• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lower Power Thrower - Do I really Need Overstable driver??

The overstable driver I use is an ESP Surge. I only throw it backhand because it's such a meathook. Other than that I have an ESP Nuke.

hey chris just curious..you use the older esp surge or the nate doss? i havent thrown the older ones but the few nd surge i had werent really that stable..im sure my form at the time didnt help them either tho

OP. Yes. Get an overstable driver. I am a low power guy and use a XXX for at least a few shots every round.

I agree with Sloppy. My power range is in your wheelhouse, and a Firebird is in my bag. Do I need it? No, but it makes a number of shots much easier for me. I will forgo one on a dead calm day sometimes, but otherwise it is in the bag.

A 170ish Champ Eagle-X is not enough for heavy winds, even when new, especially if you forehand much.

I throw a star orc 175 for longer shots and a star gator 172 for the shorter ones.

Orc's are considered understable though right? i assume though, that in my power range it is going to act OS for me?

I will see what I can find for an Star Eagle-X, Champ Banshee, and a Firebird. I have a buddy with an Champ Orc that i think is pretty heavy so i will try that out.

Orc is a stable disc with a nice fade not really over or under stable. For that meathook shot i throw with hyzer this is $$ for a hyzer shot.

Last edited:
Orc is a stable disc with a nice fade not really over or under stable. For that meathook shot i throw with hyzer this is $$ for a hyzer shot.

Orcs are not very HSS though, so if you put some juice into one it will turn quite a bit.

A star teebird would be plently overstable for 280-300ft and you will reeealy enjoy it once it is broken in to like a 7/10.

When in doubt... Firebird!

hey chris just curious..you use the older esp surge or the nate doss? i havent thrown the older ones but the few nd surge i had werent really that stable..im sure my form at the time didnt help them either tho

I bought a stack of fly dyed ESP Surges that were flatter and more overstable than Z Flicks. The other Surges i throw are the proto Surges and a batch of really gummy orange Z Surges from 2009. I buy so much plastic that I have a lot to look through to find the stuff I like. I have never thrown a ND Surge.

I'd suggest for backhand, at the range noted, a Gazelle. Try to get a Glow Champ. They're an amazing disc, will handle wind pretty well, and should still finish left. If you want one that's gonna take a left turn and keep on going, try a Firebird. I carry an 11x always. I don't use it for a lot of shots, but I have specific shots that I use it for, and on those shots, it's a must. If you're looking for forehand, try a Z flick in lighter weights (150g's). I also use it for overhead shots.

I bought a stack of fly dyed ESP Surges that were flatter and more overstable than Z Flicks. The other Surges i throw are the proto Surges and a batch of really gummy orange Z Surges from 2009. I buy so much plastic that I have a lot to look through to find the stuff I like. I have never thrown a ND Surge.

wow..thats sweet dude.. i threw the ND Surge for a bit but they just got to flippy way to fast..i ended up going to a different mold but did like the feel..sounds like i need to grab an old esp or z..a surge more stable than a flick just sounds nuts lol

At your distance, a champion Teebird or Eagle should do well enough in a headwind. The others you listed will all be very difficult to throw well at all.

I agree with the eagle that was my first os driver 167g when I started. I still carry one in my bag at all times just in a heavier weight now 175g

Yes, pretty much any of those discs you mentioned would be fine for spike hyzers or hard skips to get around a hard left corner (assuming RHBH) about 100 - 175' out. My personal preference would be for the Firebird (longer shots) and the Whippet (shorter shots). The Monster should be the biggest meathhook (most overstable) in the bunch.

Follow up! I actually got a chance to throw a 167 Champ Banshee this weekend. It was amazing! As I stated, I throw a leopard. The banshee felt nice and I was able to throw it easily. I attached a picture of #5 at Handyman Ace Hardware Disc Golf Course....

269' Par 3.

I pulled out the banshee and parked the hole for the first time. I just threw it hard out to the RIGHT and let it fall...it was amazing!

Even better, it was an amazing Forehand disc! I don't forehand much (if at all). I was able to get that banshee to "S" curve so nicely with a little anny on release. It was awesome!

Attachments

• Hole5_02_ShortTee.jpg
    Hole5_02_ShortTee.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Hole5_03_Pin.jpg
    Hole5_03_Pin.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 16
Follow up! I actually got a chance to throw a 167 Champ Banshee this weekend. It was amazing!

Sweet, glad you liked the Banshee. I think it is a very underrated overstable driver, much more useful than a faster disc like a Firebird for those of us with less-than-cannon arms.

I use the leopard as a main driver and have similar power. In addition to a teebird, I carry the whippet, banshee, and firebird, and they all fill different slots in my bag.

The teebird is for a little bit of headwind.

For headwind that is pretty stiff, I use the banshee.

The firebird only comes out in gale force headwinds like we get in Texas that will literally blow a person backwards off the tee, and flip a banshee up and make it land 200 feet behind me. I think most people just avoid playing in those conditions, but tournament players in this region have to deal with them.

The whippet is for overhead thumbers, and mid-range meathooks and low flick hyzers. I mostly use the whippet as an approach disc in situations where there is a lot of cover and I need to go to the side and make a sharp ninety-degree turn and come in low to have a good chance at making it through.

Very overstable drivers are remarkably versatile, excelling at FH rollers, overheads, spike hyzers, dramatic S-curves, etc. I did not see the need for a very overstable disc until I started carrying one, and then I could not remember how I managed without one.

^ This. :thmbup:

The first point is probably the most crucial. While the latter 3 probably don't require a very overstable driver as much for a lower power thrower, I can't imagine that a stable or understable disc would work well as a forehand roller, even for a lower power thrower. While the number of times you'll need to throw a forehand roller are probably few and far between, there are certain escape & emergency shots where they are absolutely essential. There are also some courses where a forehand roller is an indispensible tool which the course cannot be played without. For example, as the saying goes at Paw Paw, WV: "If you don't have a forehand roller before you play Paw Paw, you WILL after you've been there. :p

Latest posts