• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lower back problems!

Rickcin

Bogey Member
Wondering if throwing a disk even with proper form has an adverse effect on the lower back?

I've certainly have had my issues with lower back pain over the years from abuse and lifting but have learned how to prevent them causing pain for the most part, especially when at the gym and lifting weights.

I'm new to DG and wondering if this will eventually cause me problems and end what looks to be a sport that I truly love!

I've read plenty about elbow, arm and rotator cuff stress and injury but not so much about lower back pain, so I'm wondering what "most" other "older players" have experienced?

I have had lower back problems for 20 years plus at this point including one ruptured disc. For the most part the throwing doesn't bother me- carrying a bag does however even if I use a light one with only a few discs.

I aggravated an old back injury about 6 weeks ago and am still recovering from that- no pain left but drop foot/numbness from the nerve getting pressed. With my current symptoms I have no problem throwing backhand with a short runup but can't throw a forehand that requires me to step into it.

46 here and the more I engage the lower body, the more my lower back and hips are hurting/sore. I will be trying to do core work this offseason to strengthen the part that connects my lower body to my upper. Hoping that helps. Also, either bag or cart seems to stress my body in different ways so either one works I guess.

46 here and the more I engage the lower body, the more my lower back and hips are hurting/sore. I will be trying to do core work this offseason to strengthen the part that connects my lower body to my upper. Hoping that helps. Also, either bag or cart seems to stress my body in different ways so either one works I guess.
I have a small disc bag (Grip G2) and only carry about 6 discs, however the Rogue Iron retriever is probably heavier than the bag & discs, so it seems.

I did find what appears to be a good video which illustrates a pre-disc golf stretching routine that should help to avoid aches and pains.

Last edited:
I have lower back issues that flare up once per year or so. I'm not going to go play a round during a flare up, but otherwise I don't think dg has made my problems worse.

By far the worst thing for my back was switching to a 100% desk job almost 10 years ago. Before that, all my jobs were physical enough that I didn't feel the need to exercise regularly and never got in the habit.

Get a good foam roller, does wonders for my back

Wondering if throwing a disk even with proper form has an adverse effect on the lower back?

I've certainly have had my issues with lower back pain over the years from abuse and lifting but have learned how to prevent them causing pain for the most part, especially when at the gym and lifting weights.

I'm new to DG and wondering if this will eventually cause me problems and end what looks to be a sport that I truly love!

I've read plenty about elbow, arm and rotator cuff stress and injury but not so much about lower back pain, so I'm wondering what "most" other "older players" have experienced?
I am 54, fair health, playing for 5 months. I stretch out good before playing, and I have had no back issues so far. My nephew, about 30, had back injuries from pitching baseball when he was younger, and it bothered his back. He said he hurt it when he didn't warm up any, and tried to throw his first shot real hard. Then, playing once a week, he was throwing again before letting it heal up all the way, so every week he was sore the next day. Well, he hasn't played in a month (fishing instead), so he is hoping to play again soon, warm up first, and see if it bothers his back or not. Hope not!

I experience lower back pain often when i play too much. It causes me to take breaks. Aleve usually numbs it enough for me to play a round. Have not found the source of the problem or a solution

I experience lower back pain often when i play too much. It causes me to take breaks. Aleve usually numbs it enough for me to play a round. Have not found the source of the problem or a solution
Lower back problems are usually caused by weak core muscles. I had a physical therapist specifically tell me not to do crunches. They had me do dead bugs and bridges. Their are many variations on dead bugs, so you'll have to try them out and see what works for you.

Aleve for the win! I have scoliosis (my spine curves the wrong way) and I frequently have back pain. I keep Aleve and doTERRA's Deep Blue (similar to BenGay) in my bag. Aleve I take before the round, and I use Deep Blue for any aches/pains that show up during the round.

But the most important things I do are:
1. stretch before playing
2. stretch between each hole. I find tee shots impact my back the most, so a good stretch before teeing off helps.
3. pick up my bag and carry it properly. (Okay this I don't do as much as I should). Don't just bend over to pick up your bag....it's heavy, use your legs and knees properly. The backpack has two straps, use them. If you do carry a bag only on one shoulder (backpack or slingbag) switch shoulders frequently.

As a 66yo player, I attribute my back problems more to my nonplaying activities. Playing aggravates the pain but didn't cause the problem.

Echoing others, an orthopedist told me that back pain can often be caused by tight hamstrings. I don't suffer back pain too often, but stretching is my solution. When I have aggravated it, disc golf hurts in the short term, but helps overall (the twisting being more stretching).

Of course, stretching mainly helps when that's the cause of the pain to begin with. If it's an actual spine issue or other injury, it may not help.

Actually found a remedy for me this month. I been paying a pro player to give me lessons. They showed me, on my drives that my head was staying up causing me to throw anhyzer. I started looking into the disc as i throw. I stopped getting back pain after my rounds

Latest posts