• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lol, already have so many discs for a beginner

I bought a starter pack, lost some, bought a couple extras, traded them, then discovered Innova factory seconds and their free disc friday, so I have more discs than I can throw properly (only started a few months ago). I can;t handle a 12-speed disc, but the Trespass was part of my DD starter set, and the Tern was a freebee with an Innova order.

I discovered https://mydiscbag.com/ and "mapped" my current discs (green), the ones on my Xmas list (yellow) and the ones I have my eye on for the future (orange) when my form improves.

flight-ratings.jpg

I thought that was not a bad mix for a bag that happened randomly/organically

Yes, I have 2x leopard3 because I lost one, replaced it, then found the one I lost. Gets me a chance to compare Star vs Champion plastics.

Discs are addictive. There's always that one more you have to try to see if it works for you. I currently have 173, carry 17 in my bag, and probably only throw 7 of those with any regularity.

Nice bag - you have every shot you need! Now comes the very, very difficult and painful decision: work on your form. Every disc you have will do even more amazing shots as your form improves!

Welcome to the forum!

What Seedlings said. I'd also add, go to a field and see how far each disc goes. Tursas is a 5 speed, but I find it flies as far as my 7 speeds. You can't always count on the flight numbers.

I've been working on my form on a baseball field, because it helps me get a sense far how far each disc goes, I throw from the plate and see how far in the outfield I get. Well, most of the time I barely get to the outfield past the dirt, but I throw from a static position (no run up) for now. It is actually funny to see how I barely go further with my leopard3 than I do with my EMAC Truth except for the occasional time when everything feels right and the leopard3 flies.

I've only thrown the glitch a few times and I'm very inconsistent with it (even for a beginner), something about the lip being very straight but the plastic kinda soft messes up my release. Last time I tried more of a fan grip and it was better. I got it because a couple of friends that have been playing much longer got one and we've been doing "glitch only" rounds. Based on what those more advanced (but far from pros) players can do, I think it will be a good training disc. It highlights any defects in your form without being too punishing. I feel like my forehand is better than my backhand so far, but not with the glitch.

Before I got the glitch I ran some 1-disc rounds with the EMAC Judge and the Tursas and was doing pretty well with the Tursas, it's definitely one of my favorite discs so far.

Definitely get a Champ Mako3. Star will start to turn over, but Champ will go dead straight for 300 feet if you can get it that far. It is also prone to form defects as well, so any little bit of OAT or unintentional hyzer/anhyzer will be immediately apparent. Handy for shaping lines if you find that to be useful.

I bought a starter pack, lost some, bought a couple extras, traded them, then discovered Innova factory seconds and their free disc friday, so I have more discs than I can throw properly (only started a few months ago). I can;t handle a 12-speed disc, but the Trespass was part of my DD starter set, and the Tern was a freebee with an Innova order.

I discovered My Disc Bag and "mapped" my current discs (green), the ones on my Xmas list (yellow) and the ones I have my eye on for the future (orange) when my form improves.

flight-ratings.jpg

I thought that was not a bad mix for a bag that happened randomly/organically

Yes, I have 2x leopard3 because I lost one, replaced it, then found the one I lost. Gets me a chance to compare Star vs Champion plastics.
Welcome fellow newbie, and likely fellow addict. I have been playing 3-4 months, max at 200-225', routinely 175-200', and have over 60 discs and counting. Just yesterday I traded in about 6-7 that I have outgrown (sort of) - sad how little you can get for them at any disc golf shops. A tip as a fellow beginner - that I am really only just beginning to experiment with, and wish I messed with sooner…. Practice field - I was trying to throw every disc flat/level every time. Now realizing I also need to purposely throw them tipped hyzer/anhyzer, a little, then a little more, and see what they do. Best example, I just started using light weight (146g) Innova Mamba, which is too fast for my arm, and thrown level, it crashes right and turns into a roller. But, thrown on the right amount of slight to medium hyzer, it flips up to level, and glides past 200' and becomes my new longest distance disc! Leopard DX was my best disc, but now I throw harder, and thrown flat, it also goes right and turns into a roller (every time). Thought I was done with Leopard. Light bulb moment - I have to go asap and throw it on a slight to medium hyzer - see if I can flip it up to flat, and get more out of it! Gamechanger??? What a great sport - fun, with so much room to grow and improve, yet you can play and have fun at whatever level you are at! Yup - addicted!

If there's a star max or any discraft flashes in there pm me.
To be honest, those might be too new for what most of those discs are.

I played Adv for most of the 90's and won a lot of junk plastic. I also ran a tournament from 1997 to 2011. So there are some left over tournament stamped discs in there and a lot of "lost and found" discs that were never claimed.

To be honest, those might be too new for what most of those discs are.

I played Adv for most of the 90's and won a lot of junk plastic. I also ran a tournament from 1997 to 2011. So there are some left over tournament stamped discs in there and a lot of "lost and found" discs that were never claimed.
That's even cooler you should start a disc hoard thread and post some of your rare and odd ones.

That's even cooler you should start a disc hoard thread and post some of your rare and odd ones.
Worst part, that is not all of them. I built that rack and still have several boxes left over. I have another rack with my current throwers on it.

Welcome fellow newbie, and likely fellow addict. I have been playing 3-4 months, max at 200-225', routinely 175-200', and have over 60 discs and counting. Just yesterday I traded in about 6-7 that I have outgrown (sort of) - sad how little you can get for them at any disc golf shops. A tip as a fellow beginner - that I am really only just beginning to experiment with, and wish I messed with sooner…. Practice field - I was trying to throw every disc flat/level every time. Now realizing I also need to purposely throw them tipped hyzer/anhyzer, a little, then a little more, and see what they do. Best example, I just started using light weight (146g) Innova Mamba, which is too fast for my arm, and thrown level, it crashes right and turns into a roller. But, thrown on the right amount of slight to medium hyzer, it flips up to level, and glides past 200' and becomes my new longest distance disc! Leopard DX was my best disc, but now I throw harder, and thrown flat, it also goes right and turns into a roller (every time). Thought I was done with Leopard. Light bulb moment - I have to go asap and throw it on a slight to medium hyzer - see if I can flip it up to flat, and get more out of it! Gamechanger??? What a great sport - fun, with so much room to grow and improve, yet you can play and have fun at whatever level you are at! Yup - addicted!
See, you're on to something here.....creating more lines with fewer molds. Teaching yourself to reliably manipulate angles is like a cheat code, because you can do so much more with less.

Why is "less" important? In my experience, it's really easy to load up your bag with a lot of discs that overlap each other. Bag makers keep building 'em bigger, and disc manufacturers certainly won't stop you. But if you're anything like I was, you'll soon find yourself faced with a shot, looking down into your bag, and being uncertain about which of 2 or 3 different molds to throw. And uncertainty often leads to not fully committing on the throw. And the rest...is history.

It's really natural these days to experiment with molds, plastics and manufacturers. Have at it. But at some point you might find yourself tired of making too many on-course decisions, fatigued by lugging around 25-30 discs, or broke. When I hit that point, my first move was to grab the discs that I love throwing the most (for example, for me it included the Crave. It just felt like the easiest throwing, most dependable flight). I realized that a couple of Craves - in different plastics and weights - could cover a ton of shots, both BH and FH. Out went the Rhythms and the Volt.

My disc buying has slowed down a lot - but of course it hasn't completely stopped. But every time a "latest best thing" comes out, I can genuinely ask myself what that disc can do that the ones I already have don't do.

See, you're on to something here.....creating more lines with fewer molds. Teaching yourself to reliably manipulate angles is like a cheat code, because you can do so much more with less.

Why is "less" important? In my experience, it's really easy to load up your bag with a lot of discs that overlap each other. Bag makers keep building 'em bigger, and disc manufacturers certainly won't stop you. But if you're anything like I was, you'll soon find yourself faced with a shot, looking down into your bag, and being uncertain about which of 2 or 3 different molds to throw. And uncertainty often leads to not fully committing on the throw. And the rest...is history.

It's really natural these days to experiment with molds, plastics and manufacturers. Have at it. But at some point you might find yourself tired of making too many on-course decisions, fatigued by lugging around 25-30 discs, or broke. When I hit that point, my first move was to grab the discs that I love throwing the most (for example, for me it included the Crave. It just felt like the easiest throwing, most dependable flight). I realized that a couple of Craves - in different plastics and weights - could cover a ton of shots, both BH and FH. Out went the Rhythms and the Volt.

My disc buying has slowed down a lot - but of course it hasn't completely stopped. But every time a "latest best thing" comes out, I can genuinely ask myself what that disc can do that the ones I already have don't do.
To add to this, my game got significantly better when I took a lot of the molds out of my bag years ago, and very slowly added them back in. It also allowed me to experiment with throwing shot shapes I was less comfortable with. Backhand turnovers being the biggest improvement, before I leaned even more heavily on forehands than I do now.

The other huge impact it had for me, was I began doubling/tripling up on the discs that I liked, so I have some that are more worn out than others. And if I lose a disc, it theoretically shouldn't destroy my game the way it did in the past. Though there are some I know I would still have a hard time replacing.

I enjoy browsing discs and shopping for that next great one…. The amount I spend on them is no issue to my budget at all. But, it does bother me having so many that sit around not getting used. I play with a guy that has over 100 discs, and he said every time he plays, he empties his bag, and loads up different discs, such that he circulates them all into use. I was in disbelief! I use them all at times on the practice field, and putters in the back yard, but when I play I carry the ones that are working the best for me. My game day bag changes a bit from time to time, but it mostly remains in tact with my favorites. I can't imagine how much worse I would do if I swapped out every disc every time I played, and used discs I don't really like at all! How do y'all manage what discs go in your game day bag?

Update: my new toy, aka my new longest disc, is a 137g Star Tern. I struggle with throwing it well, but when I do, my new long is 225-245'. 20' further than my next longest discs. Partly the disc - partly me working on my form - I was starting my throw too soon - before my plant foot landed. I ordered two more light weight Star Terns (F2s this time), so I can practice them more easily. Also got a light weight Fission Wave that gets about the same distance as my Mambas, but I can throw it flat - the Mambas require a hyzer throw and flip to flat, but I often struggle to put the right amount of hyzer on them.
Throwing Leopards on hyzer - yes, I can make them work, but I don't see it being something that will get them back into my bag for game day.

I enjoy browsing discs and shopping for that next great one…. The amount I spend on them is no issue to my budget at all. But, it does bother me having so many that sit around not getting used. I play with a guy that has over 100 discs, and he said every time he plays, he empties his bag, and loads up different discs, such that he circulates them all into use. I was in disbelief! I use them all at times on the practice field, and putters in the back yard, but when I play I carry the ones that are working the best for me. My game day bag changes a bit from time to time, but it mostly remains in tact with my favorites. I can't imagine how much worse I would do if I swapped out every disc every time I played, and used discs I don't really like at all! How do y'all manage what discs go in your game day bag?
I know what every disc on my shelf and in my bag does and only introduce one or two new ones at a time and I don't judge them until they are broken in. I can pretty much play any course with a challenger sonic wraith predator wasp quake bag so additional discs just expand what shot shapes I can bust out. I adjust what I'm bagging depending on where I'm playing but I usually still only throw 7-9 molds. I think the newest disc I throw is a fierce otherwise everything else is molds I have years of experience with.

I know what every disc on my shelf and in my bag does and only introduce one or two new ones at a time and I don't judge them until they are broken in. I can pretty much play any course with a challenger sonic wraith predator wasp quake bag so additional discs just expand what shot shapes I can bust out. I adjust what I'm bagging depending on where I'm playing but I usually still only throw 7-9 molds. I think the newest disc I throw is a fierce otherwise everything else is molds I have years of experience with.
How do you like the Fierce, and why? I held one in the store the other day, and looked it up online before placing my order last night. Held myself back because the site I was ordering from only had lighter weights, and $20 and up. I see some cheaper on other sites, and I like my putters heavy.

How do you like the Fierce, and why? I held one in the store the other day, and looked it up online before placing my order last night. Held myself back because the site I was ordering from only had lighter weights, and $20 and up. I see some cheaper on other sites, and I like my putters heavy.
I like it, feels good in the hand and releases clean. I don't putt with it at all I just use it off the tee. It's very understable so it flies basically identical to my sonics except it goes further. I use it for 300ish hyzer flip turnover shots. I only throw the heavy ones I'd imagine the lighter ones are squirrely unless thrown really softly. I threw a couple putts with it and I'm not a fan I like my putters to have some fade.