• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Love for the Gazelle

edit window has passed, also worth mentioning that the gazelles I've tried have been terrible for forehand - perfectly appropriate flight characteristics but the combination of the wide notch on the outer edge of the lower wing and the dome made it impossible for me to get a clean rip. I would seriously consider bagging these in the roles I described above but the inability to FH kind of sinks that boat.

Champ Leopards are pretty close in flight so that's one option. But it's not a Gazelle :p

How would you compare Leopard3s to Gazelles? TIA. (And anyone else with knowledge, please do answer.)

Last edited:
How would you compare Leopard3s to Gazelles? TIA. (And anyone else with knowledge, please do answer.)

Gazelles have a lot more high speed stability. I've only used the DX ones, but they seemed to have more glide and less low speed fade than premium plastic Leo3s. I actually really liked the Gazelle, just could never fit it in the bag.

Again, gotta disagree with some of the above.

I think Gazelles can go FAR. They play like faster Rocs in many way, but (especially flatter ones) can really leg it out to driver distances.

And I love the Gazelle for FHs. That notch on the nose (much like a Firebird) helps it sit tight to my palm and I get great releases with them.

Comparing a DX Gazelle (lots of glide, not really OS at all) to a champ L3 isn't a fair comparison.

Problem with all this talk is this: there are lots of great molds out that do Gazelle stuff and, if you arent already sitting on a stack of Gazelles or tuned in to the mold, why bother?

I was referring to my less stable and more used Champ Glow when I compared to flight to a Champ Leopard, which in my limited experience are pretty straight flyers and not all that understable. I haven't thrown a Leopard3 but from what I've seen them thrown they seem to have more turn.
I was just wondering how to replace a seasoned/straight premium Gazelle if I were to lose mine. I have a couple of Circle Stamp Champs but they are fairly stable and I feel like it will take a good while until I can get one to have a straight flight.

But yes, Gazelles in general are more stable than Leopards and Leopard3s in both HSS and LSS departments, but my experience with premium Gazelles is limited to only one Champ Glow and Circle Stamp Champs.

I was referring to my less stable and more used Champ Glow when I compared to flight to a Champ Leopard, which in my limited experience are pretty straight flyers and not all that understable. I haven't thrown a Leopard3 but from what I've seen them thrown they seem to have more turn.
I was just wondering how to replace a seasoned/straight premium Gazelle if I were to lose mine. I have a couple of Circle Stamp Champs but they are fairly stable and I feel like it will take a good while until I can get one to have a straight flight.

But yes, Gazelles in general are more stable than Leopards and Leopard3s in both HSS and LSS departments, but my experience with premium Gazelles is limited to only one Champ Glow and Circle Stamp Champs.

Try a G* as a replacement. It's that blend of straight, but can work lines if need be. When I was throwing gazelles it was: circle stamp champ, champ glow, g*. In order of stability. Never really dug the dx.

I think Gazelles can go FAR.

I remember an old video of McBeth and another guy playing Climo's course with fresh DX the purchased I believe from the Clearwater FLA disc golf shop??

As I recall, PM had a Gazelle he just crushed 400+ feet.

Or maybe I was drunk - anybody remember that?

I finally treated myself to one of those Champion Gazelles from the Innova Factory Store. Now I only have to wait for about 2 feet of snow to melt to try it out.

I got some of the Factory Store Gazelles this past fall, and have been bagging a Champion and GStar for some rounds.

The Champion started out fairly high speed stable when new, and was a reliable hyzer disc that I used for a particular hole where the disc needed to have zero high speed turn, followed by a moderate fade. I say "was" because after about 5 rounds, it began to flip up and sometimes ride right a bit on my rhbh throw. I now use it for straight shots only. No more reliable hyzers.

I was hoping the Champion Gazelle would be a Kastaplast Kaxe clone, but with more glide. It has more dome than a Kaxe, thus more glide, but a Kaxe has more overstability even if it is a bit slower and shorter than a Gazelle. I consider the two molds to be different enough that both could be bagged for different type shots.

The GStars that I have are all pretty flat, and appear to have higher parting lines than the Champions. But, the GStar Gazelle that I am bagging is a straight to turnover disc for me. It probably has a bit less glide than the Champion version, but I am now using it in place of a Leopard for woodsy anhyzer shots, around 300 ft.

I have tried one of the Factory Store's Star Gazelles also. It has lots of dome, and feels kind of slow and clunky to me. I'll give it another go this spring, but I liked it less than the Champion and GStars so far.

Just got a max weight champion. It is the overstable Gazelle. Brilliant blue color, and opaque for Champion plastic.
Instantly kicked out the Eagle from my bag for the season.

Still available on the factory store

I stocked up on a few of those as well. Throwing these new champ gazelles along side my old flat 10x KC pro champ, the new ones seem slightly more overstable. The stamp is beautiful on these new champs.

Attachments

• EDFC44B3-ED7F-422E-A8BE-5F522578F6CB.jpg
    EDFC44B3-ED7F-422E-A8BE-5F522578F6CB.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 83
I've never held a gazelle. How beefy are they?
I recently picked up a pro Leo, it flys an 0/2 type line. I find I'm using it like a fairway, those in between approach shots especially when I need a lower line, where my FDs and teebirds are more like drivers for me. I love the Leo, but it sounds like it's not easy to find these stable ones. How would you guys compare gazelles to teebirds stability wise?
Are they pretty consistent?

The champ glow (hint) gazelles that OBRB sent me are beefy as all get out, at least for the power I throw them with. They are going < 300 ft for me. Fly more like an OS mid I think.

I think stable leos are easy to find, just grab a max weight domey champ with the Barry 2x stamp.

I sought out a gazelle to try for the same reason, that I was throwing a lot of leos at the time and wanted a stable leo that was not a teebird. I found the GYRO slow fairways as a better option for this slot, the Servo in particular.

I've never held a gazelle. How beefy are they?
I recently picked up a pro Leo, it flys an 0/2 type line. I find I'm using it like a fairway, those in between approach shots especially when I need a lower line, where my FDs and teebirds are more like drivers for me. I love the Leo, but it sounds like it's not easy to find these stable ones. How would you guys compare gazelles to teebirds stability wise?
Are they pretty consistent?

Champ gazelles throw like champ teebirds to start.

Cfr glo I've thrown haven't been as overstable as the champs, but are excellent straight to fade fairways on a flat and hard rip.

Star gazelles are domey but fly forever. They are my main drivers in the woods. Very neutral flights with a lot of HSS as long as there is no wind. Kinda like a max weight comet that way. Teeny tiny fade.

Gstar gazelles are weird, but awesome. They turn basically out of the box yet still have some fade. Really great line shapers.

Dx gazelles are great too. Good ones will start out flying like star gazelles.

This is how they behave for me, anyway. My guess is i could throw a gazelle about 360' max.

If you want a stable leo, i would think a champ leo would do fine. Never thrown one, myself. Only pro. Otherwise, sure, a gazelle would do. They can shape lines or hold them. They really do it all, imo, but a teebird is a teebird and a gazelle is a gazelle. The teebird is the more reliable and available disc.

Good to see Gazelles in the conversation again. I haven't been throwing any of mine for quite some time because I went from FH dominant to FH only and found that a Teebird just did the same thing and was far more replaceable than an 11x when I flicked it. But now that I'm working BH back into my game and the weather is heating up? Time to grab a stack of stock DX, a few old circle stamps, and a stack of 11x and go see what happens in the field!