• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Lid Lovers

I learned forehand and still do great with an Ultrastar. So that wrist flick is already my typical MO for forehand non-drives. For backhand, I can still venture into torque monkey land, so it would probably be a good form check.

Just bringing in some more lid love.

Had a couple approach throw-ins last weekend and a short ace with my superhero. Also had a throw-in today.

Really loving my lid. Truly makes the short approach game exciting and also easy-mode even if you miss running the basket, which makes me have a lot more fun, which makes me throw better.

FWIW, this is my favorite topic in this forum. It makes me nostalgic, because I'm a geezer who started out by playing Ultimate in the mid-70s and transitioned to disc golf while still using my Ultimate lid. I miss the challenge of making my lid execute a variety of throws instead of pulling out one of many specialized discs and letting my disc do most of the work.

The ironic thing is that I don't carry any lids today. I've gotta fix that ASAP!!

^^^I'm not sure what the courses are like near you but I have heavily wooded courses. UltraStar rounds are a blast and some of my favorite times on the course!
Heavily recommended

UltraStars are great if you can avoid the trees. Every time I see the Ultimate bros hit a course there's always at least one victim of breaking.

Wow, I've never seen that.
I have had 3 different UltraStars and played at least 100 'Star only rounds.
Maybe I'm just a wuss?
LOL

But seriously, like TKWolverine said... finessing a slow, floaty, neutral lid through a tightly wooded course is more fun to me than lugging a bag full of specialized discs.

O.K., Marmoset, you inspired me to do some one-disc, UltraStar rounds this season. Thanks!

Ultrastar is tons of fun, but its hard enough to get a Zephyr to stay in the basket sometimes.

Wow, I've never seen that.
I have had 3 different UltraStars and played at least 100 'Star only rounds.
Maybe I'm just a wuss?
LOL

But seriously, like TKWolverine said... finessing a slow, floaty, neutral lid through a tightly wooded course is more fun to me than lugging a bag full of specialized discs.

They do tend to hammer them a lot and are usually fueled by a sixer of Shock Top or some other faux craft beer. :D

I think I need some help from y'all Ultimate throwers.
I love the UltraStar (U*). I have no issues getting it to go hyzer/ straight/ neutral... even under 250' of U* power which is about my max D with U*s.

I bought 2 different Pulsars. 1 regular and 1 glow (glow is 180g :cool:). The regular has 5 one-disc rounds on it and a few grudge match rounds against the U* and the Big Kahuna. The glow came in the mail only an hour ago and I field tested it for 15 minutes. The glow is slightly more overstable than the regular and I can get it to hold a hyzer for 200' but it takes a decent wrist-roll-under to achieve that. And even then it looked like it had straightened a little towards the end. Otherwise it will try to hyzer-flip at distances 200'+. I do NOT have this issue with the U*. I use the same modified fan grip for both.

But all the reviews I have heard for the Pulsar say that it is supposed to be more overstable than the U*.

So here's my question:
---Am I doing something wrong? Is that why it is flipping easier than the U*?
---Did Innova change the Pulsar mold to be less overstable compared to the U*?
---Is my U* abnormally overstable?

and out of curiosity, how far can y'all hold a hyzer on your U*s/Pulsars/Frisbee/Ultimate lid of choice?

thanks in advance

P.S. My glow Pulsar came in the same box as 4 DX Aviar3s. Is it weird that I was more excited about the Pulsar? The Aviars didn't even make it out to field practice :D

I wish I could help you. ^

I'm currently having a throw off between the bite and the superhero.

The superhero is an amazing finesse disc and glides like a mofo. The bite is more like a polecat. Very neutral, but doesn't glide nearly as much as the superhero. I'm torn.

I'll need to season up the bite and see if it picks up some glide as it loses stability. Perhaps it will turn into a low speed glide machine that can hold longer lines with more power too.

I'll try to give a video review later or at least include pics.

Suffice to say, I'm not entirely comfortable with how much like a disc the bite flies, which matches my experience a year or so ago. It seems these are pretty consistent. It surprised me initially... It makes sense though, because

1) it has a smaller diameter compared to the superhero.
2) a shorter profile than the superhero
3) much more agressive profile on the rim than the superhero. This frisbee borders on being a beveled edge disc.

It's hss is unreal for a "frisbee," coupled with the low and fast profile. It starts to encroach on putter shots quite a bit. I think it will get better as it beats, which brings up

4) waaaaaay more durable than the superhero because of the low, aggressive profile. Less to warp on the thicker outer rim.

Honestly, the frisbee that reptilian is trying to make may already be here. It's the bite, imo.

Has anyone tried out a super light (100~g) dx polecat? I'm intrigued by the idea and kind of want to put one in my innova pro shop order

Cool thread! My fave lid is the old Super Puppy. Slow, floaty, and dead straight approaches. Takes a lot of finesse to get it to work, but it's worth it.

So I have come to realize that unless there is a heavy wind if I am under 150 ft there is no point in reaching for anything other then a 150g Polecat. Annys, hyzers, forehands, overhands, BH rollers, putts the Polecat does it all. Only time I reach for something else is if I need a forehand roller or a stupid amount of fade or there is a headwind then cue Scale, Zone or Stego depending on the situation

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

So I have come to realize that unless there is a heavy wind if I am under 150 ft there is no point in reaching for anything other then a 150g Polecat. Annys, hyzers, forehands, overhands, BH rollers, putts the Polecat does it all. Only time I reach for something else is if I need a forehand roller or a stupid amount of fade or there is a headwind then cue Scale, Zone or Stego depending on the situation

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Realtalk here.

You and i have similar taste....try an opto bite. It will....WILL replace your polecat under 200'.