• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lids/Catch Discs

I have been thinkin about this lately... I like my zephyr a lot but find myself missing the jaguar my friend lost a few years back.

anyoen know of some jags for sale/trade?

My dad carries a sonic, the closest thing I ever had was a lynx.
I think my 149 shark flew like a lid though.

150g DX Polecat is nice for catch and throw, my 7 year old has been throwing it lately and he's starting to get the hang of it.

I usually have a Te Moko, Ultrastar, or Zephyr in the car to mess around with. Don't have room to keep it in my bag though with a condor in there.

I go back and forth between a Sonic, Rattler and Polecat in the bag. Usually have a Zephyr and a Supersonic in the truck as well.

I have been rocking the Rattler for a few months now. Great for some upshots and long putts, invaluable for fast greens. I also got a 120g birdie from lion for playing catch.

what do people know about the snap whittler? I have heard praise on DGR but not enough to know anything about it

I play catch with my dx classic aviar. Actually, that's how i found my throw.

They made some gummy champ xds for japan open a while ago, 159grams , they are perfect for catch discs. I can catch from like 200ft and not hurt my hand a bit. Sweet

Although I've never carried either in my bag, I've played a few rounds with one or the other or both a Zephyr or Superhero. Both are great, but I've found that I like playing catch with the SuperHero a bit more. It seems to be a bit less forgiving of form and release issues than the heavier Zephyr I have, and it makes for a little better putter out on the course, it seems.

ULTRASTAR!!!! Ultimate is what introduced me to dg & where my son & I learned to throw plastic. The OKC Ultimate old timers play rounds with 1978-1980 40 molds.

Last Feb I got invited to play dg on the original objective courses in old parks in the city using Ultrastars & a dg course built in 1978 called Will Rogers. We used 40 molds at Will which was really designed around the flight limitations of lids.

I love throwing lids. My 9 yr old son & I still play Ultimate & or catch with lids. My son Forest has great throw & has a great understanding of disc stability. He's more concerned with finding out how many lines he can carve with each disc than how many discs he can put in his bag. Forest has only played 4 tourneys in Jr divisions but has never lost.

Also...Discraft has another Ultrastar mold called a Jr Ultrastar. Weighs 145 grams & is almost identical diameter to the 40 mold with a tad more stability. This is my favorite lid hands down.

Last edited:
I have 3 Ultrastars in my car. Whenever I want to clean up my technique I use an ultrastar first, then move to a comet once I feel clean with the ultrastar. I spent a few hours this week working BH anny lines and I'm already seeing improvement.

I spent a few hours this week working BH anny lines and I'm already seeing improvement.

I also threw the lid a good bit this week, finally found some people that like to throw around. they are much better than I am. but I noticed the same with the BH anny lines. definitely see an improvement already.

ive got a zephyr in the trunk in case we have to wait at the parking lot for somebody to meet us.

Any recommended weight for a Zephyr? Does it even matter?

I'm headed to the beach in about a week and it would be pretty cool to have one for tossing around with my brother in laws. (Both are disc golfers.)