I can't imagine a wind that would even begin to affect the Rask. It penetrates well through wind and doesn't get knocked down at all.

13, 4, +1, 5. Yes, +1 on high speed turn. Disc does not fly flat. Huge, sweeping fade. Disc always hit the ground at a 45 degree angle. It lands hard.

Probably one of the top 3 most overstable drivers I've ever thrown.

Tried a Rask today. OMG OVERSTABLE! It basically started hyzering right out of my hand. I'd equate this disc with a faster, longer Firebird. Gorgeous plastic. Shiny, somewhat gummy.

Tossed the Rask into headwinds a few times and it didn't even flatten out. Disc is fast and actually glides OK while its hyzering.

Max distance for me with it was 360'. Took every bit of arm I had.

Its an acceptable disc for overstable use. Very shallow rim and good for sidearms. I can't imagine a wind that would even begin to affect the Rask. It penetrates well through wind and doesn't get knocked down at all.

13, 4, +1, 5. Yes, +1 on high speed turn. Disc does not fly flat. Huge, sweeping fade. Disc always hit the ground at a 45 degree angle. It lands hard.

Probably one of the top 3 most overstable drivers I've ever thrown.

It is the best forehand roller disc ever! While it has very little glide, that helps keeps it from slowing down, or flipping over, as much on the roll.
Pretty awesome for tomahawks as well.

Edit: Both of mine are first runs, so your millage may vary.

It is the best forehand roller disc ever! While it has very little glide, that helps keeps it from slowing down, or flipping over, as much on the roll.
Pretty awesome for tomahawks as well.

Edit: Both of mine are first runs, so your millage may vary.

I was throwing in the field today. Friday I'm going to toss the Rask in the bag for a couple rounds and see how it handles overstable duty on a variety of different shots on the course.

For being so damn overstable it actually seems to fly acceptably far.

Anyone who was disappointed with the Firestorm being too flippy should give the Rask a look. Fast, long, overstable beef right here.

Last edited:
I like the Rask, the one I've got is a lot of fun, but now that the stank is beaten out of it it's much mellower than at the start. It never picks up a ton of glide, but the little turn makes it more workable for mere mortals.

Wish they had some sort of stamp though. The imprint is super cool, but I find the contrast of a stamp makes discs easier to find.

I like the Rask, the one I've got is a lot of fun, but now that the stank is beaten out of it it's much mellower than at the start. It never picks up a ton of glide, but the little turn makes it more workable for mere mortals.

Wish they had some sort of stamp though. The imprint is super cool, but I find the contrast of a stamp makes discs easier to find.

Yeah, I got no flat flights out of the Rask. Even when I released it hard anny the disc just fought back super quick and faded. It is a super legit overstable disc. I generally throw a champ XCal for overstable shots on the course. This Rask is WAAYYY more overstable. The XCal actually has a bit of high speed turn into headwinds. Not the Rask. Be interesting to see how it does on the course. The practice field isn't usually a great place to get a real idea of what overstable discs can do.

Rask

Played 2 rounds today in pretty heavy wind with the Rask in the bag. I used it for shorter drives that I generally use a Buzzz or Truth for. Wind was blowing hard enough to toss mids around pretty badly.

The Rask wasn't affected by the wind at all. I actually did get it to flatten out for a bit into a strong headwind on one throw, but other than that it was predictable hyzers. Its a very accurate wind disc. The Rask basically flies like the wind isn't even there. It doesn't glide well, but its fast and penetrates well (if that even makes sense). I wasn't getting any sort of miraculous yardage out of it, but the accuracy was pinpoint. The Rask has graduated to making the bag for a bit for further testing. Distance-wise its a big short of my XCal, but way more overstable.

The Rask really is like a much faster, slightly longer Firebird. It sure as hell cuts through headwinds better than a Firebird and doesn't seem as stubborn (slow) leaving my hand.

Played my first round with a Rask today.

The Good: It loves to roll and it loves to smash through foliage so intriguing utility disc so far. It's overstable but actually seems to glide well despite the beef. I was expecting a dumpier fade and had to adjust my spike hyzers.

The Bad: That rim is really awkward. It didn't bother me too bad on thumbers and FH rollers but I had trouble holding onto it for backhands. Felt like it was wanting to slip out early. Seems fast but I can't really tell b/c I couldn't get a good hit with it on BH b/c of that rim. I was rolling past all my targets b/c it just keeps rolling. The rim is fairly sharp so it may not be the best choice for controlled FH rolls but for straight distance it could be killer.

The plastic looks and feels great though.

The Good: It loves to roll and it loves to smash through foliage so intriguing utility disc so far. It's overstable but actually seems to glide well despite the beef. I was expecting a dumpier fade and had to adjust my spike hyzers.

The Bad: That rim is really awkward. It didn't bother me too bad on thumbers and FH rollers but I had trouble holding onto it for backhands. Felt like it was wanting to slip out early. Seems fast but I can't really tell b/c I couldn't get a good hit with it on BH b/c of that rim. I was rolling past all my targets b/c it just keeps rolling. The rim is fairly sharp so it may not be the best choice for controlled FH rolls but for straight distance it could be killer.

I ended up taking my Rask out of the bag. It was just too damn overstable for what I needed it for. If you mis-throw that disc even the tiniest bit you get a horrible result. I found I was better off with the XCaliber and the Flick for overstable needs. I agree its a hard disc to throw. I felt like most times I threw it lately were lackluster.

Disc works great for backhand drives into major headwinds. Other than that I have little use for it.

There is a learning curve on the FH rollers.. The sharp edge allows the disc to bite in for controlled cut rollers and/or cross roots and stumps that would stop other discs.

Imho, its worth the effort to learn.

Cheers.

Last edited: