• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kristin Tattar #73986

Just saw this on YT, and was about to link it. Good interview and very insightful.

Really excellent interview. For all his "goofy disc golf guy" persona, Jonathan is a really talented interviewer and storyteller. His "Going to the USA was the worst trip of my life" was incredibly well done.

As for Kristin, if I was still coaching any sport I'd encourage every athlete to pay close attention to every aspect of her physical and mental game. She's an amazing professional and the video really tells the story of how she developed into such a fantastic champion.

Really excellent interview. For all his "goofy disc golf guy" persona, Jonathan is a really talented interviewer and storyteller. His "Going to the USA was the worst trip of my life" was incredibly well done.

As for Kristin, if I was still coaching any sport I'd encourage every athlete to pay close attention to every aspect of her physical and mental game. She's an amazing professional and the video really tells the story of how she developed into such a fantastic champion.
Agreed. Kristin being the humble person she is didn't spend much time talking about her experience being a skier, but I'd imagine to be a ski instructor in a place like Estonia, I'd wager she is really, really good, and probably where she got all that power in her legs and core to putt and throw the way she does. I'd think spending all day long going up and down those crazy slopes there as your job was a pretty good way to build that kind of power. She wasn't just some regular Jane who decided one day to get off the couch and take up disc golfing, she was already an elite level female athlete prior to even throwing a single shot.

Yes! When I heard her talk about her skiing background and being the daughter of two athletes, I thought, "Yes, that totally makes sense."

Excited for Waco and to see how she comes out of the gates. I know she is a true competitor and has been using the resources she has earned to get a good manager leaving more time to focus on her game. Without any evidence supporting my worry I am curious to whether all of this publicity has been a distraction and even more so I hope that she is not feeling pressure to not only live up to the bar she has set for herself and us fans have talked up but the pressure to perform up to her image and standings with companies like Porsche (of Estonia) and Nike (of the Baltics).
I cannot say I expect her to have struggles and I genuinely hope she is elevated by her success and not burdened by it. I am just curious since in many ways she has become bigger than the sport has seen.

When someone dominates their sport so thoroughly as KT has in the last couple of years, the question always arises as to whether or not they can keep it up or deal with the "pressure of success".

An avid/rabid FPO watcher and no KT fan-girl, I don't see any reason short of an injury to prevent her from residing on the podium for several more years.

When someone dominates their sport so thoroughly as KT has in the last couple of years, the question always arises as to whether or not they can keep it up or deal with the "pressure of success".

An avid/rabid FPO watcher and no KT fan-girl, I don't see any reason short of an injury to prevent her from residing on the podium for several more years.
I agree on both terms.
That said, the rapid rise in an emerging sport does feel a little different than when we watch someone rise to dominance in a more established sport. It seems like most comparisons I am familiar with the athletes have some semblance of expectation of what fame and fortune possible. We are just beginning the era where new aspiring professionals are seeing this potential from the day they pick up their first disc. Does KT seem shell shocked by her own success? Not really. Do I expect her to have another successful season? Of course, maybe not another grand slam, but that still wouldn't be a shock. Am I still processing that this is what the sport has become? Absolutely.

My guess is that she'll remain the best FPO player, but may not be as dominant this season. There are some big arms playing really well right now (Evelina, Holyn, Ela, Eliezra) that could push her in the next few years. The biggest question might be whether the health issues that KT experienced this off-season will have an impact on her early season play.

Outside of her re-injuring her elbow, and declining with age (eventually) as younger talented females continue to pop up, I think the only thing standing in Kristin's way currently is her desire/drive. In previous years she has had a clear set of goals she wanted to accomplish, and has met them. It'll be interesting to see what new goals she sets for herself and if her desire to achieve them is strong enough to continue at such a high level. I'm certain she has motivators, but some people need a lofty goal, a villianesque rival, or some imagined hurdle to turn up that dial and stay competitive. Even Michael Jordan got burnt out at several points and felt he had nothing left to prove. I personally hope she keeps setting the bar high for other FPO players and continues to push players to improve in order to compete.

My guess is that she'll remain the best FPO player, but may not be as dominant this season. There are some big arms playing really well right now (Evelina, Holyn, Ela, Eliezra) that could push her in the next few years. The biggest question might be whether the health issues that KT experienced this off-season will have an impact on her early season play.

Add Silva Saarinen and Henna Blomroos to that list. Of the contenders, I think the arc is rising fastest for Holyn and Silva, with Eliezra a year or two behind. Personally, I'd be happiest to see Ella breakout and Paige re-assert herself.

Add Silva Saarinen and Henna Blomroos to that list. Of the contenders, I think the arc is rising fastest for Holyn and Silva, with Eliezra a year or two behind. Personally, I'd be happiest to see Ella breakout and Paige re-assert herself.
If Evelina putts well, she's the player to beat in 2024. She's currently the best all around thrower off the tee in FPO and perhaps of all time. If she can keep the momentum going on the green, she's the number one contender to beat Kristin this year.

I think Henna's problem is the same as Holyn's last season, getting out of her own head and letting her skills do the heavy lifting. She has all the shots to challenge and I can definitely see her breaking through this year.

I think Silva is only playing a few events in the US this year, but it would have been interesting to see how she would have handled that grind. Personally, I think sticking with the European tour is the best choice for her.

I'd love to see Evelina shred the tour this year. I think she'll be at the Champions Cup this year so I'll finally get a chance to see her in person.

Paige is definitely young enough to fully recover from her injury and push to regain that elite level. Her performance in the Chess was a really good sign.

Ella's epic meltdown last year made for a dramatic finish. I predict Tattar will struggle a little bit out of the gate but will be able to walk this one in a bit easier when it's all said and done.

Ella's epic meltdown last year made for a dramatic finish. I predict Tattar will struggle a little bit out of the gate but will be able to walk this one in a bit easier when it's all said and done.
I would echo your sentiment except that 2 rounds at Lake Waco might shake things up some I'm afraid. From what I have seen of the course (mostly MPO practice rounds) the course looks to reward the longer throwers with some water carries that could punish the shorter arms. While I expect Kristin to play consistent golf spread across 4 rounds (likely 1 below her ability round mixed in offset by one domination round as she often does), I expect things to tighten up some on the golf course rounds. Will certainly be interesting to see who can shine on both courses.

I think Henna's problem is the same as Holyn's last season, getting out of her own head and letting her skills do the heavy lifting. She has all the shots to challenge and I can definitely see her breaking through this year.
She has to putt better, no way around it, her tee game is so elite level that she can compete but FPO is so competitive nowadays that you can't crack top 10 with mediocre (or worse) putting anymore. Holyn has always putted well. I don't think its entirely mental with Henna. I think there is something mechanical about her grip and release that's not generating enough velocity and consistency. She's as physically gifted as they come, athletic and a really long wingspan/ape index, but you gotta bang putts if you wanna hit the podium. The forehand needs work but she's so good at backhand that it's not a necessity, but that putt has to start getting clean.

I would echo your sentiment except that 2 rounds at Lake Waco might shake things up some I'm afraid.

I just had a look at the caddie book and you aren't kidding. The tee shot water carries are not too intimidating for the FPO, but there is some wicked distance requirements and water protected baskets where most of the FPO players will be making approach shots with fast discs. Kristin should do well on the par 5s as they look to require a lot of second and third shot accuracy.

There's more depth and talent in FPO than ever before. I don't think anyone could be surprised if Evalina, Ella, Henna, Holyn, Ohn, Silva, Hailey.... wins an Elite Series event (or two).

But my guess is KT will continue to be on more final round lead cards than anyone else. Even if she's not quite as dominant as she's been the past couple of years, she's still the best in the game. Such a well balanced game, with the attitude, confidence, and mental game it takes to rise to the occasion.

Regardless who else wins this or that event, I'll be surprised if someone can wrestle World's away from her.

Last edited:

Latest posts