• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost & Found Plastic

I think that there really is more than one answer to this question.

If you throw your disc into a pond, river, lake, whatever and you don't even try to retrieve it, then it is gone, you would never see that disc again if someone else didn't dive in and pull it out, then why would you think that you deserve just to get it back. Now don't get me wrong, I went in a creek two days ago for a disc, it had a name and number. I called, the guy told me to keep, but thanked me for calling, stating that he never gets calls about his discs. I call every time I find a disc with a number and do my best to return it. As a matter of fact that was the first disc that I didn't return that had a number, everyone else wanted it back so I returned it. But I think you might be going a little far to rag on these guys so much. I, like a lot of the other people have said, would be happy if someone pulled a disc out that I thought I was never going to see again and have no problem paying for a service that I had no intention of performing myself.

Now lets say you throw into the pond or river and they are already in there diving, they get a hold of your disc and say they are going to charge you, well lets just say that wouldn't be a very good moment for these guys. Not that I would ever try to get violent or anything, but I would make sure that everyone on the course knows about their practices and also let the local club, and its members know what they were doing. I'm sure they wouldn't be doing it for much longer.

Last edited:
FWIW if I pulled a disc out of anywhere with a name and number I call...sometimes right there on the spot in hopes of returning it to the person before they leave.

We have found 4 uninked discs to about 6 inked...all the inks have been returned and all of my inked discs have been returned.

I am so anal about inking that I will put my name on a disc right there on the course if I realize I forgot to.

I am so anal about inking that I will put my name on a disc right there on the course if I realize I forgot to.

I used to remember that I had not inked my new disc right after I threw it into the woods. I am now much better about marking my discs before I throw them.

i just see it as the guys fishing the discs out of the lake are providing a service, if you are not interested in their services they offer im sure they would be happy to throw the disc back into the lake for you so that you can get it

i just see it as the guys fishing the discs out of the lake are providing a service, if you are not interested in their services they offer im sure they would be happy to throw the disc back into the lake for you so that you can get it

I agree

It isn't the fact of the finders fee I am fine with that. It is the fact that they do not call to allow the owners a chance to say yes or no. That is me though. Paying for their service is acceptable. Just don't like the fact that they would sell off the disk rather then try to get it to the owner.

well if they dont call the owners then they can sell the disc for more than what the finders fee is....usually when i see these guys i will only buy discs with no names or ink that way i dont run into the original owner down the road and have a confrontation...but i dont see their "business" as a problem...

There is claims that this happens at our local course...except they are selling at PIAS which eliminates all chance of getting a call. If people are truly selling their own discs then I don't see why they wouldn't cross their number and name out...

I have also heard that the pond in question has a large snake, snapping turtles and possibly leaches...in this case I would be glad to pay a return fee.

I have had one lost in there and returned with no questions or fees implied but I did offer a reward which was denied.

I would prefer to be offered the disc in return for nothing to which I would probably offer anyways.
good for you i think some kind of reward or trade should be offered and the thing is if your cool enough to offer right off the bat most of the time theyll say dont worry about it , also some of the pias will give you a discount for disc with numbers and names i would check with them.

Unless they were price gouging I don't have too much of a problem with it, that's coming from one of the honest ones that try and return discs to people. They did do the dirty work you didn't do in diving for the discs. I'd pay $5 bucks to get one of my discs out. Now if I just threw my disc in the drink and they nab it before I have a chance to get at it then there will beat some bloody teens on the course.

exactly

It's like Play It Again, I found my roommate's 2008 champ roc in the used bin for 15.99, and I called him to let him know. He went in and they said they paid $3.50 for it, and if he wanted to pay that he could have it. Of course he did, but this was a $30 dollar disc, that was in great condition.

Let's stop selling to PIA and sell it back to the original owner.

It isn't the fact of the finders fee I am fine with that. It is the fact that they do not call to allow the owners a chance to say yes or no. That is me though. Paying for their service is acceptable. Just don't like the fact that they would sell off the disk rather then try to get it to the owner.

Agreed. I would gladly pay more than pias for a disc that was mine.

That helps you and me.

my point is i dont feel if i or anyone finds your disc that you lost that they owe you anything, its their disc now they can do what they want.

btw i call all non-dx disc i find but i dont feel that someone who risks life and limb to dive for disc needs to call anyone as it would be more of a problem than its worth , your gonna have people wanting to kick your ass ,calling you disc jacker,arguing about discounts ,wanting you to meet them or wait for them or make special arangements .

like many people i only have a prepaid phone so if i call you it costs me money, while i dont ask for anything when i return a disc im not going to go through any trouble to get it back to you and just imagine how many minutes it would cost to call 10-20 people several times each and then maybe have to talk to them for a few minutes.

my point is i dont feel if i or anyone finds your disc that you lost that they owe you anything, its their disc now they can do what they want.

btw i call all non-dx disc i find but i dont feel that someone who risks life and limb to dive for disc needs to call anyone as it would be more of a problem than its worth , your gonna have people wanting to kick your ass ,calling you disc jacker,arguing about discounts ,wanting you to meet them or wait for them or make special arangements .

like many people i only have a prepaid phone so if i call you it costs me money, while i dont ask for anything when i return a disc im not going to go through any trouble to get it back to you and just imagine how many minutes it would cost to call 10-20 people several times each and then maybe have to talk to them for a few minutes.
fair enough

if people want to use the disc for their own gain, more power to them

it's the people that immediately sell the discs to pia that I have more of a problem with

at least give the original owner a chance to claim/pay for their discs

fair enough

if people want to use the disc for their own gain, more power to them

it's the people that immediately sell the discs to pia that I have more of a problem with

at least give the original owner a chance to claim/pay for their discs
for those not diving in water people dont wanna go into i agree with you give them one call and offer to leave it for them at least , but i can understand how someone feels when they cant find their disc and they find another one with a name that person should at least offer you something for your time .

for those not diving in water people dont wanna go into i agree with you give them one call and offer to leave it for them at least , but i can understand how someone feels when they cant find their disc and they find another one with a name that person should at least offer you something for your time .

But you're already in there. I went in for one of my favorite discs a couple months ago. I didn't find it but found a couple other discs. Despite not having a name or number on them, I still posted them on our local forum. I was already in the water, so much like if I find a disc on the course, it's fair to try and get it back to the original owner. Turns out, a couple people that are filling their bags solely from the discs they find have my disc.

While I have replaced the disc, the new ones just don't feel the same. If I happen to get put on the same card as them, I'm definitely calling them out for it. I did go back in the water because I wanted the disc, but they beat me to the punch. Should I just let them have it despite taking the plunge myself?

i go in after my discs (we have hunting waders that work perfect for getting in that nasty water), but the other day some people took there shirts off and grabbed my disc before i had a chance to grab it, being a group of 5+ i couldnet do anything about it, but it wasent a great disc anyways.

ive also bought a disc recently that i know was fished out of the water ($3 for a champ firebird, not a bad price)

i think people should give you a chance to get it, but if you walk away from it, its theres.

People walk away from their automobiles everyday, that doesn't make them the property of the next person to come along who can get them to run does it?

heres some advice if its your favorite disc or something you dont want to lose dont throw it on the water holes, better yet buy a floater .

Latest posts