• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Loooooong Black Ace at Maple Hill

For those who don't know Maple Hill: This is hole 1 Gold tee. The actual white tee is approximately 130 feet down the hill to the throwers right. The White hole is 355 feet. The Gold basket is 280-300 feet beyond the white basket tucked into the woods surrounded by O.B. ( a man made island green if you will).

Disc used- Z Nuke.

Clearing the pond from the gold tee is really impressive, and hitting the black ace is hilarious.

It probably was annoying taking your stance behind the basket, though!

"Its just a pond, get over it". This is one of the maple hill tag lines.

Another is "nice shot, you're still out"

Nice vid!!! Just sent it along to the course superintendent as he sometimes refers to himself. He will wake up to a boomstick then go work on the course.

Clearing the pond is a definite smash, but all of the top 50 players do it pretty consistently. And that's who maple hill golds is built for, some would say.

Philo clears the pond by 150 in the vibram on a pure hyzer.

And yes that basket gets pulled for the tourney... By me.

David Wiggins was at least 200 feet over the water. Avery also. I have seen Nikko and Cale throw it in the pond though, and McBeast skipped off the rocks in round 1 this year. It still takes a good drive for those guys.

I'm not sure you can call it a "black ace" if the basket is an alternate baskets that's on the fairway you're playing. If he had shanked it over to Hole 2's basket... then Yeah, black ace.
DSCJNKY

Wait, I thought the definition of a "Black Ace" was an ace into any basket other than the intended one? Am I wrong?

Black is black!

Not intended basket? Color it black!
Like the Ace of Spades!
ace-of-spades.jpg

I don't care what color it is that **** was awesome. Maybe they were playing long to short on purpose.

Grey Ace? When did that become a thing? 17 @ Valley Springs is a big hyzer to the short and the long plays as a par 4 about 200' past the short basket. There's not really any real line from the tee to the long. Well we were playing singles with a guy who had never played the course so I explained the hole as "The only way I know to play this hole is to throw right to the short basket then approach"

Well then I threw and aced the short basket. What color is it when you call yourself black acing?

This black/brown ace debate came up somewhere before.

My buddy calls it a brown ace when you "ace" into a trash can.

I don't care what color it is that **** was awesome. Maybe they were playing long to short on purpose.

Grey Ace? When did that become a thing? 17 @ Valley Springs is a big hyzer to the short and the long plays as a par 4 about 200' past the short basket. There's not really any real line from the tee to the long. Well we were playing singles with a guy who had never played the course so I explained the hole as "The only way I know to play this hole is to throw right to the short basket then approach"

Well then I threw and aced the short basket. What color is it when you call yourself black acing?

Grey Ace with style points?!

From the Brown Ace thread, Cgkdisc correctly pointed out " 'Grey ace' was coined back when the Warwick (NY) course was installed to reference an "ace" on the Silver basket when teeing to the longer Blue basket on the same hole."

At Hyland Orchard & Brewery DGC, they have "grey" short pins and "blue" long pins. Hence an ace on a "grey" pin while playing for the "blue" baskets is called a "grey ace". Same tee pads, same fairways, different basket/lenghts.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4251

So is "grey ace" acceptable for any shorter alternate basket on the hole in play? Or since the ace video that started this thread was on the white basket, should it be a "white ace"?