• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lefty-friendly courses. HONESTLY.

BennettUA

Lefty Activist
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I'm looking for you to name off the most lefty backhand (righty forehand) friendly courses out there.

How many are there? SERIOUSLY lefty-friendly, not just a little bit.

And link to the course page in here so we don't have to overuse the search function.

I've found one, Luther Britt in Lumberton, NC. Circles a lake counter-clockwise. Very much favors a lefty, especially from the longs.

Whatcha got?

Your example reminded me of New Creations in Richmond, IN. Another beautiful lake where they've set a course counterclockwise. The slope was really gut-wrenching for my rhbh on a bunch of holes. :eek:

In my experience, if a course has more than one hole that turns left to right, it's considered a "lefty" or "lefty-friendly" course. Doesn't matter if every other hole is a righty backhand hyzer shot, it's a lefty course.

They're all "lefty" courses.

Do you consider Winget "Lefty Friendly"? It has an inordinate amount of tee shots that I end up grabbing a FireBird and throwing a forehand off the tee.

For what it's worth, I've never seen a course that I've thought was lefty or righty friendly.

Currently, the Quartz and Quartz-lite layouts at Stoney Hill are. At least, until we settle on and complete the next construction project, creating a new tee for #2 for these layouts.

By my count, the 24-hole Quartz layout has 13 holes that favor LHBH, 8 that favor RHBH, and 3 neutral. (Moreso on the Quartz-lite layout, with 11 LHBH, 5 RHBH, and 2 neutral).

Though it's not as severe as the hole count suggests, since the degrees of righty-favoring and lefty-favoring holes vary. Fixing #2 should bring it back in balance.

Goucher College's course was designed by a lefty for a lefty. It's obnoxious flicking on almost every hole.

no course should be designed with a particular thrower in mind... they should be balanced and approachable by either lefties or righties.

Luther Britt is the most friendly lefty course I've ever seen.

There are plenty of courses I think are easier for lefties, but nothing is close to Luther Britt.

Withrop Gold might be second on the list.

I love this thread!

Winthrop Gold (excluding #10 trying to throw an controlled turnover into a headwind with a mando and OB close by) is pretty darn lefty favorable. I'd score well there if I could throw a controlled 425' (instead of a spastic 375'). 2 thru 5 definitely help to have the disc finishing right. 888 is much easier for a lefty. 16-18 is easier for a lefty.

Luther Britt looks like fun. Next time I'm off to the beach I'll have to give it a try.

Brookside is definitely lefty friendly (and home of my second ace ever on #4). Not a bad course for urban Indiana excluding the neighborhood.

Winget definitely has more holes that turn right than turn left. I'd say it favors a forehander/lefty by a hole or so. Some of those holes that look like LHBH holes but actually are better RHBH Anhyzers (8, 11). The "open" holes of 3 and 14 are tough to 2 for a LHBH due to the tailwind/downhill combo on 3 as a LHBHer throws turnover/anhyzer and the headwind/uphill combo on 14 when needing a big hyzer.

Last edited:
I love this thread!

Winthrop Gold (excluding #10 trying to throw an controlled turnover into a headwind with a mando and OB close by) is pretty darn lefty favorable. I'd score well there if I could throw a controlled 425' (instead of a spastic 375'). 2 thru 5 definitely help to have the disc finishing right. 888 is much easier for a lefty. 16-18 is easier for a lefty.

Hole 10 - lay up to the drop zone then it's a field shot to the pin.

Towne Lake depending on the pin placements can be lefty hyzer shots for 10 holes. the other 8 really just being neutral. most lefty friendly in Dfw

Blue Angel's Palmetto course has a lot of LHBH/RHFH hyzer lines. It's a short enough course not to punish your score if you're strictly RHBH, but you lose a lot of birdie opportunities if that's the case. Controlled turnovers often leave you short.

Brookside in Indianapolis was one I remembered as lefty oriented.

Agreed. My ratings are always significantly higher for tournaments that I play at Brookside compared to everywhere else.

Hole 10 - lay up to the drop zone then it's a field shot to the pin.

Next year I'm gonna have to fool around and see how far I need to get it up the fairway to be able to get realistic throws at the pin. I max out a 375' in decent conditions so I probably have to hit it perfect to get into the landing area from the drop zone. My ability to gauge that distance on that hole is pretty poor the way the fairway goes wide left.

Winthrop #10 is def a tough lefty drive. I've learned to throw to dropzone then throw one across. #15 is also a funky lefty hole. Otherwise a bunch of teebirds and firebirds off the tee.