• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ledgestone 2017

Just made it through the last 10 or so pages. Probably missed something... but... here are some responses.

I'm not as picky as some of y'all (or even the players). I think the course could probably still use some improvements, but overall I'd say this was fair, the OB wasn't as ridiculous as last year, and good play was rewarded. I don't know the Lake Eureka property that well, but I think if there are good locations for a couple more holes, a 21 or even 24 hole course would be fine. I'm one that actually likes making the comparisons to ball golf, but I think that restricting courses to 18 holes is not particularly important. Adding a couple more good holes testing another skill or two while adding some scoring separation isn't a bad thing, unless it disrupts flow of play. If everyone has just one tee time over four days, I think the extra holes would be a good thing.

Or:

...older designs like the Chainstar refuse to accommodate the too-high velocity throws, thus maintaining a bit of the skill of learning to handle the third dimension in putting skill (up/down, right/left, fast/slow).

Overall, I agree. But after watching all the CCDG and Jomez coverage of rounds 1-3, plus the smashcutt of round 4, there were at least 2-3 putts that were not acceptable misses. Barsby had one notoriously bad one, and Ricky had one really bad one. Overall, I thought Ricky actually adapted his putting to the baskets with success, though that last round got out of hand. It seemed to me like Discraft baskets were used because it's a Discraft tournament. But I don't understand why they didn't use some of the higher quality DGA baskets. (Yeah, I'm not one who wants to ban Mach X's...)

So I have a question, Paul's Near ace where his disc was wedged in the basket, he went and removed it right away. Is that required? If not, let's say he left it there till everyone else that was farther out finished, if someone threw an upshot or putt, that hit his disc and pushed it through. Would it count as an ace?

My only question is, why didn't he move the CTP marker? And why didn't someone (Ulibarri?) move the CTP marker on the water tower hole? Did the CTP pot not include the lead card?

I think the most salient points pertain to Anthon's acceptance by the pros and commentators, and his demeanor on the course. The guy acts politely. He chats up the rest of the pros, unlike some, and he is amazingly self controlled. Clearly the commentators who know him like him. If it weren't for his history, something he's paid for, he'd be considered one of the most professional players out there.

BTW, Josh was placed on a lead card earlier this season to much derision. Clearly the TD who made that choice knew more about his capability than some of us posters.

I'm mainly quoting you, Lyle, because I don't remember ever being called a poster. Thank you. Much better than being posterized, as I have been on occasion. Overall, I think 1) good for Anthon for playing so well, so consistently, and keeping his head in a good place, and 2) did anyone really think he was ever going to start throwing another company's plastic? I imagine he would have to continue playing at a top level for another season AND get turned down by Innova to even consider picking up another company as sponsor. As it stands, glad to hear something's working out with Innova.

Who has final round coverage? CCDG? Just wondering which youtube channel to pay attention to, waiting to see the final round lead card.

Do you need a hug? Cause I got one if you need one. I am here for you. Here imagine I am now giving you a big 6'-6" internet hug.

Continue on with your day.

I don't trust your beady little eyes friend. No thanks.

-Day continued.

Who has final round coverage? CCDG? Just wondering which youtube channel to pay attention to, waiting to see the final round lead card.

I think CCDG had the final round lead card. Jomez has the chase card part 1 vid up. If you don't want to wait for that or will watch it anyway, the smashcutt of the live feed is available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fCHwu72oxk

Holy crap hole 6 for the fpo :confused: that was not fun to watch. +17 for the card

And on the flip side. I thought the men's mpo I saw star framed it?

That's wild

Pre Event planning and preparation can really make or break an event. I like events that have all vital information listed. Entry Fees, Course information, player packs, payouts etc. The more information provided leaves no excuses for players who chose to play.

A+ For Ledgestone The website went above and beyond with all the above and more.

Courses are a big part of an event. TD's who do a bad job of marking courses clearly set themselves up for complaining. Poorly marked OB's, lack of information, can really make players upset. Playing a wrong tee or hole can really leave a bad taste in a player's mouth.

A+ For Ledgestone Course setup was fantastic. Every tee at every course had hole information. The Caddy guide was as good as any. Peoria has a fantastic collection of courses.

As for Lake Eureka it's very fun spectating at that course. There isn't a course out there that you will see scoring separation on pretty much every hole. I don't know of any course that is tougher than Lake Eureka. There are a few changes I'd make. Trying to level tee pads would be the first. Having the option to throw off rubber and grass on every tee would be a priority to me as well. The constant complaining about the baskets out there is a a JOKE!! There is nothing wrong with Discraft Chainstars. There are spit outs on every type of basket.
Some changes I'd make. Level area for all tees. Grass/Rubber tee option for every tee shot. Open up bail out hyzer on #1. Get rid of mando. Make Drop Zone easier. # 5. Larger bail out area for a safe option to play the hole. #6. Open up the early part of the fairway for 500ft bombs. #8. Shorten pin to make it more accessible. #11. Move tee away from sidewalk/road. #12. Make a large shorter safe area for non power players.
Payouts & Player Packs
I've seen every type of player pack and payout imaginable. Pick your own. Grab from this box, pre selected items, trophy only, and many more. I have no problem with any as long as it's advertised and fair.

A+ For Ledgestone. The player pack was advertised and holy crap it was AWESOME!! The payouts were MONSTEROUS! For the amateurs complaining about only getting Discraft is ridiculous. There were bags and baskets to pick from too. The selection of Discraft was awesome.

I read some comments Pre & Post event that only having Discraft was stupid. I don't see Dynamic Discs giving away Innova at Glass Blown. I don't see USDGC using Discraft. Discraft offers a great variety of discs and there is nothing wrong paying out with only Discraft.

Day of tournament operations.
I have a little more patience for new tournament directors and smaller local events. I expect more from TD's who've run a handful of events over the years. If they aren't evaluating and making the event better from year to year shame on them. This involves checkin time, turning the board around, awards ceremony, payouts, etc…

A+ For Ledgestone. The checkin line was long but they moved people along as fast as they could. How many events have 800 Amateurs? There's going to be a line. Every course had competent workers. I'm pretty amazed how fast the awards ceremony started after Ledgestone. Scores and tee times were posted. I've see smaller A-Tiers take way longer to get that information up. Nate and his staff have improved this event significantly every year!

Bonus event features. A+ for Ledgestone. There were activities to participate in pretty much every night of the week leading up to that event.

I want to publicly thank Nate H. and his staff which was a small army. What an awesome event. Not only did they pull off a huge event he continues to raise record amount of money. I've tried to fund raise $500. That's hard enough. I can't imagine raising $50K.

Just again..trying to understand the rating system. One thing that I would like 100% clarity on, at Ledgestone based on what I've read the FPO division was not rated against anything the MPO division did, is that correct? If so...then moving forward why wouldn't the FPO division always be rated in this way? Regardless if they did or did not play the same course/layout, as the MPO field? Thx for the comments btw, much appreciated.

No other divisions played the same course as MPO.

For the amateurs complaining about only getting Discraft is ridiculous. There were bags and baskets to pick from too. The selection of Discraft was awesome.

Seriously? People were complaining about that? Ridiculous is an understatement. Uh helloooooo - it's the Ledgestone PRESENTED BY DISCRAFT...