• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Lid Lovers

So are we talking Bite or Zephyr size? Do you know if he's going to seek PDGA approval? It was a serious bummer that Lat didn't approve the Bite. I know it's a dog disc, but it's a great flyer.

So are we talking Bite or Zephyr size? Do you know if he's going to seek PDGA approval?

Dave said they are going to get it approved yeah.

I'm not sure. I know I can fit a wizard inside of it so it's definitely a large disc.
It is also pretty deep so it has some nice glide and stability. It'll even hook up on an approach shot. Dave and I were playing catch with it in the shop at about 100 ft. and it was really really easy to throw it where I wanted. Dave also broke out some really nice forehand tosses to me. Its a sick disc. When he started telling me about his new line of lids I was skeptical but once I started seeing these discs I was sold. I texted him yesterday and already starting discussing plans for our own Lid lol.

I have some of the new Gateway lid discs coming my way. Can't wait to throw them and give you guys my impression.

Can't wait to hear what you think.

Dave said they are going to get it approved yeah.

I'm not sure. I know I can fit a wizard inside of it so it's definitely a large disc.
It is also pretty deep so it has some nice glide and stability. It'll even hook up on an approach shot. Dave and I were playing catch with it in the shop at about 100 ft. and it was really really easy to throw it where I wanted. Dave also broke out some really nice forehand tosses to me. Its a sick disc. When he started telling me about his new line of lids I was skeptical but once I started seeing these discs I was sold. I texted him yesterday and already starting discussing plans for our own Lid lol.

Thank you for sharing the info you have. I can't wait to see what Dave (and you guys at RDG) produces! I'm not a huge Facebook fan, but I may have to see if I can't find one out in the wild for sale.

Harder to throw, over the long run, leads to greater consistency across your entire game. Slowing things down and learning to throw lids is one of the best favors you could do yourself. Still, I don't think they're "harder" to throw than any slow neutral disc. And they're considerably more fun.

yea maybe harder is the wrong word, but when i grip a polecat or any variant of the lids its so much different from everything i dont see how it would help me, i will stick with my clutch for this role, but i can see how throwing an awkward shaped slow disc might help people with certain things like lowering the amount of OAT your form produces, etc..

I power grip the hell out of lids like a polecat and don't even think twice about it. I would say they are easier to throw though if anything. The polecat is much more forgiving than any US putter I have ever driven at full power.

Thank you for sharing the info you have. I can't wait to see what Dave (and you guys at RDG) produces! I'm not a huge Facebook fan, but I may have to see if I can't find one out in the wild for sale.

There've been a few here and there on some of the auction sites. Too few to see any sell at reasonable prices.

Dave messaged me that Gateway would do a Facebook special at some point soon, but wouldn't give any specifics.

A DX Polecat can take really any amount of power you can put into it. Flies great and it's stable. I could absolutely take it out of my bag and sub in a regular putter, but it's just more fun to me to throw the Polecat.
Also, most people don't go "WTF was that?!?!" when I throw a traditional putter. Sometimes they do with the Polecat. Or, "Is that a F*&%$^%* Polecat?" I like either response. :)

Anyway, keep us updated on the RDG stuff. Love to check something out if you can make it happen.

I agree that the Polecat will eat up power, but it will track on the release angle, so it is sensitive to that.
I don't think lids generally will eat up power the way most discs people throw, or even a Polecat will though. Do you, collective brain?

I love my Rattler. What's the Polecat do differently?
Rattler is more deep dish so it feels a little slower than a PC, takes a little more oomph to get it going. Rattler has a bit more stability IMO.

whats the benefit of a "lid" like a polecat when most low speed putters can shape the same lines? To me lids like a polecat are herder to throw, which leads to inconsistency.
Most low speed putters cannot shape the same lines, not without great difficulty at least. Way easier to throw air-bounces and elevator shots with a lid and practically effortless to throw shots that finish dead straight. The completely blunt rims of most lids are nice for approaching fast greens b/c they put on brakes instead of skipping and won't catch edge and roll as bad.

I agree that the Polecat will eat up power, but it will track on the release angle, so it is sensitive to that.
I don't think lids generally will eat up power the way most discs people throw, or even a Polecat will though. Do you, collective brain?
Most people throw with lots of OAT or throw low lines b/c they're used to throwing drivers or fast mids like a Buzzz. Lids will take power rips fine as long as you give them plenty of clean hyzer and height.

whats the benefit of a "lid" like a polecat when most low speed putters can shape the same lines? To me lids like a polecat are herder to throw, which leads to inconsistency.

Maybe you suck.

:D

Polecats are comfy for me, more comfy than any other disc I throw. No hyzer required if you get a good one, it will even fade a bit.

Last edited:
I highly suggest everyone try a Yikun Claws if they haven't already. It has a little more all around stability than a Polecat while still maintaining true lid properties. It shapes lines excellently and the biggest benefit, for me anyways, is that I can trust it at height and into the wind (not a strong headwind, obviously.)

It does have "rings of Hedrick" on the top but it's not a fastback style disc I.e. Sonic/SuperHero. One note: while the Claws can handle more power than a Polecat or Rattler, it's still a lid and will get squirrely if not throw properly.. a great finesse disc, and I prefer it to the Polecat.

How do you find a "good" one? I've never thrown one.

you don't really have to find them. mostly they're good, but there are also a decent amount that will have some turn out of the box which i do not like. that's how i define "good" since i can always beat up a polecat to flip. i'd rather have something with a good amount of hss.

my superstitious side coming out again, i haven't ever bought a max weight white PC with any turn out of the box. the pinks and the blues and yellows i frequently buy will give me a disappointing result every once in a while. one of my blues is the flippiest disc in the world, which actually made me quite happy - saves time. but that "in between" phase? i don't really have much use for it out of the box. seasoning polecats is pretty easy.

Last edited:
This thread has only convinced me more that a Fossil lid needs to occur in the near future....

Scales for all OS shots
Serps for all traditional putter shots
"Insert Name Here" for cool Lid shots...

Anyone have details on Gateway's "catch disc" they released? Is this more Ultimate Frisbee style or more Superclass in nature? I feel like it will be lid-like for sure...it would be great if it's PDGA legal!

Anyone have details on Gateway's "catch disc" they released? Is this more Ultimate Frisbee style or more Superclass in nature? I feel like it will be lid-like for sure...it would be great if it's PDGA legal!

That is the "Big Dog" that we've been talking about. It will be PDGA approved :thmbup:

It is much more like a Superclass golf disc than an ultimate disc.