• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Lat64 Fuse

Anyone compared an Opto Fuse to a Star Mako3? If so, what do you think of each?

I currently have a Lucid DD Truth as my straight mid. Unfortunately when I throw it under about 90% power it has a slight fade at the very end. Most of the time I can play for the fade but my home course has a lot of trees so there are times I need a disc that will give me a straight flight at 70% power and below. I've been waiting for my Truth to break in to that disc but it isn't happening. I'm looking at either the Opto Fuse or the Star Mako3 for that straight as an arrow medium power spot.

Thanks for any and all input!

TripleB

I know you're wanting a Trilogy disc, but for other readers with the same question that would consider something else, they can try the MVP Tangent. Very straight when powered down.

^Or, ya know, they could release the disc in an orientation other than flat. Glob forbid TripleB or other readers release their discs with a hint of anhyzer . . .

^Or, ya know, they could release the disc in an orientation other than flat. Glob forbid TripleB or other readers release their discs with a hint of anhyzer . . .

This is a case where I get it completely. I don't like throwing midrange tunnels with anny, especially low ceiling. If I want a straight flexed shot, I need a stable enough disc to fight it and stay straight but not so stable to fade...and if I overdo the angle on a disc like that it will land on slight edge. Also with annies I have to throw it over the apex, rather than a hyzer flip where I throw it more low to high and toward the apex. I feel hyzer flips want to push straight and end with different grades of straight with a slightly understable disc.

Some people are really good at that slight flex tunnel shot, and I think everyone should be able to do it if absolutely necessary, but I do think that shot is technically much harder to execute than a slight hyzer flip.

This is a case where I get it completely. I don't like throwing midrange tunnels with anny, especially low ceiling. If I want a straight flexed shot, I need a stable enough disc to fight it and stay straight but not so stable to fade...and if I overdo the angle on a disc like that it will land on slight edge. Also with annies I have to throw it over the apex, rather than a hyzer flip where I throw it more low to high and toward the apex. I feel hyzer flips want to push straight and end with different grades of straight with a slightly understable disc.

Some people are really good at that slight flex tunnel shot, and I think everyone should be able to do it if absolutely necessary, but I do think that shot is technically much harder to execute than a slight hyzer flip.

First and foremost, I agree with and like your opinion on most everything you say on this site.

IIRC you throw an honest 400'+ (like myself), TripleB however does not. He's asking for a 70% power throw with a mid in a straight line, at shorter distances than either you or I throw. **If I throw a Buzzz on just a hair of anhyzer at comparable distances it doesn't really turn at all. It thinks about turning, looks like it wants to turn, begs the flight gods to turn, but barely if ever actually does it. I don't have much personal experience with a Truth but from what I know it's at LEAST as stable as a Buzzz.

TripleB is new and has already gone through a ton of trying different molds. We all do when we get bit by the DG bug. I'm sure you're familiar with his mold testing based upon your time spent on this site (like myself) and the quantity of posts he's made since joining DGCR.

I'm not saying nobody should ever throw flat, I'm not saying 3B should never throw flat, but what I am suggesting is that instead of finded yet another mold, maybe just maybe try altering release. Yes my tone of voice was poking SD slightly, won't deny it.

**I don't ever need to do this because I can just throw it flat. But yeah differences in skill and disc selection and all that stuff...

I'm not saying nobody should ever throw flat, I'm not saying 3B should never throw flat, but what I am suggesting is that instead of finded yet another mold, maybe just maybe try altering release.

Completely agree.

Basically in all cases of "do I need ___ disc" I think the first step should be...pick out your likely best candidates from your bag. And then pick out other weird choices. Heck, just try them all. Try this shot. Repeat a few times with all of the discs that may work. Were you executing the technique well enough? If so and none of your discs did a reproducible job at this shot...like you're trying to throw a pure hyzer with a Leopard in 10MPH wind...then yes you should get a new disc. Or are you crap at that shot? Then practice that shot for a while, then see if any of your discs work. At a certain point it becomes more work to add another disc to your bag, then to add another shot type that you can use 3-5 of your current discs with for new opportunities.

Truths go far and may not power down the best, and I wouldn't like throwing them under 250'. But this where we have a problem, to me a 60% mid throw is like 275' and is still going to be pretty straight, so it can get tricky to make recommendations for everyone.

Mako3 is very very straight, has "good" glide but it's the amount you would expect out of straight mids of that speed range. Very predictable from what I have seen, won't mess around on you too much. I really think it would overlap a ton with a straight Truth, although it may be a bit easier to power down while the Truth would get more distance on lower lines I bet.

Fuse is extra glidey, and can be powered down more easily. It may not be understable still unless thrown pretty firmly, but it can be powered down more easily than a Truth and will glide easier than a Mako3 when thrown with less power.

While I think the Mako3 is a bit more predictable, you already have that in a straight Truth so I think a Fuse will give you more variety in the pairing.

Edit: Also getting dead straight finishes at midrange style distances is a lot of technique. Need nose down to delay the fade. Lots of the time I like to overpower the shot so the disc would fly 20-30' farther, but throw it lower so it hits the ground before the fade kicks in. Also if you know your mid will fade out if you throw it 70%, then it may be time for a 80-90% putter throw to get the straight shot. Of course there are times when the putter would need too much height or you don't want to throw that hard through a gap, so you need to throw a powered down mid. This is where the Fuse would work great...power it down, let it glide.
I have thrown Champ Mako3, GL Fuse, and Opto Fuses. The two Fuses were pretty much identical to each other, which is odd because I can hardly find the same disc in the same plastic that will fly the same, but these two plastic-types had no discernible difference.

For me, a Fuse thrown flat at 80-100% power will finish right, although it's not a fast turn. It's gradual, and I've had people comment on how they've never seen a disc go straight and then turn that late in the flight. At 70% power, it will go straight and finish straight. Any less, and it will start to fade a little.

The Mako3 basically just goes straight with a slightly larger fade the less power you give it. At 100% power it will flip up from a slight hyzer a little and finish straight, but so will my Fuse with just a bit more hyzer on it. If I had never thrown the Fuse, I'd be bagging the Mako3 and loving it, but I've parked more shots with my Fuse than with all my other discs combined. They can pretty much hit the same lines, but I do like the control of the Fuse better when powering down, as well as the extra distance I can get with it when powering up, and the fact that I can use it as a straight to right disc instead of having to throw a forehand.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, and the Fuse is also amazing at touch anhyzers maybe up to around 250'. I give it some height at a decent anhyzer angle and throw at about 60-70% power while giving a pronounced snap. This shapes the most beautiful floaty lines that just hold all the way through without really wanting to crash to the ground.

Also great is using its glide for escaping from trees when the only line you have is an anhyzer-out. Just a little flick and exaggerated snap like I mentioned for the previous shot and you're going to get 30'+ further than you would with most other discs in that situation.

BUT, the absolute most fun of all is the 90-100% power hyzer flip. It's really a thing of beauty to watch this disc fly so straight for so far and then just sit down perfectly flat once it gets tired of floating on magic. I could throw this disc downhill forever, and sometimes that's how long I think its going to stay airborne.

Yes, this is my favorite disc of all time by a large margin.

Last edited:
Yeah when this disc came out I spurred lots of Comet comparisons. Collectively Fuses are a little too understable to be quite as Comet neutral but for something without a bead it's pretty dang close. Anything that merits Comet comparisons is a great disc.

Yes, this is my favorite disc of all time by a large margin.

AWESOME to hear!!! Ordered a 169g Opto yellow one yesterday...will be here tomorrow! Now if the rain of 3 straight days will end maybe I'll get to try it out!!!

TripleB

I got a base plastic "Burst" Fuse today for being in a Feldberg clinic...I imagine it's going to be pretty flippy?

I got a base plastic "Burst" Fuse today for being in a Feldberg clinic...I imagine it's going to be pretty flippy?

Is it board flat? Every Retro/Prime disc I've tried has been super flat (although I haven't tried Burst). In the case of drivers, it makes them start out more overstable. For the understable mids I've tried like the Evidence, they are still flippy but with less glide and more fade than GL/Opto. I don't personally like that flight much for that type of disc.

Is it board flat? Every Retro/Prime disc I've tried has been super flat (although I haven't tried Burst). In the case of drivers, it makes them start out more overstable. For the understable mids I've tried like the Evidence, they are still flippy but with less glide and more fade than GL/Opto. I don't personally like that flight much for that type of disc.

Yeah, board flat, stiff. Might knock it around a bit for a round.

Max weight Opto Fuses (180g) are a thing of beauty. That extra mass doesn't seem to change the speed at which the disc starts to turn, but it makes the disc turn over more slowly once it is traveling fast enough to turn. That's really nice for an understable mid, since it gives you a lot more room for error if you throw it a tad bit too hard. Plus the momentum from the extra weight makes it carry further without getting slowed down by the air, especially if you give it some height. Makes me wish I could get 180g putters too.

Max weight Opto Fuses (180g) are a thing of beauty. That extra mass doesn't seem to change the speed at which the disc starts to turn, but it makes the disc turn over more slowly once it is traveling fast enough to turn. That's really nice for an understable mid, since it gives you a lot more room for error if you throw it a tad bit too hard. Plus the momentum from the extra weight makes it carry further without getting slowed down by the air, especially if you give it some height. Makes me wish I could get 180g putters too.

Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.

Latitude announced today that the Fuse is coming out in Opto-X plastic.

I am very interested. Thank you JohnE McCray.

Latitude announced today that the Fuse is coming out in Opto-X plastic.

I am very interested. Thank you JohnE McCray.

Burnt-fuseboard-300x179.jpg

My favorite Fuses are max weight Optos so this should be right up my alley. If Opto X is usually more stable than this could be very Comet-esque.

Yeah, I always carry one gold line and one opto. Both max weight.

The gold lines will get into the turn a little earlier in the flight and doesn't fight out as much. The opto is a laser off a hyzerflip and powers up better than the gold line. Definitely keeping my eyes on the opto X, as long as they don't sacrifice too much glide.

Honestly I love the Fuse on tight wooded fairways. Very shapable and gets great glidey distance while powered down.

On a little mini-roadtrip to a great wooded course I thought I was gonna cry when I discovered I left my Fuse at the previous course. Okay, not really but a black cloud did follow me all round b/c every other hole was calling for that Fuse. Thankfully nobody picked it up.