• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Looking for a new putter

punch

Bogey Member
Looking for a new putter. I currently have a aviar p&a and a rhyno. I recently have been messing around with a condor for approach shot. A lot of those approach shots turned in to basket runs or long putts approx 80ft+. Turns out I am pretty good at spin putting with a condor. What i like about the condor is that it doesn't take much power to get a long floating putt out of it. I am looking for something long and glidey like a condor in a soft plastic. What should I be looking at? I have been thinking of MVP atom, axiom proxy, vibram sole or summit but I am open to any putter.

The MVP and Axioms are glideless so don't go there. From your list I would say Summit.

Atom or Proxy! Electron is a great plastic for a putter for the atom where as the proxy is only in neutron

I'd also say the Summit is great, but if its the spin you like maybe try the Kastaplast Berg in K2 plastic.
I just got a bunch of these today and they are great if you like spin on your putts.
Also very gyroscopic, so they can have the feel of a larger disc in a smaller package.

I've recently went from using Judges to Swans.

I really like the feel of a Swan. Feels like a more grippy and more shallow Magnet. It has the same depth as a Judge so the transition wasn't bad.

Don't let the understable qualities of this disc fool you,it still putts very well in the wind.

I use a fan grip with my finger along side of the rim and I have more of a push/spin type putt.also this disc is by far the easiest disc I have ever used for a straddle putt,I don't use a straddle putt often,but this putter is made for them.Well for me anyways.

Great approach disc too.

You don't see many people using these as a main putter,but this is a overlooked gem of a putter. :thmbup:

If your looking for glide the more understable the putter the better, depending on how you putt. are you a straddle putter, spin putter, the summit is the best putter in medium to soft rubber. i dont think there is a better understable putter on the market that matches the summit.

The MVP and Axioms are glideless so don't go there. From your list I would say Summit.

this is so far from the truth its not even funny. The summit is a great putter with tons of glide but also much more understable.

If you like baseline plastic the atom is a great choice and in lighter weights as well as with a little use the glide isn't an issue at all. Its a lower profile/faster putter not designed like a sonic, lol BirdieMachine just loves to dump on MVP discs.

Proxy is a lot like a premium plastic atom to put it simply. One of my new favorite driving putters of all time and I LOVE to drive putters. Personally I prefer a deeper feeling putter that has a bead for actual putting purposes so I use the ion.

Do you like beads and a deep feel or lower profile and beadles? IMO a 150 class plasma anode sounds like it realllllly is what you are looking for. TONS of glide but very stable and comes in one of the best feeling as well as looking plastics on the market plus great premium durability too.

20150312_201828.jpg

Looking for a new putter. I currently have a aviar p&a and a rhyno. I recently have been messing around with a condor for approach shot. A lot of those approach shots turned in to basket runs or long putts approx 80ft+. Turns out I am pretty good at spin putting with a condor. What i like about the condor is that it doesn't take much power to get a long floating putt out of it. I am looking for something long and glidey like a condor in a soft plastic. What should I be looking at? I have been thinking of MVP atom, axiom proxy, vibram sole or summit but I am open to any putter.

There is not really anything in your list that flies or feels like a Condor. Were you looking for a premium plastic, or baseline?

Despite what Birdie Machine has said, MVP/Axiom putters glide very well.

From your list I would choose the Atom. Electron plastic is grippy, feels great, and sticks to chains very well. You will have no problem running the chains with it. :thmbup:

^ I knew AIM would say Birdie was wrong. :)

I'm currently spin putting. I don't have a preference for bead or not I really don't notice the bead between the rhyno or aviar. I do however have short fingers so I don't like anything deeper than a aviar.

an envy or proxy are worth checking out then. The anode is very much like a aviar but the envy and proxy are unique plus you can get some killer color combos with a lower profile feel. If you really want a softer putter with good overall shape retention/rigity a soft neutron envy is $$. They are not floppy at all, small bead and available in 160g's which glide more at low speeds compared to the max weights-- being a spin putter it shouldn't be a huge issue for you and the rhyno doesn't really glide at all..

Old guy vote for a Discraft APX; it's a nice floaty putter for long putts. It's a touch disc, so you might have to work with it a little to figure it out.

What i like about the condor is that it doesn't take much power to get a long floating putt out of it. I am looking for something long and glidey like a condor in a soft plastic.

Innova Dart. its a very glide-y putter. Its so glide-y that many (like Nate Sexton) use it for midrange duties for up to 300+ feet.

Try out the different plastics, DX and R-Pro will be the softest and have the most glide.

Was in the same boat a couple of weeks: I just switched from an MVP P Anode to Gateway S Voodoo, and I could not be more grateful that I finally did. To me neutron and proton plastic are junk for putters. If you wouldn't buy a star aviar or camp aviar to put with, don't buy MVP. Don't get me wrong, I'm an MVP fan boy, but until they release more in electron, their mid ranges are the only thing worth buying IMO. Part of this is my experience with base plastics getting better glide after worn in, and I putted/drove with my anode for 3 years and it never wore in. Voodoo is glidey, straight and the plastic is scrumptious and delicious, and comes in whatever style of firm you could think of.

My tip: try a voodoo or magic. Go feel one at your local store and you will be sold.

Ps. My voodoos hold great in the wind

Voodoos are cool and all, but your comparison is apples to oranges. Star plastic putters don't have overmolds. My putting Ion grips the chains as well as anything else out there.

This Envy was less than a year old when I threw that shot. Fresh Envy wouldn't hold that straight. They break in.

Old guy vote for a Discraft APX; it's a nice floaty putter for long putts. It's a touch disc, so you might have to work with it a little to figure it out.

That's what I was thinking for someone switching from Aviars looking for glide. I might go with a Reef in D-line, though; same basic mold, but doesn't shrink as much during cooling.

Was in the same boat a couple of weeks: I just switched from an MVP P Anode to Gateway S Voodoo, and I could not be more grateful that I finally did. To me neutron and proton plastic are junk for putters. If you wouldn't buy a star aviar or camp aviar to put with, don't buy MVP. Don't get me wrong, I'm an MVP fan boy, but until they release more in electron, their mid ranges are the only thing worth buying IMO. Part of this is my experience with base plastics getting better glide after worn in, and I putted/drove with my anode for 3 years and it never wore in. Voodoo is glidey, straight and the plastic is scrumptious and delicious, and comes in whatever style of firm you could think of.

My tip: try a voodoo or magic. Go feel one at your local store and you will be sold.

Ps. My voodoos hold great in the wind

So true, Neutron and Proton don't grab chains at all, I would for sure stay away from those not to mention the glide, well there is little compared to other putters.

So true, Neutron and Proton don't grab chains at all, I would for sure stay away from those not to mention the glide, well there is little compared to other putters.

I found this to be far from the case. For starters, you have to find a mold and feel that works for you. I have tried many putters over the last two years and the mold that works for me inside of the circle is the MVP Anode. Within that mold, the plastic that works best for me is the Soft Proton. Neutron is a bit slick for me personally. I have been beating in a new Plasma Anode since it has a similar feeling to the Soft Proton. In the end. Putt with something that gives you confidence and the feel that you like. Then "YOU" will make it work.

Clutch, Magnet, Reef, Swan, APX. With your putting style you may want to experiment with lighter weight putters. Any of the discs I listed in the 168 range will fly more like your Condor than any of the other suggestions on here.

Second the Dart if you want gliddy! I used to use one but the glide was a bit too much for me. I nice compromise for me was the Judge and Yeti, they both have a more predictable glide and to my surprise handle the wind pretty well.

If you're looking for a glidey, neutral putter, I'd try an Anode. One of the reasons I DIDN'T like the MVP putters was because the glide felt uncontrollable at times. I'd rather add extra power and keep the control of a less glidey putter.

Wizards, FTW. Voodoos for something a bit more neutral.

Latest posts