• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Keeping the Teepads Dry

What's the best way to keep a teepad dry?

• Slope - Design the teepad so water runs off in one direction

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Crown - Make the center a bit higher than the edges

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Groove - Make grooves in the surface to carry runoff

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Roughen - Make the surface rough enough so you have dry points above the water

Votes: 30 50.8%
  • Gravel - Let the water percolate through the teepad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Natural - We're all animals, let's play in the mud

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else - Please detail in a post

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

bazillion

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Start with a flat tee. Now, what's the best way to keep water from being an adverse factor in teeing off?

Last edited:
I like the cement pads with the groves in the cement to make them rough. Any mud or leaves make them slick. I make sure I wear shoes with aggressive tread pattern so I can trhow without it being much of a problem. For God's sake, do not paint the teepads! Just a bad idea.

Any of the first 4 on that list are fine by me, either give it a little slope or crown, then give it some texture whether that's grooves or some other pattern. The tees that do both of these are going to be the best in all conditions and the most likely to stay playable in really wet weather. Wolito - I agree completely, there's a course near here that did that and it made the tees slick even on a dry warm day.

Slight slope and with a good brushing as said before...but the brushing isn't so much for high points that are dry, it's to have a footing when the whole thing is wet. If I can only have one - a good brushing will win out every time for water.

At our course we use rubber pads that are set into a gravel tee area... our perticular pads ar e great in the rain.. the excess water runs off to the gravel and the pads just reamain a little damp(even if there soaked they provide wonderful grip) there much better then flypads, and even thou there new still they seem to hold up better too

I like the cement pads with the groves in the cement to make them rough. Any mud or leaves make them slick. I make sure I wear shoes with aggressive tread pattern so I can trhow without it being much of a problem. For God's sake, do not paint the teepads! Just a bad idea.

Any of the first 4 on that list are fine by me, either give it a little slope or crown, then give it some texture whether that's grooves or some other pattern. The tees that do both of these are going to be the best in all conditions and the most likely to stay playable in really wet weather. Wolito - I agree completely, there's a course near here that did that and it made the tees slick even on a dry warm day.

These should word best.

A uniform slope at 1/4" per foot is pretty close to ideal. Also, the slope should fall in the same direction as the surrounding slope. That should be obvious, but it doesn't always happen.

I like this better than a crown because it provides an even, flat surface across the whole of the pad.

The finish of the concrete is also critical. You want to provide traction but not at the expense of twisted leg and hip joints. A shop broom provides a decent grain.

EDIT: another thing to consider... install the top of the pad a couple of inches above the existing ground surface and then grade a gradual slope apron around the pad. This prevents the surrounding ground from raising above the level of the pad, forming a basin where water can pool. This is probably more prevalent in northern states where freeze/thaw cycles cause the ground to heave each year.

Last edited:
well besides a VERY gentle slop also make sure that there is an area in close distance that is at a lower point. so many courses ive played have neglected to take this into account and during heavy rains you cant play from the tee. but there is also a flaw to the slope. if you get icy conditions a slop will make it all that more slippery.

Yeah. Tee pads (and baskets for that matter) shouldn't be located in a low spot.

Roughen or grooves when done right. I've seen teepads with deep grooves that might be a trip hazzard.

A surface water diversion to intercept runoff and direct it away from the tee is very effective along with a slight slope on the tee itself, or Slightly raised tees with a slight slope are effective as well, rough tees are the best

I say a slight crown or a slight slant. not enough to really notice but enough to have the water run off it. Too bad i am from Houston and we play in the mud like animals. BLOWS.

Latest posts