• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking to move, best state for disc golf?

If you move to Portland you get world class courses, world class breweries, a big tech scene with both big industry and start ups, three tech companies that have disc golf courses on campus, and a culture where being a computer geek is actually cool and will get you laid. The downside is you have to get used to rain for large chunks of the year. But our summers are very hard to beat.

OK. Hands down California has the BEST weather and some epic courses. Forget those other states. Sunny almost all the time, Los Angeles, Central Coast, Monterey bay area, Santa Cruz, San Diego, San Fransisco, first course of Disc Golf installed in Pasadena. And the women.......ohhhh man the women.

California is great. But as someone in the tech industry, the city his career would eventually take him to (San Fransisco/San Jose) hasn't been able to get their city to allow more than one disc golf course. So there's that.

Colorado front range (Denver Metro Area)

This is where I plan to go. It's a good area that has options. During the summer months there is a option to play anything from high altitude mountain golf to stuff that peppered up and down the front range. During the winter, most of the front range is open for play. There is also a LOT of players out that way (clubs/leagues/tournament) and the number of courses are growing every year.
Colorado gets my vote!:thmbup:

NC. It's not just Charlotte. The Raleigh area has a lot going on as well especially with the Clubs up there. Plus the amount of Solid courses spread throughout the State is pretty cool. You can go on a lot of road trips to play golf at the Beach or the mountains in only a few hours as well as play solid golf at home. We rarely get any snow and if we did you would get a kick out of the people freaking out over 2 inches. The only thing I would imagine that you would find unbearable at first here is the Humidity. It can get pretty intense.

Plus the people down here are nice unlike all of those damn Yankees. NC FTW!

Are there some good states up north for disc golf... yeah.... about half the year.

IMO it is much easier to play year-round in the north. Put on an extra layer and get out for a brisk round of winter golf. Finish the beer before it freezes, and skip shots off the water hazards. Good times. Summer golf means sunburn, bugs, packing up coolers, and lugging extra water around. 3 months of that is enough, who wants to deal with all that for 9 or more months out of the year? :confused:

Northern Delaware has a great DG community with some awesome courses. It also puts you within driving distance of making day trips to some awesome courses around PA. A lot of major companies HQs are in DE because of the low taxes the state offers. The weather is great to, you still get all the seasons but the winter isn't that bad at all.

Just by density of great courses and weather, I'd have to think NC is a clear pick as top DG spot. WI, MI, and MN would be up there if not for the harsh winters. I play in the winter, but I wouldn't be sad to have a tshirt on in January while chuckin' plastic.

Sweet! Another I'll name Charlotte and my home town thread!

Plus the people down here are nice unlike all of those damn Yankees. NC FTW!

The damn Yankees are the ones like me who move here and stay here. It's safe enough, most of the skirmishes from the war of the northern aggression have ended....

Charlotte has awesome courses, but it's congested (I guess it all depends on where you live and work, what the commute is...). Raleigh (or more like RTP for you) has a bunch of pretty decent courses and about 25% of the congestion, plus Charlotte is an easy drive for weekend trips, etc. (and a lot of transplanted northerners:thmbup:)

This is where I plan to go. It's a good area that has options. During the summer months there is a option to play anything from high altitude mountain golf to stuff that peppered up and down the front range. During the winter, most of the front range is open for play. There is also a LOT of players out that way (clubs/leagues/tournament) and the number of courses are growing every year.
Colorado gets my vote!:thmbup:

The front range is about as good as it gets for disc golf, up there with Highbridge. Conifer, Bucksnort, Magic Meadows, Bailey, and Phantom Falls are all a blast, although they are all pay-to-play (Conifer and Bailey have a suggest donation I think, the others require reservations).

Be warned that the Denver area is not impressive for disc golf. Most of the courses are kind of boring. And traffic isn't good. When I visit friends there, we always make the drive up to the Conifer/Pine/Bailey area.

If you're up in the mountains a bit, you'll always have something to do.

Sweet! Another I'll name Charlotte and my home town thread!

How's this: Don't move to Indy solely for disc golf. Ground's too flat, we get too hot in summer and too cold in winter. Our scene is growing, but there's better terrain in the midwest for disc golf.

Other than that, Indy's a pretty cool place to live. Good breweries, a good football team, nice downtown area, cool "college town" area (Broadripple), arts district (Mass Ave), easy travel to the rest of the midwest (St. Louis, Cinci, Louisville, Chicago all within 4 hours).

There's definitely better metro areas for disc golfers, though.
Maybe someone ought to use the guide to look for the zip code with the most 4+ disc courses within 25 miles.

Seriously. If you're weather is the first determinant, be more specific. Getting away from South Dakota winters probably rules out Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan as well. Do you just want less winter, or long for a virtually snow-free place where winter days get into the 50s or 60s, or to play in shorts and tee-shirt all winter?

And how do you feel about summer heat? Have you ever spent a summer in the Southeast?

When it comes to courses, there's a point of diminishing returns. If a city has 60 courses, are you really going to play them all? What you probably want is about 5 or 10 good-to-great courses within a reasonable drive, and the chance to make roadtrips to others.

I'm not too worried about employment. I'm graduating with 2 BS degrees: Computer & Network Security, Computer Network & System Administration. There are tech jobs everywhere. I'm just mostly tired of harsh winters, I'm looking for something milder. I love Minnesota, but you guys get more snow than I do down here in South Dakota =P

this makes me chuckle. Good luck out there I hope you are right. I hear Pittsburg is becoming the silicon valley of the east -- and has some spectacular courses.

IMO it is much easier to play year-round in the north. Put on an extra layer and get out for a brisk round of winter golf. Finish the beer before it freezes, and skip shots off the water hazards. Good times. Summer golf means sunburn, bugs, packing up coolers, and lugging extra water around. 3 months of that is enough, who wants to deal with all that for 9 or more months out of the year? :confused:

Ha, skip shots off the ice that hit the only rough patch and stop 32' out when my retriever only goes 30'.....love winter golf :extremesarcasm

Another vote for NC, and I voted with my feet. When I retired and wanted to move away from the Wash.DC area, I chose Charlotte for a much lower cost of housing (compared to DC) and the DG scene.

One feature of Charlotte, especially if you're on the south side of town, is that Augusta is only an easy 2 hours or so away, with its own cluster of fine courses including the IDGC.

Awesome DavidSauls, I was just about to mention that if you live in Fort Mill South Carolina for instance (southern suburb of Charlotte), you're closer to Augusta (Georgia) than you are to Raleigh (North Carolina). There are probably similar other examples elsewhere.

Latest posts