• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude 64 Trident.

I have a 170 Trident that has been in my bag for about a year now, and once they beat up a little they are awesome. I need to get a new one, but I have yet to find a bubblegum pink one. I have been looking for one forever.

I need to start throwing my Trident longer. I mainly use it as a get out of jail disc...short tricky shots...for which it absolutely shines.

I need to start throwing my Trident longer. I mainly use it as a get out of jail disc...short tricky shots...for which it absolutely shines.

Once beat in it can really get some distance with a solid fade. This disc has been in my bag the longest of all.

And I love it!

Couple of things that I haven't seen mentioned:

1. The newer Trident Molds are different. The sparkle optos, and the newer optos are not nearly as overstable as they used to be, and the new GL (color shifts, etc.) come out the box new like a broke in GL. It seems as though Lat. really "softened" the disc in many ways.

Because of this...

2. Buy the older molds. The GLs are Gold, Blue, and Grey, and have a slightly different stamp. The Optos are pink, and orange, and I think I might have even seen a clear one...

3. Older GL's- when broken in, make a perfect fairway driver. You can even turn them over a bit... I often use my GL for a 250-300' fairway that is tight. It will run perfectly down the line I send it.

4. Older Optos- as you break them in, they still have meat hook tendencies, but will glide farther.

Right now for my Forehand throws, I still carry my ESP Zone that is nearly impossible to break in for 175-200' tosses, but the Trident can even steal some of those tosses if I'm really worried about the wind.

I really believe the Trident is one of the best discs that is completely overlooked.

1. The newer Trident Molds are different. The sparkle optos, and the newer optos are not nearly as overstable as they used to be, and the new GL (color shifts, etc.) come out the box new like a broke in GL. It seems as though Lat. really "softened" the disc in many ways.

Because of this...

2. Buy the older molds. The GLs are Gold, Blue, and Grey, and have a slightly different stamp. The Optos are pink, and orange, and I think I might have even seen a clear one...

3. Older GL's- when broken in, make a perfect fairway driver. You can even turn them over a bit... I often use my GL for a 250-300' fairway that is tight. It will run perfectly down the line I send it.

4. Older Optos- as you break them in, they still have meat hook tendencies, but will glide farther.

Right now for my Forehand throws, I still carry my ESP Zone that is nearly impossible to break in for 175-200' tosses, but the Trident can even steal some of those tosses if I'm really worried about the wind.

I really believe the Trident is one of the best discs that is completely overlooked.

Glad you said this. I have an opaque red that is a beefy monster and I got a newer run that is very mild in comparison, almost a different disc.

I'm pretty happy with my Banshee right now, but Lat is sexy and so I constantly think about trying out a Trident.

Yes sir.

I would give the trident a speed of 6 and the xxx an 8. I find the trident has more of an "L" flight and the xxx a "C" flight. The trident depending on weight and wear does usually gain or has a slight turn to it thrown flat and a hard fade.

^ Right on.

Because of this...

Where are you getting this info? Different how? Mold? Settings? Plastic?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this.

My sample set is small (I've only thrown a handful of GL Tridents in the past year). There's no shortage of fade in any of them, but older Tridents seem to have quite a bit more.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this.

My sample set is small (I've only thrown a handful of GL Tridents in the past year). There's no shortage of fade in any of them, but older Tridents seem to have quite a bit more.

I have the dark purple opaque Sparkle optos that are very flat and stable. Are these the older run you're mentioning?
The opaque orange ones I own have the digital printed weights and are obviously new and more domey. I haven't really tested them yet.

Can anyone tell me how dome affects this mold as it breaks in?

Is there any significant difference between a Opto and a Gold Line?

I have a Gold Line now,but would it be good to have a Opto also or am I good with the Gold Line?

Thanks. :thmbup:

I have a Gold Line now,but would it be good to have a Opto also or am I good with the Gold Line?

Opto is more overstable. Maybe a little less glide. Unless you are Felderburg who can throw these things straight, a gold line will be a lot more workable. Opto Tridents are great for insane winds or very tight flex shots. I only really throw mine into major winds, but on those days it flies like a champ.

I have both bagged at 177g, my GL gets more throws because the color makes it easier to spot. I don't notice any flight difference between the two and have never thrown the GL and and regretted choosing it over the Opto.

Unless your GL is beat to hell, I doubt picking up an Opto would be different.

I think there is a difference between opto and gl. I also occasionally bag XXX and they are the same when it comes to plastic differences. A GL has some glide to it where the opto has non at all. I personally feel that the majority of lat makes anything in gl vs opto has a hair more turn, fade and glide. Some discs more than others.

I'm pretty darn sure that was me, actually, and I also use the bishop vs. knight analogy for them as well. Do note that I am talking about calm conditions since both a headwind and tailwind will change flight characteristics. Obviously if you're throwing them both on <200' shots they'll both have immediate fade, but given enough power the Trident will definitely be straighter longer - similar to the Banshee/Firebird relationship [Except both Lat64 discs are more overstable than their Innova counterparts].

I'm not sure if it was a freak, Opto xXxs are REALLY overstable. What distances were you throwing those two?

I have purchased 2 XXX and 2 Trident discs in weights 173 grams+, and have not found them to be more stable than their innova counterparts whippets, banshees, or firebirds, the trident is useful though, dead nut straight flicks for me, might have to put it back in my bag for when I want a little more straight distance and not as much lateral skip at the end like my Whippet.

Bump. Figured id post because i recently threw in a domey gl trident in the bag and ive been liking it for a powered down mid range and an os fairway control driver. I dont have much time but i do like the feel and results so far,i throw a xxx too but the dump/fade on the two is different so they both get their turns to be thrown.

Bump. Figured id post because i recently threw in a domey gl trident in the bag and ive been liking it for a powered down mid range and an os fairway control driver. I dont have much time but i do like the feel and results so far,i throw a xxx too but the dump/fade on the two is different so they both get their turns to be thrown.

The Trident is still one of my favorites to throw!

got two opto tridents that have printed weights on them that are much more stable than their peers that don't have printed on them.

Latest posts