• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Lid Lovers

Any thoughts on the Gstar? Are they worth the money? Sounds like good ol DX is the way to go.

I like my GStar a lot. It sure seems more durable then DX. It is my main upshot disc. Not much difference in flight.

I have a 150G birdie and like the flight. Is the flight of a polecat much different and in what way if so?
I can let you try one out one of these days. I'm pretty sure I have a 165g one.

I've heard (probably on here - and probably from 3P) the Birdie is actually a renamed Piranha. I've never thrown any iteration of the Piranha to know if they're similar or not. If it's true, they made a very poor choice keeping the Birdie name.

Any idea about the really old pre-thumbtrack birdies that pop up every once in a while? Are those pretty much just polecats? This could get confusing. :confused:

Pre thumb-track birdies seem to have a big dome, are slower and glide a bit more. The comparison is between a premie polecat and premie birdie.

Has there been any talk of this disc yet?

galaxy-satellite-side.png

galaxy-satellite-front.png

link to new companys website

Any idea about the really old pre-thumbtrack birdies that pop up every once in a while? Are those pretty much just polecats? This could get confusing. :confused:

I haven't thrown an Aviar top Birdie, sorry. The only ones I have are preemies anyway.

Has there been any talk of this disc yet?

galaxy-satellite-side.png

galaxy-satellite-front.png

link to new companys website

It looks like the Yikun Claws/Salient Lock Jaw. Same looking light blue plastic too. No idea about actual specifics though.

It looks like the Yikun Claws/Salient Lock Jaw. Same looking light blue plastic too. No idea about actual specifics though.

Thats what I was thinking about the mold. I wonder if this company bought some salient molds?

That wouldn't be a bad idea with that mold (technically it's Yikun's mold). If the plastic they designed the mold to use wasn't so fragile, this is a great overstable lid. Polecat-X-ish if that makes any sense. It's also got a weird inner rim, but it doesn't impact grip. I didn't notice it after a couple rounds.

It wasn't Salients mold, but it is a good one!

Judging by the color shape and rings, it's a lockjaw/claws that Yikun has white labeled for someone. The Claws/Wings/View have never been done with any tooling so they could do that for people.

If that's what it is, it's a great flyer in less than awesome(durability wise) plastic.

Actually, after seeing the site, it looks like
Someone has rebadged the entire Yikun line under a new name. Perhaps to attempt to appeal to a broader audience.

Yukin seems to have been selling their molds under different brands like this a lot lately. I noticed some on amazon with the same tooling.

Came home to find 2 g* Polecats waiting for me. They feel pretty great, a hair too soft for my liking, but I have high hopes. The DX polecat has done me right thus far and I'm hoping I can count on these to be comparable without the worry of killing them on a tree hit in the woods.

Came home to find 2 g* Polecats waiting for me. They feel pretty great, a hair too soft for my liking, but I have high hopes. The DX polecat has done me right thus far and I'm hoping I can count on these to be comparable without the worry of killing them on a tree hit in the woods.

So... Hows are they flying?

I replaced my DX polecats with Gstar. For me the flight is identical and the plastic feels great. I've hit metal/parked on so many 75-100 foot approaches with this disc that it's taken over almost every shot from that distance.

God damnit fine.

I'll be going to gotta go gotta throw and if they have gstar polecats I'll buy at least 2.

I still think I'm gonna stick to my superhero/bb aviar combo though. *grumbles about messing with his bag*

My buddy tagged me in a fb photo. He's holding a gstar polecat and the sleeves with flight charts on the front and the floor remind me an aaaaaaawful lot of gggt. They can only be gotten via pro shop. I'm assuming gggt bought some since he never throws polecats.

I wonder if a Polecat can replace my beat and warped R-Pro Rhyno? It is my get out of jail disc as well as a fairly useful through the woods disc. I want to replace the Rhyno with a new one as mine is white but I don't want to beat the carp out of one to get it to how mine is now. When I saw a Birdie (165+ and PFN) for 5 bucks I couldn't resist. I thought it would replace the Rhyno but it was too stable and it was also white. I basically want a stable/slightly understable lid that will float but still be able to hold an anny line. Flickablity and a soft plastic are bonuses.

Now that the DGCR mold is being discussed, everyone seems to talk about lids. Unfortunately, I'm still puzzled: What is a lid? ;-)

Okay, I know now that the Polecat is a lid, but why? Because of the special rim shape? But the Aero seems to be a lid too and has a ``normal'' rim shape. So is it just that the disc goes straight? Not very convincing, as a lot of putters go straight. I seem to miss some crucial clue. Maybe some Ultimate culture stuff.

It would be great if you could explain what a lid is, how it would be defined, and maybe where the name comes from.