• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Let's talk Overhand...

I think you're on to something with 150 class FBs.
I was using near max FBs and not liking it. XXX weight doesn't seem to be as much of an issue.
Also, I want to try a Kastaplast Rask sometime if I can get my hands on one.

Too bad there's no air stiletto.

I have just started using overheads shots. So far my results have been best with a 168g Opto XXX. If I were to buy a Flick exclusively for overhead shots, would you all recomend a light disc in the 150 class or something heavier? I saw light discs mentioned earlier in this thread. It would seem to me that if overstable discs are preferred for overheads that this would mean heavier discs would be better as well. Is this wrong?

Thanks

^Accuracy and placement are more consistent with heavier discs, but you'll get more overall distance out of the 150class.

I don't often throw an actual tomahawk, but the thumber comes out a few times a round, and is almost exclusively for 'get out of trouble' shots.

I have been using pre-kenny star wraiths for this shot forever (RHBH) and have been looking for a disc to replace the wraith, as they are getting more difficult to find.

^ESP Surge. I bagged the 2x Nate Doss ones for years (hot pink!) and have only thrown more overhand shots with the Banshee and Drone. Surge comes in third, the other two have been in my bag for a combined decade easily.

Tim,
Go to the Aerobie web site and look at the short videos there (of throwing thumbers and tomahawks).
Even though I did it for the Epic (and explain the flights if it), the body positioning is the same for all OH throws no matter what disc you use.

HyzerUni:
Let me suggest that you 'follow after' your shot more. You seem to be pulling down (collapsing your chest) a bit too much instead of "following after" the disc...sort of like wanting to fly directly in its wake. Don't worry, you won't...gravity WILL bring you back to earth very quickly ;) .

Thanks Nate!!!!

^ESP Surge. I bagged the 2x Nate Doss ones for years (hot pink!) and have only thrown more overhand shots with the Banshee and Drone. Surge comes in third, the other two have been in my bag for a combined decade easily.

I'll have to give that a shot. I believe the only Discraft I own right now are a few zones and a couple buzzz's. ESP Surge, huh?

NcsSe90.gif

Dug this out of an ancient shwebby interview.

Screen capped the 2 best shots - he gets a fantastic vertical release, which I'm struggling with... seems like tilting the spine out to the left allows the arm to come over more vertical?

I am a moron and played some dodgeball so my shoulder is all messed up, but I definitely tilted a bit left like that to get a vertical release, and I can throw thumber about half as far as Schweb so I know what I'm talking about.

@HyzerUniBomber: I REALLY like that GIF you posted up, I'll have to try that the next time I'm out practicing. :thmbup:

Edit: After a few practices with just my run up, I noticed I tend to just shift my spine and weight back, and not AT ALL to the left. I'm going to have to do some tweaking.

I throw overhand for more than get out of trouble shots. I throw a lot more tomahawk than I do thumber. I like to throw overhand for a lot of my approach shots. If I want accuracy I use a Champion Teebird. If I want distance I go Sexton Glow Champion Firebird. I prefer my overhand discs max weight so they don't flip as fast as a lighter disc. Also so they aren't as effected by the wind, considering overhand shots are already influenced by the wind more than other throwing techniques. I'm very interested in trying a 150 Class Champion Firebird though, I'm sure they bomb..

NcsSe90.gif

Dug this out of an ancient shwebby interview.

Screen capped the 2 best shots - he gets a fantastic vertical release, which I'm struggling with... seems like tilting the spine out to the left allows the arm to come over more vertical?

If you watch Schwebby for any length of time (I've been playing with Scwheb since 2001 and have had my mind blown by the way he works the thing more times than I can count), you'll realize that he releases the disc vertically when there's a high ceiling AND he's going for distance. Otherwise, the angle of release, the angle of his arm, and his posture is dictated by the shape of the shot he's trying to execute INCLUDING WHAT HE WANTS IT TO DO WHEN IT HITS THE GROUND (stop, bouncem skip, roll, etc.):

2lwt4ie.jpg

o724ae.jpg

2daxdht.jpg

33kq4it.jpg

(Several other thumbers in this vid as well.)

Tilt of the spine on distance thumbers is probably a carryover from tennis mechanics (he was a scholarship player at Campbell Univ) rather than a conscious effort to allow the arm to come through more vertically.

I keep more than 1 firebird in my bag for thumbers - a 168 with a little dome and a 156 flat. The 168 is for thumbers in tight windows because it pans right-to-left much less and if i need to make a tight gap in the woods and finish a little right i pick that one up. The drawback of course is that i get less distance because the longer is pans out to the left the farther it goes so i carry the 156 for shots where i have more room to work and need more distance. The 168 goes 260-270 for me and the 156 i can get out to 315 or so. not massive but respectable.

Hmmm ... not sure why the youtube vids didn't embed.

Anyhoo, search for "Brian Schweberger Killer Thumber," "Brian Schweberger Buckhorn #17" and "2013 US Masters Championship" on youtube for the vids.

Good thread. Ty HUB for the gif. Gifs make my life easier.

Going to try these things out.

Im actually pretty darn good at thumbers,i realized recently, and started practicing with them to condition the shoulder.

Id like more distance and will be trying out this stuff. Prolly max out at about 270 with thumber, my tomahawk goes further when i work it right but alot of times it wont pan and become a roller. Im getting it to flip more often then not id say, but my faf firebird i use for thumbers doesnt always work for tomahawks. When i do it right it bombs but i get better results(more constient) using my OS destroyer i bag for wind, flexing and maybe skips sometimes BH. I always figured im using too stable of a disc/ bad mechanics/ to vertical for my power.

Thanks Coupe! Great insight.

What my trial and error have shown is that the angle of release going from vert | to angled / is how you adjust the amount of distance you get before the disc breaks back to the right. More Vertical = longer flight before right break.

By throwing "/" you saw off the amount of flex the disc will do, which is a fantastic tool for adjusting where the disc will break.

Throwing understable discs like roadrunner, I get a much shorter flight, with a harder right break.

I have to say, I really enjoy the thumber flight. It's gorgeous and almost like a swallow playing in air currents. Absolutely love it. Tommy's for what ever reason put serious torque on my elbow, either from mis-use or bad form. I am staying away from the tomahawk.