• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost and Found... Does it work?

CommunityMGR

So I was cruising through the internet yesterday, and I ran across a website for the Forest City Disc Golf Course, but what really intrigued me was their "Lost and Found" page.

http://forestcitydiscgolf.com/lost-and-found/

Now maybe this is standard, but I haven't seen it on any other sites so far. So I was wondering how truly effective is a system like this, and could it be a feasible feature section on DGCR?

I didn't put this topic in the "Suggestions" Forum only because I'm more interested in whether or not people would use a feature such as this on a hyper-local level (a website specific to a single DGC ), or if it would benefit more by being on a "Global" site like DGCR?

When I was a kid, my mom always told me (when we went to Disneyland) that if I was to get lost... that I should stay put. Stay where I was when I got lost. That way they could try to find me there.

Therefore, I think the lost and found works best on a local level. If the disc stays where it was when I lost it, I know where to look for it. Thus. I think the local club, pro-shop, tournament director... should hold onto the disc until you retrieve it.

Although, it would be kinda cool to get a disc back that you had lost on a course that you will never return to again. So, it just might work.
But then again, your phone number would probably work faster and be easier.
DSCJNKY

I've only used a local lost & found once and the owner was able to get the back. He actually called a few days later to say thank you. So in my limited experience, it does seem to be helpful. The thing that works best for me is calling the number on the disc right away to see if the owner is still nearby. Funny thing is that one time I called the number and could hear the other phone ring from the next fairway over LOL

Our lost and found consists of pretty much one guy that will give you your disc back if you win it on Ebay(discgolfmuseum)

I found a Disc at the UNC DGC in Chapel Hill, NC. I called the number and the gentleman said he'd not be in the area again for months, and said i could keep it. It was a Champion Valkyrie in excellent condition that was stuck in a tree.

I'm the type of person that would call if there was a number, or look online both locally and on a site like this (if we had a Lost n' Found section), and try every avenue I could before assuming I could keep it...

i think dgcr has a lost and found feature where you can describe the disc you lost at which course but ive never used it so im not quite sure if it just shows how many discs have been lost there or what, ask tim if your curious

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=119&mode=rev

check out my review of maple hill. there is a link in there for their lost and found. Pyramids also has a lost and found. the course rules state if you find a disc on the course you must return it to the pro shop. he has four large bins organized alphabetically to keep returned discs. you are allowed to go and get your discs, or your friends. its all doen on trust and i got two of mine back that way.

Thats very cool that the pro shop does that!

i think what happens is when you take a disc out of your bag (in the disc organizer) and put it in the lost section it will go the the lost disc area of that parks review page. look at the beaver ranch page for an example.

i think what happens is when you take a disc out of your bag (in the disc organizer) and put it in the lost section it will go the the lost disc area of that parks review page. look at the beaver ranch page for an example.

either way you should still put your info on them. but i think its great for courses to help out too, especially for non members of the site.

lost disc

I'm pretty sure that Jason (Marshall street's owner) Will mail your discs back if you can prove who you are (like placing an order with the same name that's on the disc or having credit card info on file) and describe the disc, they are kool like that.

Having your info doesnt solve anything, people just take it off with acetone or just mark through it.

Yes, the lost disc feature on DGCR is in the course organizer. Assuming the disc is already in your organizer, just hit the "edit" icon. There is a drop-down menu that reads 'lost at' or something like that. The drop-down menu will consist of the courses you have marked as played. There is another box to designate what hole it was lost on. Once you save the update, it will be listed on the home page of that course. There is a link on the homepage to see the lost discs.

I'm pretty sure that Jason (Marshall street's owner) Will mail your discs back if you can prove who you are (like placing an order with the same name that's on the disc or having credit card info on file) and describe the disc, they are kool like that.

my wife only lives like 45 min from the course so i get to find my disc and play a round too!

In ALBQ the local club has a big mail box at the first tee of the courses. Found discs, score cards and a guest book are kept there. I usually check the box for different discs to try then return them when I'm done.

Here in STL, there is a course specific thread on the local club's (RCFD) web site.

Here in STL, there is a course specific thread on the local club's (RCFD) web site.

Ditto here in the Atlanta area. The Atlanta Disc Golf Organization (ADGO) web site has a discussion board very similar to this one, with forums for each course. Within each forum, there's a lost-and-found thread. Degree of success depends on a lot of factors -- who plays the course, how busy it is, etc. My local course is notorious for having tons of high school kids who keep whatever they find, whether it's marked with names/numbers or not. Most of the serious players post whatever they find, and whatever they lose (lots of discs disappear into the kudzu not to be seen for months). I've successfully returned three or four discs by calling the owners, one more by posting a found notice on the ADGO board for a disc with a name but no number where it was seen by someone who knew the owner. I have three or four more discs that I've found and posted info about but have never heard from anyone on.

I've lost a few myself that I've posted on the board and never heard anything about (though I'm pretty sure I saw one of 'em in the infamous video some of our high school friends posted on YouTube with all the discs they've acquired). Mine are all marked with name, phone, e-mail, and PDGA number, so anyone finding them has no excuse not to get in touch.

In general, it's hit or miss, but it doesn't cost that much time and effort to post either a lost or found disc, and even if it only works 20% of the time, that's better than nothing. I'd expect local sites to be more successful than national/general ones, but hey, it can't hurt to have both.

Latest posts