• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Lid Lovers

yikes. sorry this has gone unanswered for so long. i'm not old school but i'll give it my best shot. an old school would probably tell you that the only lid is a lid and we disc golfers have misappropriated the term - for example, ultrastar or a zephyr are lids - actual frisbee-type discs.

i'd say if we are to define by key characteristics, a lid is traditionally tall, typically wider-diameter, with an extremely blunt leading edge, approaching the point of vertical. a lid's flight is usually glidey and controllable at even very short distances, similar to an actual frisbee.

an aero does have a lid-like flight but it is not a lid.

a birdie is a "lid" by disc golf standards but doesn't have a lid-like flight. neither does a 175g polecat until it's beaten up a bit. the rattler would also be a lid as far as disc golf is concerned. there aren't many "discs" that are also "lids" in current production.

Last edited:
Kodachrome gave a great answer.

I was thinking about how to answer your question but the more I thought the harder it was to answer.
In general I'd say a non-bevel edge disc is a lid. This is what made Dave Dunipace's golf discs different from the Frisbees that were available at the time. When I clump golf discs under the "lid" moniker I am referring to non-beveled edge, slow, neutral discs. I think most of DGCR infers the same things when they say lid. Although some are quick to drop the beveled-edge criteria.

Lids *tend to be* slow, floaty and neutral which is why we describe discs like the Comet as "lid-like." Some lids are not slow, floaty or neutral. Discraft SkyStylers are decently overstable and are comparatively glideless because they are designed to be freestyle discs. And some lids are faster... not Teebird fast but may be Aviar fast. Golf discs are even more varied. But I can't categorize a golf disc as a lid solely because of the flight path. I love The Comet's ability to mimic a lid but that doesn't make it a true lid. Aeros are in the same boat as Comets. On the flip side of the coin, I love the overstability of the Skystyler but that doesn't make it a true golf disc.

I know I muddied the waters, sorry about that.

well that's how I was originally going to answer Meillo.
Polecat is a perfect example.
But it falls apart when you start talking about Sonics, UltraStars, etc... those don't look like they belong on the top of a jar of peanut butter :)

well that's how I was originally going to answer Meillo.
Glad you did not. Such explanations first have to cross the language barrier and then the cultural barrier. What is common in the US might not be common in other parts of the world. (Nobody eats peanut butter here. ;-) ) I do value your effort, chevis, though the more technical explanations helped me more than your picture. Only now, that I understood it technically, I can follow and understand your picture.

Glad you did not. Such explanations first have to cross the language barrier and then the cultural barrier. What is common in the US might not be common in other parts of the world. (Nobody eats peanut butter here. ;-) ) I do value your effort, chevis, though the more technical explanations helped me more than your picture. Only now, that I understood it technically, I can follow and understand your picture.

Oh go eat a Nutella and cheese sandwich already.

No peanut butter in Germany? Sign me up!

Stripper kitty! Finally put my nate sexton signed dx 175 in the bag. I used it in place of a dx rhyno for upshots. I warm up by playing catch with a makani from 100-120. I thought i would defanboy and pull this gem out of the ziplock. Holy smokes. It was like playing catch with the basket. I purchased another directly after. Do they still make the lighter weights?

Do they still make the lighter weights?
I'm not sure which disc you're asking about.

Makanis only come in one weight.
Polecats are regularly in stock from 140g-175g. Its also not unusual to see them as light as 100g.

I'm in the middle of research for the DGCR lid so... a question for all you lid-lovers in this thread:
what is your favorite lid and what weight do you usually throw?

For me:
disc golf
Polecat, 150g

one disc rounds/other
UltraStar, 175g or Makani/Zephyr, 140g - 150g

For DG it's easily the Dragon Line Claws from Yikun. That's their very durable Star like plastic that has some shimmer. It's decently Overstable and flicks well, and some it has some dome it floats well.

For catch 160 RPro Polecat. Nice and soft for catching, just stable enough that the wind on the beach won't kill it.

Last edited:
Disc golf putting and tricky shots- Polecat 150g
Straight, short drives and turnover approach shots- 170g Polecat

Single disc rounds- Polecat 170g

Catch disc- Ultrastar 175g (although the Lil Wizard is fun too)

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

DX/XT Polecat at a plump 175 grams.

Besides Polecats, I have thrown:
Birdies
Gophers
Sonics
Superheros
Rattlers
Whittl'rs
Zephyrs
Makanis
Doggystyles

Last edited:
DX/XT Polecat at a plump 175 grams.

Me too. Maybe it's because I tend to throw more forehand than backhand, but I decided to go with a heavier weight. Not sure I'll ever try a lighter Kitty. As far as molds, I also haven't tried many lids, but I haven't seen a need to try anything else.

Me too. Maybe it's because I tend to throw more forehand than backhand, but I decided to go with a heavier weight. Not sure I'll ever try a lighter Kitty. As far as molds, I also haven't tried many lids, but I haven't seen a need to try anything else.

I've thrown them at ~100g, 150g, and 175g. Don't discount the lighter weights. Just focus on a clean wrist snap. You won't even really have to use much arm with them.

I've thrown them at ~100g, 150g, and 175g. Don't discount the lighter weights. Just focus on a clean wrist snap. You won't even really have to use much arm with them.

This is true. The lighter ones work extremely well with a little wrist flick. They get wonky when I try to use my arm too.

I've thrown:

Old Birdies
Thumtrac Birdies
Polecats
Sonics
Piranhas
Zephyrs
Rattlers
Super Puppies
Upshots

I bag and throw Upshots. Somewhere between a Polecat and Sonic in stability. Slightly bigger diameter than the small Innova lids, effortless glide. I think the one I throw now is 174g, but I threw a 160g one for a long time.

The best driving lid hands down with no exceptions is the Piranha. Rattlers are also good drivers and I recall that Super Puppies were good drivers but it's been a long time since I've thrown one. Rattlers and Piranhas are a lot different in flight, they are just the two I've had the best luck with throwing from a distance. I really don't use a lid for those shots so I don't bag either one.

This is true. The lighter ones work extremely well with a little wrist flick. They get wonky when I try to use my arm too.

Challenge accepted. I know BrotherDave, and probably others, is always talking about miraculous stuff that a light weight Kitty can pull off.

Challenge accepted. I know BrotherDave, and probably others, is always talking about miraculous stuff that a light weight Kitty can pull off.

When I say wonky when I use my arm, that's on a FH. My FH is not awesome, and I'm trying to rehab my shoulder too, so... well, it's a mess.
The 147g I'm bagging now does great on a backhand throw provided you're not being a torque monkey with it. It's easier to throw a clean backhand than it is to rip a FH with it, but clean, short flicks it works great.