• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] KC Pro Roc

They're all gone. :)

I can adjust. I prefer flat releases, or near flat, on hard throws that have to fly perfectly straight for the whole flight. But on the next throw after I've really crushed a tree, I don't know how it will fly. That's the issue. That can make me **** up a shot where normally I'd be fine. That bugs the **** outta me during a round and decreases my happiness, which is why I play to begin with.

Hence the z comet. :)

Yeah I've recently lost (one broke and another in a pond) two perfectly seasoned kc pro rocs.

Thought I was lost, couple of friends had old kc pro rocs lying around. a couple of throws with each and I figured out release angles and instantly bagged them and was lacing 300ft tunnel shots, straight azz slow laser beam floaty 400ft downhill shots, and other magical rancho roc flights galore a day later.

I don't even really have a preference for kc pro rocs because I found/bagged them so recently. I have a domey super rock hard percussion drum like one (one from my friend), another 11x like softer one.

Once you know the kc pro roc flight you can quickly adjust and start slinging them down tight fairways. I don't mind buying blindly online to get the blue and pink ones that are easier to find in leaves.

I do have my z comets though...if it's too cold.

Ted throws some pretty magical lines with his flat top Rocs. I like some dome. From my Rocs and your moms.

Roc throwers like different things from their Rocs -- that Roc flight that "everyone talks about" isn't something most people have actually seen in real life. But moderate dome in a stiffer plastic is a good place to start. Get a decent KC. Then compare differences for yourself. You know, before you act like an expert.

XT Rocs are not very good.

I don't know this "Ted" you keep harping on about. I never tried to put myself forward as an expert but I have thrown a few Rocs so whatever. My advice was basically the same as yours anyway: get a KC with a mild dome to start out and see what all the fuss is about. I'm not the only one here who has said before that flat tops seem to wear a little differently than regular Ranchos. They seem a little closer to Roc3s to me. That said, I think they can be good discs (as can Roc3s), just not quite the same. And also FYI, I had an XT that was really nice. It wore a little fast but it was a pretty sweet Roc for a while.

I've had the same Glo DX Roc in my bag for close to 10 years.

Still flies awesome.

I wish I could say the same about having the same KC Roc for that long.

Almost halfway there with one of them though.

I've had the same Glo DX Roc in my bag for close to 10 years.

Still flies awesome.

I wish I could say the same about having the same KC Roc for that long.

Almost halfway there with one of them though.

Yeah DX and DX Glow are actually my favorite Rocs. It's funny, I swore off Rocs last year when I lost my favorite beat-to-heck DX about 50 feet up a pine tree on a super downhill hole. I knew it was up there somewhere but couldn't even see it much less climb up to it; it was so sad. It was one of the waxier run so it got beat up faster than a KC or a lot of "nicer" DX runs, but it flew so great.

Anyway, this thread is making me want to put Rocs back in the bag again. The thing is, I know it will take a couple years of abuse to get even another DX close to that level of awesomeness though, which is annoying/intimidating. And please no one suggest that I go throw my Rocs into a sidewalk or something. I'm really not into intentional abuse when it comes to baseline plastic. It's too easy to accidentally ruin the disc doing that.

Yeah DX and DX Glow are actually my favorite Rocs. It's funny, I swore off Rocs last year when I lost my favorite beat-to-heck DX about 50 feet up a pine tree on a super downhill hole. I knew it was up there somewhere but couldn't even see it much less climb up to it; it was so sad. It was one of the waxier run so it got beat up faster than a KC or a lot of "nicer" DX runs, but it flew so great.

Anyway, this thread is making me want to put Rocs back in the bag again. The thing is, I know it will take a couple years of abuse to get even another DX close to that level of awesomeness though, which is annoying/intimidating. And please no one suggest that I go throw my Rocs into a sidewalk or something. I'm really not into intentional abuse when it comes to baseline plastic. It's too easy to accidentally ruin the disc doing that.

No used disc bins near you? I find good beat Rocs almost every time I visit my local shop.

Rocs are a versatile disc. watching older vids of Feldy and recent ones of Cam Todd they use a Roc from every range, even shorter "putter" shots. Man, Feldy could really throw a Roc.

No used disc bins near you? I find good beat Rocs almost every time I visit my local shop.

Yeah, I should visit the Beaverton PIAS more often. I often come out with SOMETHING I like from the used bins when I go in there, but almost never Rocs unfortunately. I think someone working there must know the value of a nice beat Roc. The last time I went in there, I DID get lucky and score a 1x McBeth Roc3 and a team stamped Roc3. The guy working there was like "Oh no, I forgot to check the bin or I would have nabbed those." It's hard when you're competing with the staff for the good used stuff...

Rocs are a versatile disc. watching older vids of Feldy and recent ones of Cam Todd they use a Roc from every range, even shorter "putter" shots. Man, Feldy could really throw a Roc.

Vids of Philo and Drew Gibson before he got Latitude sponsored too. Man Drew used to crush his Rocs.

Vids of Philo and Drew Gibson before he got Latitude sponsored too. Man Drew used to crush his Rocs.

I can't stand Gibson's game. Just because you CAN throw everything hard, doesn't mean you should throw everything as hard as you can. Like David Wiggins Jr.

I can't stand Gibson's game. Just because you CAN throw everything hard, doesn't mean you should throw everything as hard as you can. Like David Wiggins Jr.

Yeah, well there's probably a reason neither of them is top 10 (although Drew is #26 currently). They don't have a lot of finesse. Still, I honestly did enjoy watching Drew crush a Roc 400 feet on a laser straight line. There are lots of times I wish I could throw laser beams with mids that far. I think it would be a way more valuable to scoring well on a lot of courses than having their max distance (although you probably need max D of 500+ to do that).

Me too. I just love throwing rocs. I might toss them back in again for a bit.

Just curious, do you have multiple Wasps? If yes, describe them and how long they took to get to the present stability. Also, would you say a Z Wasp could ever get to the "perfect Roc" spot?

The Wasp is more like a Roc3 than a Roc. It's faster with less glide. I know you asked Koda, but I think you can get a Wasp seasoned to fly reliably for you, but it won't be the same as that perfectly beat Roc.

Just curious, do you have multiple Wasps? If yes, describe them and how long they took to get to the present stability. Also, would you say a Z Wasp could ever get to the "perfect Roc" spot?

I keep my wasp in my fresh kc roc spot. It doesn't get used a whole lot because I throw z comets for my perfect roc spot. And I'd say z comets are pretty damn close to a perfect roc. Just not as much hss. X comets are even closer, but the same issue as any midgrade rocs...

My wasps are every bit as overstable as a kc pro roc, and they penetrate wind more since they're flat. For that role they work fine, but tbird is right and I agree. There is no perfect replacement for baseline rocs or kc pro. However, I love throwing a z wasp and z/x comet in the bag and knowing I have all my mid shots covered 98% as well as cycling kc pro rocs.

Last edited:
Yeah, I carry a Wasp for the same thing (very stable Roc flight with a reliable fade) and also throw it only a little. I just wondered if they eventually lose some of that fade, because mine has not lost any.

Sorry to sully this thread with Wasp talk. Back to the regularly scheduled discussion.

Took my Dad's old KC Pro Roc out to throw a little yesterday to make the decision if I should switch to Rocs or not (Ive been keeping away from them for a while now, cause everybody and their uncle throws Rocs)
But, I absolutely loved it. Amazing glidy precision. Ive been throwing Wizards for a while, and Ive been unable to find a mid that will fly with the same graceful glidy goodness; Until I bit the bullet and tried out that Roc.

So, is their anyone out there with a stack of KC Rocs (new and used) they'd be willing to part with? I've got a lot of cool stuff for potential trade, like a second first run Buzzz. DM me if so.