• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Looking for a shallow rimmed mid-range

Gateway makes some really shallow rimmed mids like the Element, Mystic, Karma and their Sure Grip has some really nice glide. Check 'em out.

Tursas. Has a shallow rim, plus the leading edge is flat not knife edged if you know what I mean. Most comfortable disc I have put in my hands.

+1 - these puppies fly with minimal effort as well. The Tursas is probably the disc I've had the fewest poor throws with of all my discs; it just does what I want, and I'm a geezer too.

Would anyone consider anything that's been suggested in this thread a "great" mid like a Roc or Buzzz is?
Well, are the Roc or Buzzz really that great to begin with? :\ There are tons of mids that are every bit as useful as a Roc or Buzzz and many of them have been mentioned in this thread.

I wouldn't consider most of the discs that people have said smaller than the Buzzz. Fuse is about the same. So is the Impact, Skeeter, and Meteor ...
Fuse and Meteor are about the same as a Buzzz, I'll agree with you there. Skeeter and Impact are definitely smaller feeling, they're like mid/driver hybrids.

Actually just had a conversation with a friend of mine who is petite in stature. He is a really good disc golfer and he swears by his spiders.

I think small diameter mids would be a good option to explore.

I like the XD, Cobra and Stingray. I also found out the new Innova Atlas is a nice addition. That rim is shallower and I love how they fly.

I'm 56, btw.

Rather than start a new thread; I just got one of these in the mail today that I bought on eBay for cheap. The rim is shallower than the XD and where the rim meets the flight plate it is contoured like the Anode. I have no idea how it flies but it feels really good. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to test it.

Legacy1
Legacy2

Some pictures of the Legacy rim.

Wow! The response to my inquiry have been fantastic. I thank you all and have been researching all of the discs suggested as best I can to try to find the right fit for me. I will probably end up picking up at least two different molds to start with and go from there.

There are so many choices I only wish that I could handle or better yet throw all of them before making a final decision. Unfortunately there are few true DG shops near me and the big chain sporting goods stores around here have a very limited selection of disc if they carry any at all. Those that do only carry one or two molds of Discraft and/or Inovas Mids in base plastics.

It's encouraging to hear that there are plenty of other old "Discers" (DG duffers) out there. You youngsters will find out soon enough that growing old ain't for wimps. It sometimes requires a lot of fortitude to keep active in a sport when your knees, hips and back protest the simple act of walking up a hill and your hands sometimes refuse to grip or release objects on command anymore.

Someone mentioned that the Skeeter was not particularly good for forehand throws which reminded me that I did not mention my throwing style in my OP which could be a factor in disc selection. In short I have no style... wait that didn't sound right. What I mean to say is I am not dead set on any particular style. Though I generally throw RHBH I will FH or Tomahawk if I feel a situation calls for one of these shots.

Also, most of the courses in my area tend to be moderately to heavily wooded with shorter holes and tighter fairways. Again possibly a factor in disc selection.

Sorry about the long post and thanks again for all of your suggestions.

Buzzz is pretty shallow. Stratus is a little smaller, but it's closer in flight to a Leo than a Buzzz. Tursas might fit, but really, I don't see much of a way around getting comfortable with a rim as deep as a Buzzz.

Would anyone consider anything that's been suggested in this thread a "great" mid like a Roc or Buzzz is?

I wouldn't consider most of the discs that people have said smaller than the Buzzz. Fuse is about the same. So is the Impact, Skeeter, and Meteor ...

really............ Skeeter same size as Buzz? Not. Smaller flight plate by far, and rim for that matter. The Buzzz is the same size as a roc, you know, like a dang serving tray.

Impact, Skeeter, Fuse, all the same rim depth as the Buzzz. 1.3cm

Karma seems to fit. 1.1cm

Last edited:
really............ Skeeter same size as Buzz? Not. Smaller flight plate by far, and rim for that matter. The Buzzz is the same size as a roc, you know, like a dang serving tray.

yeah...skeeter is definitely smaller than the buzz. It is a very domey disc, and the lip may measure the same, but it definitely feels like a small disc. Its like a hybrid between a mid and a driver. I think its smaller diameter than a buzz/roc too

obex

I recently tried an obex for the thin rim and am pleasantly surprised how well it holds a line and glides........I am a youngster at 63.......keep flinging.

Well, are the Roc or Buzzz really that great to begin with? :\ There are tons of mids that are every bit as useful as a Roc or Buzzz and many of them have been mentioned in this thread.

Tons of mids that are the same depth as a Buzzz. So I don't feel that you've made a strong case for not getting comfortable with a buzzz like rim. Especially since only 2-3 of the suggestions are actually smaller than the buzzz. And I'm sorry, but the Stratus is not as useful as a Buzzz or Roc.

One that nobody has thrown out there and is kind of a tweener...Lat 64 RGL Spike. It's a 4 speed, has a pretty shallow rim with no bead, and is pretty easy to control. It won't be your longest mid, but it's great for approaches up to 150'.

Tons of mids that are the same depth as a Buzzz. So I don't feel that you've made a strong case for not getting comfortable with a buzzz like rim. Especially since only 2-3 of the suggestions are actually smaller than the buzzz. And I'm sorry, but the Stratus is not as useful as a Buzzz or Roc.

...for you. Everybody is different. If the guy doesn't like the rim on a Buzzz then he doesn't like it. A mid with similar specs as a Buzzz can still feel drastically different.

Latest posts