• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

KC to PA/NY/Ontario/Niagara/Africa and back

pauldst

Double Eagle Member
Long trip starting in a little over a week.
  • Cedar Rapids Iowa area
  • Then, hopefully, to the Philadelphia area
  • Next to Albany, NY area
  • After that to a lake in central Ontario
  • A few days in the Niagara Falls area
  • 3 weeks in Oury, Burkina Faso (West Africa)
  • Ontario again
  • Back to KC via Michigan and Iowa
This is not a disc golf road trip, and there are other things to do, people to see, and some unchangeable times in the schedule.

I already have some courses picked out for part of this, but am looking for some recommendations for a few areas (in blue below). Fast and fun beats challenging on the Interstate travel stops.
  • In Cedar Rapids area, which is where I started playing, I hope to play Sugar Bottom, Legion, Jones Park, and Turkey Creek. Maybe catch the new 9 hole course in Mt Vernon. This will likely be partly June 15 and 16, and July 27 or 28.
  • June 16: Maybe something as a stop in Indiana off of I-74 or I-70. Milligan Park? Clear Creek Park? New Creations - Living Waters? Englewood MetroPark DGC? Herbert C. Huber Park? New Creations - Living Waters may win because of the lake, and my wife loves the water, but a couple of others look like they'd be faster.
  • June 17: Maybe one in the Columbus area, maybe one off the PA Turnpike? Definitely want to try The Black Course in WV.
  • June 18 Anson Nixon Park is closest to where we'll be visiting, but I would much rather play one in Delaware. Brandywine Creek State Park and Canby West seem to be the best choices due to travel time.
  • June 19 Tyler State Park
  • June 20: Joralemon Park near Albany
  • June 29 & 30: One course in the Niagara Falls area. We will be at a seminar in Niagara-on-the-Lake in Canada. There seems to be very little on the Canadian side of the border there, but there are a lot on the US side...no idea what to choose at this time.
  • July 4-20: Burkina Faso. Not a DGC for possibly a thousand miles. I am bringing a dgNomad target and a few discs. I'll see if I can make my own course. :D
  • July 24 & 25: Back in Toronto, then to the Port Dover area to rest, recover, play Steen Park and/or V.A. Barrie Park, I think.
  • July 26 Play something in Michigan on the way through on I-94. Victory Park? Leila Arboretum? Begg Park? Flaherty Park?

So, any suggestions regarding the uncertain parts above, keeping in mind limited time? :)

Last edited:
skip Canby in Delaware, it's the worst in the Wilmington area. Iron Hill is close to I-95 but not an easy or short course.

Victory Pk in Albion, MI is wonderful, lots of water in play on the back 9.

Delaware is Iron Hill, Brandywine is ok, but Iron is one of the best.

skip Canby in Delaware, it's the worst in the Wilmington area. Iron Hill is close to I-95 but not an easy or short course.

Victory Pk in Albion, MI is wonderful, lots of water in play on the back 9.
I am hoping to have a shot at getting my brother-in-law and nephews hooked on DG. Iron Hill looks amazing! Already solidly in my wish list. But it does not look at all beginner-friendly. Even if just my wife and I, her skill level is better suited to Brandywine, and myself, I would love to develop some more skill before tackling Iron Hill. :( Brandywine is 2nd closest to my sister's, too; Traffic could be bad in that area when I lived there, and I've been back a few times and know that it is now a lot worse. So I'm guessing it will have to be Brandywine.

Victory Park looks like a front runner for that stop, but Hole 3 at Begg looks pretty cool!
http://www.discap.net/forum to find someone to play Joralemon with you. 15-20 mins off the nys truway. I would try to play all 27 if you have the time.
Not sure where we'll be staying there yet, but we'll be visiting Castleton-On-Hudson. Joralemon will be in between nursing home visits. It would be great to play with someone local! Ill have to see if we can plan well enough for that. It looks like we have go up to Albany and then back down to get there...:( Maybe I should look for a back up course to play on the east side of the Hudson...really liked the look of Joralemon, though. :)

I am hoping to have a shot at getting my brother-in-law and nephews hooked on DG. Iron Hill looks amazing! Already solidly in my wish list. But it does not look at all beginner-friendly. Even if just my wife and I, her skill level is better suited to Brandywine, and myself, I would love to develop some more skill before tackling Iron Hill. :( Brandywine is 2nd closest to my sister's, too; Traffic could be bad in that area when I lived there, and I've been back a few times and know that it is now a lot worse. So I'm guessing it will have to be Brandywine.

I'd go to Lums Pond instead of Brandywine or Iron Hill given that info. Brandywine is a bit open and long and gets HOT in the sun/no trees there and searching for discs in tall grass is not fun, and the wind will likely be a big factor too. Iron Hill would probably even be better than Brandywine due to those factors, but yeah I wouldn't take anyone you want to get hooked to either of those two courses.

Near Columbus, OH, see if you can get in touch with Chuck Custer, the owner of Twilight Zone. That is a very unique private course where he fit 18 unique holes of varying length on 5 acres. Definitely a one-of-a-kind of experience if you ask me.

Victory Park looks like a front runner for that stop, but Hole 3 at Begg looks pretty cool!

Not sure where we'll be staying there yet, but we'll be visiting Castleton-On-Hudson. Joralemon will be in between nursing home visits. It would be great to play with someone local! Ill have to see if we can plan well enough for that. It looks like we have go up to Albany and then back down to get there...:( Maybe I should look for a back up course to play on the east side of the Hudson...really liked the look of Joralemon, though. :)

Do you have a boat? ;) Casleton on the hudson is like right across the river from Jpark. Don't look for something else to play J is the must play in the area. We are growing but even from Castleton J is the closest course.

I'd go to Lums Pond instead of Brandywine or Iron Hill given that info. Brandywine is a bit open and long and gets HOT in the sun/no trees there and searching for discs in tall grass is not fun, and the wind will likely be a big factor too. Iron Hill would probably even be better than Brandywine due to those factors, but yeah I wouldn't take anyone you want to get hooked to either of those two courses.

Well, the itinerary looks like it is changing such that IA and PA/DE are no longer part of it...but NYC for one night. :\

Gonna hafta refigure some things...

Brent Hambrick Memorial or Delaware SP in Columbus. Can't go wrong with either.

Near Columbus, OH, see if you can get in touch with Chuck Custer, the owner of Twilight Zone. That is a very unique private course where he fit 18 unique holes of varying length on 5 acres. Definitely a one-of-a-kind of experience if you ask me.

:) I will take a look at those!

Do you have a boat? ;) Casleton on the hudson is like right across the river from Jpark. Don't look for something else to play J is the must play in the area. We are growing but even from Castleton J is the closest course.

Also from castleton to J park this route may be better then up to albany and back down.

That may be a possible route. :thmbup:
I found out earlier that we will be staying in East Berne. That is not the direction I was expecting, but that is where wife's old friends have moved to.... So, Castleton to Joralemon to East Berne to Castleton to Canada. :-o

Last edited: