• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

lower back pain from form?

It's actually not as bad as I thought it would be. You are twisting your upper body back, but not the hips, so your spine is twisting and stretching muscles. You want to move everything more together. The way you shift your weight from in front of you is also part of the issue as you are slamming your weight more than settling it. Your weight transfer should happen from behind you...meaning you need to get your hips more backwards on the plant.

Pain in the lower back is usually tight glutes or a tilted pelvis.

Tight glutes are combatted by stretching. Try the "figure four" stretch.

A tilted pelvis needs to be treated by a chiro, FIRST! But after that, you can avoid it by doing off-course excercises that will equal out the muscle imbalance that is causing it. Essentially, if you are a RHBH thrower, you are working one side of your body only. I've found that trying to throw lefty doesn't work for me as I have to slow down so much since I have NO contol over it. So, I go through the motion of throwing LHBH at full force. It definitely helps to do that a few times after really hard RHBH throws.

thanks for the info guys. i tried having my hips more backwards in the throws and it helped my back but i wasn't as accurate as i am normally. i'm also gonna look into seeing a chiropractor soon

Take a DVD or a mag with you and demonstrate the throw. Most chiro's don't realize how much tortion we create on our backs.

i haven't played in 2 weeks due to the back pain and i've discovered from whipping a tail it happens right before my full reach back. i'm seeing a physical therapist who has played disc golf and ultimate in college so she knows a little bit about the throwing motion. can someone add to why my reachback could be hurting my back? it feels smoother if i try and take a bigger hop before my right foot plants which would maybe help me to ease back into playing again

I get back pain from not playing...at least that's what my chiro tells me. Usually on days I play my back feels great but day after I'm always tight. I try to keep things loose and stretched while trolling dcgr at work from my chair. usually get an adjustment once every couple of months. back pain is no longer an issue.

your form looks pretty good BTW.

can someone add to why my reachback could be hurting my back? it feels smoother if i try and take a bigger hop before my right foot plants which would maybe help me to ease back into playing again

I'd had this problem...got my alignment fixed with chiro, kept stretching and keeping off my ass so much. the reach back really puts a lot of torsion on your spine and your weight is balanced on back foot so all the weight is transferring through that twisted back as you start to come forward. getting things aligned really makes a difference you can feel.

i'm just the opposite when i'm not playing my back feels pretty good. if i try and don't have perfect for i risk injuring it worse. maybe i just need to heal but i'm going CRAZY!

I'm not sure from your description, but I'll say that feeling more weightless/taller before the plant makes it 100x easier to turn/pivot the body back without twisting the spine. There's a lot of misunderstanding about reachback and weight transfer in disc golf. Your max reachback(I prefer to call a backswing) should feel effortless!