• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Keen Koven?

brutalbrutus

* Ace Member *
So I won on a scratch off earlier, and went and bought a pair of shoes without doing any research. I went to 3 different stores looking for Merrils but they either don't make extra wide sizes or the store didn't carry them. While I was at dick's I noticed they had one pair of 13 extra wide Keen Koven waterproofs. I impulse bought them after trying them on, never put on a new shoe that fit so well. I did a title search and found nothing, so I figured I'd just make a thread. Has anybody had these, am I stupid? I can already tell they will need a dr scholls insert but that's nothing new, I almost always get them for new shoes anyway..

I bought a pair recently at Academy after finding no trail running shoes that fit well. They still need to break in but overall I'm liking them. They're really grippy, so be sure to make sure you follow through off concrete teepads; I've had my shoe stick a few times believe it or not. I did not get waterproof ones, and I probably should add an insert, but overall they seem pretty nice. I've only had them for about a month though, so I'm not speaking from having a life cycle experience with these shoes. But they do seem to work well.

Of course the most important question is how it's pronounced.

I have a pair, been using them for the last couple of months and I really, really like them. The waterproofing is great, feet are always dry, even after being submerged for a few moments. They guys I play with are thinking about getting some because I am usually the only person w/ dry feet. Probably have 40 or so rounds in them (all concrete tees), and there are no structural issues w/ the shoe. The do get a bit hot, but I think its an OK trade-off for dry feet in the spring. I'm confident that you'll be happy w/ the purchase.

Thx, I am hoping to extend their life by only using them for morning and rainy rounds. Im a big guy so I imagine I will wear through these faster than the average bear.

My son has been wearing Keens for Scouts. Great shoes but little cushioning. I think he actually outgrew his. I have been wearing Keen Sandals for over a year, They are my Favorite Shoes to wear! I dont mind wet feet as long as they are my sandals!

These are the shoes I prefer to wear, these types of Keens (they've sort of had the similar shoe under different model names for a few years seems like.)

With the Koven, they've pretty much eliminated the problems with the Keen soles w/r/t pivoting and pulling apart the 2 piece treads. Basically, they're one piece now.

Great shoes for widish feet (even if you can't find the "extra wide" ones.)

Oh, mine are not waterproof. I've just found I prefer a shoe that's not for a couple of reasons.

Last edited:
Cuz the WP's make your feet stank, lol. Well they are holding up well after the first couple rounds, except for the half inch thorn that is stuck in one of the soles. Damn you Osage! lol

Little over a month in and the Koven WP are performing great. Two minor issues. I think I yanked on one of the tongues a little too hard and it has a slight tear where it meets the side of the shoe, but its isn't bad enough to affect them. I might have to get new laces cause they keep getting loose about halfway through a round. They don't come untied but all of a sudden I'll be walking across a side hill and notice how much my feet are sliding around in them. The laces are not long enough to double not either. No problems at all with the soles wearing down or stitching, and I have been wearing them a lot lately for tournaments. Last night at a rainy league night they were absolutely awesome.

Mine are holding up fine as well, I especially love the grip these get on grass when I'm putting.

It's odd that you say your laces are coming undone and are too short to double knot. I caan double knot mine just fine, and they have that texture which locks the knot together to keep them from coming undone. Mine aren't WP though, just normal shoes, so maybe that's the difference?

Well mine are a 13extra wide so maybe the laces are just the same length as yours in a bigger shoe. They are not really coming untied, its more like the laces stretch during use, and therefore need to be tightened once in a while. Maybe I just don't tie them tight enough to begin with...

Mine are the same size as yours. I got the extra wide sort of as an experiment...I really didn't need them. Keens run a bit wider in general, and a regular 13 probably would've worked.

I'm seeing some of what you're talking about, where on a long day on the course, they start to feel kind of loose, and I have to cinch them up and retie.

If I remember right, mine are size 12 normal width, so that size difference could be the case. I'll have to remember to check my laces midway through the next round I play to see if they're any looser

2months and at least 30 rounds in and these shoes are performing great. Man it is such a wonderful thing to not have wet socks during the first round of a tourney.

Not entirely on subject but my experience with Keen's. Bought a pair of Marshall's in January and really liked them. Noticed that when I played early morning rounds my feet where getting soaked. I had thought they where supposed to be WP and since I wasn't putting my feet in anything more than morning dew I didn't think this should be an issue.

I noticed the sole coming apart from the shoe part on both heels. I remembered about Keen's warranty and contacted them. Filled out the form and sent them a picture of the issue and the receipt. Less than 24 hours after putting in the warranty claim I got a voucher for $130 to their online store. I had paid $95 for my Marshall's.

I opted to get the red Kozo which after selecting UPS ground I paid nothing. I will defiantly buy from Keen again. Such an easy company to deal with.

Yea my keens are great, so far. My only gripe is that even with a dr scholls insert, they are hard for a big guy to walk around in all day. The fit is great but they just seem stiff in the soles, compared to what I am used too.

Love these shoes! Just bought my third pair. I play/practice at least 5 days a week and they last me a season. Only reason I have to get new ones is because the tread is completely gone on the right foot, making it hard to climb even the slightest incline when it's wet out.

One of the few shoes out there that fit me well, last a long time and actually have arch support! I've yet to handle a Merrell that you can't fold in half! Nice looking shoes, but without any arch support, my feet would be killing me.

Bought a pair of these today off of shoemall.com for 79.99 They have a 20% off code through this weekend with free shipping. I have been wearing a pair of Nike cross trainers that are older than one of my children. I play a lot in the early morning and am tired of wet feet.

Latest posts