• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] Legacy's 6th release the RIVAL, its coming

I'd rather throw my QOLF if its a spike hyzer, a big headwind, or over 350' as they go 5-10% further than Rivals for me. I have a few legend rivals that have a decent dome that handle big wind just fine, comparable to brinster teebirds. Don't be afraid of the rival dome, it not only adds stability it also adds gllide. However, I prefer the flatter QOLF for my sidearm and feel its beef fits fine between my firebird and rivals for big wind or tourney days when you never know what you're gonna get.

yeah, i can see that 350' spot. after all, it's all about comfortable power levels. if you push a rival to the max it will probably get close to the QOLF, but the rival will pretty much be for in tight woods and low lines anyway where i will be throwing less than full power. the QOLF and SOLF will be my controlled distance drivers, though the 1.1 SOLF has enough turn out of the box to be an incredibly good woods driver and i do use it often.

good things.

and good to know about the dome.

lulz rival is back in the bag. picked up a 168 gummy, a 173 white icon and a FAF 175 snot yellow with a higher pl.

gstar teebird doesn't know what hit it.

i love the teebird but it was causing bag confusion especially since my newer green gstar is already sorta mangled and couldn't take the power it could like a week ago. plus i found out that gstar sucks in the rain much worse than anything else i've ever thrown. so i went to GGGT and sifted through all their rivals and hit up airborn disc emporium too (might have to go back; cute disc golf girl works there . . . ) just to see what's up.

i checked some rivals with high shoulders as recommended above; they had lower PLH than all of the other rivals. the color was green; perhaps other colors are better.

i think the rival/patriot combo is a better combo than teebird/patriot.

The rival has been treating me well, i have about 8 of them now in various colors, plastics, runs, first runs, etc..

The legend plastic rival i just picked up has awesome grip and flys the same as the pinnacle for me, unfortunately its not the gunmetal ones that people claim are more stable.

I'm throwing the rivals about 350 comfortably.

Overall, im very happy with the consistency of Legacy discs, i haven't found any rivals that are too different from one another which is nice considering the variations i have tested.

Now they need to fill out the lineup!

The main difference I have seen every store I've gone to is that the icon rivals seem to mold up consistently with less shoulder than the pinnacles sometimes have. The icons seem to have less variance. I see flatter pinnacles but I never see domier icons.

The teebird has more distance in it, but I can put the rival out pretty far too so I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. My technique must have gotten better.

Teebirds excel at locking onto a line for a long time where as Rivals will hit more lines including straightish IF released with enough power and finesse. Rivals are my off season winter time CE Eagles substitute but I'm still going to carry a g*teebird for out of the box stable to bridge the gap between my eagles/rivals and my stable to understable QJLSs. I guess I could bag a big domey rival for big headwinds but my 1.2 QOLFs are more reliable and being flatter are easier for me to flick.

The legend plastic rival i just picked up has awesome grip and flys the same as the pinnacle for me, unfortunately its not the gunmetal ones that people claim are more stable.

Now they need to fill out the lineup!

I've got a couple gunmetal legends and I'd say they're a half tick more overstable than my flat blue pinnacle first runs... their color aint great:gross: I've found they end up in about the same place as they don't skip like the pinnacles do.

Now they need to fill out the lineup... with production Legend!

How are the Icon Rivals (wt., color?) flying and holding up compared to pinnacle and or legend?

lulz rival is back in the bag. picked up a 168 gummy, a 173 white icon and a FAF 175 snot yellow with a higher pl.

gstar teebird doesn't know what hit it.

i love the teebird but it was causing bag confusion especially since my newer green gstar is already sorta mangled and couldn't take the power it could like a week ago. plus i found out that gstar sucks in the rain much worse than anything else i've ever thrown. so i went to GGGT and sifted through all their rivals and hit up airborn disc emporium too (might have to go back; cute disc golf girl works there . . . ) just to see what's up.

i checked some rivals with high shoulders as recommended above; they had lower PLH than all of the other rivals. the color was green; perhaps other colors are better.

Important part of the post in red. :p

I havent been able to find a legend rival as os as my two faf pinnacle rivals. All 5 of my legend ones have some turn.

I had posted in the Love o Legacy thread about the Rival but figured I'd bring the conversation here.

My first Rival is a 171 Pinn. Snot yellow and puddle topped.

Well my sample size has grown. I now have 2 FAF Pinns at 173 Carolina blue and 175 pink, and a 1st run Icon.

The Icon has the highest PLH of my group. Very similar to a Brinster 'bird PLH. The Rival isn't as beefy but it's close. Similar line to the heavy Pinn but with less glide and more of a dump fade. A nice bookend Rival for sure. For me its 7/4.5/0/3

The flat Pinns are nice. Very similar to the lines I use my JL Champ TBs for. Similar PLH to a good TB also. Haven't throw them side by side but they are the closest I've tried between MVP, Trilogy, and now Legacy. Can't wait to beat in one of these. Very true to the flight numbers.

That leaves the puddle top. I love this thing. For me the flight is between a Eagle and DX TB. A little turn, tons of glide and a light finish. Lowest PLH of the group. If my other Rivals beat into this I will be a happy camper. My other Pinns are line holders, this guy is a line shaper. 7/6/-.5/2.

These things are a blast to throw. I like the slightly deeper hand feel. I think the Rival might be a keeper.

I just purchased a couple of used discs, included was a Excel Rival. This was the first one I had seen. On the Legacy website, it says the Rival is only made in Icon and Pinnicle. Was there just a short run of Excel Rivals??

From what i understand they are part of the Legacy starter pack? I have never seen them for sale anywhere..

Picked up a new Rival today. 174 Icon in a nice dark greenish-blue. Flat, high PLH.

First throw was a FH line at about 325'. Tight gap, low ceiling and slightly up hill. Smashed chains. First Rival ace and only one this year so far.

These things rock. They make me look like I know what I'm doing. I don't really miss my TBs. Glide of a DX Leo but the stability between a TB and Eagle. Really remind me of a slower but seasoned SPD.

Last edited:
Picked up a new Rival today. 174 Icon in a nice dark greenish-blue. Flat, high PLH.

First throw was a FH line at about 325'. Tight gap, low ceiling and slightly up hill. Smashed chains. First Rival ace and only one this year so far.

These things rock. They make me look like I know what I'm doing. I don't really miss my TBs. Glide of a DX Leo but the stability between a TB and Eagle. Really remind me of a slower but seasoned SPD.

:hfive: nice!

Similar thing happened to me with a fresh Legend Silver Rival on a hole about the same distance, it wasnt the first throw but the first round with it in the bag.

Ever since i have kept a couple Silver Legends in the bag, have a huge stack from the same run/weight/color now too so i never run out.

The rival is super predictable, pairs well with the blue/aqua pinnacles too.