• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Keen vs. Merrell

Horsman

Pandamonium Discs
Gold level trusted reviewer
Aight peeps in your opinion what shoes have the best outsole for a shoe.

The reason why I ask is because I am going to be buying a new pair of shoes for disc golf and am debating between keen and merrell. I have a side 15 foot so my options are limited and am kinda pissed that Keen won't make the Deleveaga in a size 15 but whatever.

My problem with all shoes is that I am a toe dragger and to me the Merrells seem like they have a tougher outsole but the keens have a toe guard on some shoes like the tyron wp.

The two that I am looking at are the Keen Tyron WP and the Merrell Chameleon 4 stretch.

The ventelator gore tex has a toe like a keen, but not as clunky

My buddy has a size 15. He also is a toe dragger. He no longer waists money on quality shoes cause keen or merril didn't hold up. Stop dragging your toe.

Lol yea I wish I could stop draggin my toe, I think its cuz of brown deers awesomely nice raked concrete pads that ruin my shoes

Merrells outsoles suck. Merrells w/ vibram rule.
Most keens have better toe coverage, its wrapped in rubber vs teflon coating.
Keens generally run wider.

Stop dragging your toe.

Vasque. Better than both. Merrells and Keens both wear out for me pretty quickly. The Lowas I've been using along with my Vasques are both holding up well so far.

I think its cuz of brown deers awesomely nice raked concrete pads that ruin my shoes

I know what you are talking about regarding Brown Deer. But at least there is no risk of slipping on the tee pad. Having to "step up" to them sucks, though. I bought a pair of size 13 Merrill Moab Ventilator shoes several months ago and they are holding up very well.

Yeah what I meant was the merrells that I would be getting are going to have the vibram outsole

Keen Alamosa WP after one month of playing (mostly concrete pads)
picture.php

These Keens are super comfortable, and I'm depressed that the sole isn't very durable...
so I ordered some merrells from REI to test out the vibram soles.

WTH you doin to those Keens man? I suspect form issues are exaggerating the sole damage. I go through a pair Targhee II's about every six months, because it begins to lose its foot support, not the sole. They are by far the most comfortable shoes I've played in. I've got bad feet and I'm very picky about shoes and went through Moabs way too quick, they would lose foot support in a few weeks. Also note that Keens are typically a .5 size smaller than normal.

I also wonder what you guys are doing to your shoes on the course. I play almost everyday and always on concrete pads. Ive had my Keen Siskiyous since about March and havent noticed any problems with them and there super comfortable.

Aight peeps in your opinion what shoes have the best outsole for a shoe.

The reason why I ask is because I am going to be buying a new pair of shoes for disc golf and am debating between keen and merrell. I have a side 15 foot so my options are limited and am kinda pissed that Keen won't make the Deleveaga in a size 15 but whatever.

My problem with all shoes is that I am a toe dragger and to me the Merrells seem like they have a tougher outsole but the keens have a toe guard on some shoes like the tyron wp.

The two that I am looking at are the Keen Tyron WP and the Merrell Chameleon 4 stretch.

The DeLa's run big - a 14 may work for you. Many who got a pair at worlds were fitting into a smaller size than they normally did.

Also - yeah stop dragging your toe. :p

I find both brands extremely comfortable in certain models, but Merrell has been getting my business recently because I find them to be more durable and I find more of their models to be comfortable on my feet. If you get Merrells, do yourself a favor and buy some good insoles, like Superfeet. Keen insoles are outstanding, though, so no need to replace them.

I feel your pain pal. I too wear a size 15 and am a toe dragger. I wrote Keen an email when I saw that the Dela's weren't available in a 15. When they wrote back, they suggested the Targhee II (here). I ordered a pair in a size 15 with the black/olive/red whatever color. Length is nice, only one width available though. Notice the huge sole wrapping on the toe. I have been playing with them for the past 2 weeks or so. Extremely comfortable.

My only complaint is the shoes are huge. Like, 15 is a big shoe, but these feel like clown shoes. If you have ever seen Young Frankenstein, think the big black platforms that Frankenstein wears so he towers over everyone else in the movie. That's what it feels like. They'll probably look great with a pair of jeans, but in athletic shorts it's a bit strange - but we're not out there for fashion, right? :hfive:

If you go with keen, they have exceptional customer service. I bought a pair of milo IIs in size 13, not seeing that they tend to run about a half size small. After a tournament, my toes were so smashed that the nails turned purple. I wrote to them about it but didn't hear back for a couple weeks so I figured I was SOL. Then I get an email from them that they sent me a size 14, no questions asked. Even though mine are used, they said just send them back anyway if the new ones work better. During that two week period, I moved to a different state, and they sent the shoes to my old place and FedEx just dropped them off and left. I told this to the keen rep and she didn't ask any questions or seem angry that I basically just lost them a pair of shoes. She simply asked if it was ok if they sent me a pair of Delaveagas instead to my new place.

So a crappy customer (me) buys shoes that don't fit even though they say they won't fit. Crappy customer complains about it, they send out a replacement pair. Crappy customer loses them. They send another, new and improved pair. They will have my business for quite some time based solely on the quality of service.

Side note, my keen stamped echo star destroyer saved me a few strokes.

Keens are wider. I have a problem with the low hikers being too loose. I have a pair of Keen mids that are waterproof and I wear in the rain and winter and they work great. But for the rest of the time I went with the Salomon Exit 2. They are awesome.

The DeLa's run big - a 14 may work for you. Many who got a pair at worlds were fitting into a smaller size than they normally did.

Also - yeah stop dragging your toe. :p

See now I'm hearing the exact opposite about the dela's, that they run about a half size small.

Latest posts