• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Lid Lovers

I put the ol' R-Pro back in the bag for short touchy shots. It's mostly for shots I think I'll overshoot my with my Stingray. Which is very easy to do.

It's not very stable anymore, but I think it's a bit more stable than my Stingray. Which isn't saying much. My Voodoo isn't beating in. Not that I'm trying to hard to beat it.

Anybody check out the new lil Wizard? I have one coming in a few days, apparently they feel just like a polecat. See the pic of a Lil Wiz inside of a regular Wizard! Max weight is 105g

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 9.11.29 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 9.11.29 AM.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 9.15.24 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 9.15.24 AM.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 71
Anybody check out the new lil Wizard? I have one coming in a few days, apparently they feel just like a polecat. See the pic of a Lil Wiz inside of a regular Wizard! Max weight is 105g

These are pretty much like mini Polecats.

Interesting opportunity here....
Now that I've played around with some Lids and have seen how well Dave can mold them up, I'm seriously considering developing a Polecat like disc for RDG.
I'd imagine a Fossil plastic Lid would be pretty gnarly. Thoughts there?

Now that I've played around with some Lids and have seen how well Dave can mold them up, I'm seriously considering developing a Polecat like disc for RDG.

Yes please!!! There are several of us on here that are screaming for new lidlike molds, and for them to be run in multiple plastics, including premium blends.

I would recommend you pick up a Salient Lock Jaw or Yikun Claws to get a look at a more "modern" interpretation of the lidlike mold. Just please, whatever you do, make them flat and in a plastic that can withstand some tree hits.

I would recommend you pick up a Salient Lock Jaw or Yikun Claws to get a look at a more "modern" interpretation of the lidlike mold. Just please, whatever you do, make them flat and in a plastic that can withstand some tree hits.

I've tried it and I like it a lot. That is another reason that I am considering it. As you might have seen, RDG and Salient are teaming up for some new molds this year and I've also talked with Chris about fronting the money to run a fundraiser batch of liquid metal Lock Jaws.

I do think however that Lids were meant to be ran in baseline so I think that Fossil Lids would combine the grip of baseline with a much superior resiliency to damage. Picture this.... old school KC feeling Lids to cycle :thmbup:

I've never thrown lids really but from everything I hear on here about them I'd be so down to pick up a Fossil lid. So quick. I've talked to Koda a few times about different discs (it seems our game and distances are very similar) etc and the polecat was one of them. I've really been wanting to test out a lid, most likely the pc, but I'd love to give my money to RDG.

I've tried it and I like it a lot. That is another reason that I am considering it. As you might have seen, RDG and Salient are teaming up for some new molds this year and I've also talked with Chris about fronting the money to run a fundraiser batch of liquid metal Lock Jaws.

I do think however that Lids were meant to be ran in baseline so I think that Fossil Lids would combine the grip of baseline with a much superior resiliency to damage. Picture this.... old school KC feeling Lids to cycle :thmbup:

I did see that, and I think it was a good choice, despite what the haters here say. If you fund those Lock Jaws, ten of them will be going to me (initially). I've been begging Chris (mostly through Scott) to run them since throwing my first Karbon. I even started a petition in the Salient FB group. If the run minimum was lower, I would've funded them myself.

While I benched my Champ Polecat to go back to my DX, I still contend that they could benefit from the extra durability a premium plastic provides (went back to the Polecat because the Karbon blend for the LJs is pretty fragile). The Liquid Metal molds I've thrown have been pretty glidey so I'm not super worried about it producing bricks like the Champ Birdie I have.

That's not to say I wouldn't be happy to see a more durable baseline blend and really like the Fossil Scale I have. They should make some beautiful beefy (and durable) LJs. I still want a premium option also, though. :D

I'm a Polecat convert (frickin' tbird :D) and you can put me on the list of interested parties for whatever you come up with. :thmbup:

If you can make a polecat clone in gateway plastic I will have to sell my entire bag, plz don't.

Gateway base to me is premium. It's just too good.

I'm a Polecat convert (frickin' tbird :D) and you can put me on the list of interested parties for whatever you come up with. :thmbup:

WTF? How have I not seen this thread?

Lids. Love 'em. Been carrying a DX Polecat inside a DX or Blizz Zephyr around for months. They are my two most fun discs, and when I'm in a rut I just take those two. I don't normally putt with them though.

Jamie, please give us a RDG Fossil lid. Please. Pretty please. Please.

I'm also really stoked on the Big Dog that Gateway has just produced, although it's a giant fastback. Can't wait to get my hands on one (anyone know how?).

Finally, and this is going to potentially sound a little crazy: UB/Hand Candy Lex. It is very lid-like. Perfectly flat top with a square shoulder. Good firm baseline plastic. The bottom edge tapers in a bit, but (once you sand off the terrible flashing) you get a lid-like flight with a little less glide and little more overstability. Like an Envy and Polecat had a baby. I just bought a stack and there is a good chance they replace BOTH my Envy and Polecat (for everyday use -- nothing will replace my polecats for fun rounds) for driving and approach duties.

whats the benefit of a "lid" like a polecat when most low speed putters can shape the same lines? To me lids like a polecat are herder to throw, which leads to inconsistency.

I love my Rattler. What's the Polecat do differently?

The Polecat is shallower and just feels better in my hand than the Rattler. Pro-D Rat and DX Kitty produce a pretty similar flight for me. R-Pro Kitties are more stable start to finish so you have a laser (with no DX fade) with no effort right out of the box.

whats the benefit of a "lid" like a polecat when most low speed putters can shape the same lines? To me lids like a polecat are herder to throw, which leads to inconsistency.

Harder to throw, over the long run, leads to greater consistency across your entire game. Slowing things down and learning to throw lids is one of the best favors you could do yourself. Still, I don't think they're "harder" to throw than any slow neutral disc. And they're considerably more fun.

Harder to throw, over the long run, leads to greater consistency across your entire game. Slowing things down and learning to throw lids is one of the best favors you could do yourself. Still, I don't think they're "harder" to throw than any slow neutral disc. And they're considerably more fun.

Fun is key for me here too ;)

After throwing some shots with the "Big Dog" I'm pretty sold on making one of these happen. I love the Sonic and now have had a lot of fun bending the Lock Jaw on odd angle putts in my basement.

When is this "Big Dog" going to be available to purchase? If there's a new lidlike mold on the market, I want it!

The Big Dogs aren't really out in the wild yet, are the Jamie?

I'm not sure. Dave just gave me one last time I was at the shop. They're cool but too big for most golfers IMO. It's a great golf disc but I think it will be deemed to large of a diameter by most folks.