• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Magellan disc golf bag

2 minor things so far with it.
The one side padding was folded during shipping, so all lumpy and I can't straighten it out.
The top putter pocket is too deep imo. I tried searching, but what have people done to get the putters to ride a bit higher? I've seen pics of bags where you can see almost 1/4 of the disc.

Or get a couple black binder clips and roll up the bottom a couple inches and clip em.

Finally got the coroplast today, made the frame according to the you tube video. Had to trim off a rib or so on each side and still super tight. With the frame stretching the bag so much, I no longer need anything to hold up the putters, just tuck the pocket in with the frame and it's good to go.

I was waiting until I got the frame done, but I gotta say this is possibly the most uncomfortable backpack I've ever worn. If I loosen the straps all the way and then pull the shoulder pads down, it's bearable. Otherwise the top of the bag is hanging away from me and feels like the bottom is going into my back. I don't know if it's the bag, my height, or my crooked spine. Thinking I may have been better off to get a normal bag and shoulder straps, so it rides on my waist like my old bag.

This bag is awesome. It has strap adjustments for the main carrier. The side zip pockets are wide enough for 2 champion roc3s. I carry almost 30 discs in this bad boy. The zipper material up top isn't best so don't over zip lol. If there is one thing I would change it would be the depth of the top pocket flaps over your main storage and is great for discs but not brews.

How many brews can you get in there?

I'm a casual... I carry more beer than discs

I have never used one, but this bag is by far the most popular bag in my group of friends. Every bag has turned into a floppy mess except the bag owned by a guy that followed the frame directions.

I have never used one, but this bag is by far the most popular bag in my group of friends. Every bag has turned into a floppy mess except the bag owned by a guy that followed the frame directions.

I do not use a frame and no floppy mess has occurred. I have played about three rounds a week for the entire year since April with the original Mag (small pockets) and not a single issue yet. Very satisfied, confirms my belief that disc golfers paying $200+ for a bag are suckers.

I just saw the strap on one of the side stool holders break on my buddy's bag yesterday. It looked like it failed at the stitching where the strap attached at the back of the bag. I am not sure what happened, but when he went to pick up the bag it somehow broke(not sure if he picked it up by that strap for some reason or what). I still like my bag, but just thought I would let people know. The stitching on my bag is also showing signs of wear and will probably be a problem next year for me. I have tried reinforcing it some with another piece of fabric(right where the backpack strap I use most meets the actual bag), but I did not do the best job and am not sure if that helped any in the long run.

I do not use a frame and no floppy mess has occurred. I have played about three rounds a week for the entire year since April with the original Mag (small pockets) and not a single issue yet. Very satisfied, confirms my belief that disc golfers paying $200+ for a bag are suckers.

I used a Magellan for about 8 months, 7 without a frame and 1 with a frame. Then I became a "sucker" and bought a grip c15. It's a world of difference. I understand being happy with the Magellan, but I am much happier with my C15.

review :thmbup:

Hey guys,
I just wanted to write a (small) review for those thinking about buying one of those bags.
I ordered this bag about a year ago and was lucky to get it shipped for free to germany because I know a american based in germany.
In the beginning I built had a PVC frame (from a lot of suggestions) connected with zip ties but after a couple of months and lots of carrying it was worn out. It begun squeaking because the ties got stretched a bit (not a big issue but annoying).
And even if i tried to bend the upper pieces of the frame a bit it was still not looking perfect.
So I decided to built a new frame with some kind of rigid foam which was even cheaper than the pvc in my hardware store. I used the pattern someone posted on one of the first ten pages and converted the numbers in centimeters :p
Since the foam is bendable when heated i used the hair blower to get the 90° angles to connect the front/back part connected with the sides.
For connecting them I used self-adhesive velcro.
Since then it just feels and looks perfect!
In contrast to others i use the upper pocket for my putter (added press buttons inside that the disc doesn't fall in the pocket (open the press button when raining to close the pocket :) )

Even if you don't want to built a frame I'd still suggest this backpack for beginners.

I also have to say that i use my old U-Channel disc frame from my Innova Deluxe Bag to keep my discs sorted.

Cheers,
Simon

Don't get me wrong. These guys seem very happy with their floppy mess. lol

Don't get me wrong. These guys seem very happy with their floppy mess. lol

Mine is ripped on the top of the straps, some of the straps with clips on them on the front are ripped and the elastic on front is stretched out. It isn't floppy though just looks awful and I can't wait to upgrade this holiday season :D. It is a solid bag for people just starting though that want a backpack and having a frame in it certainly helps.

I've recently trimmed my frame down after I had seams ripping apart near the zipper for the main compartment.

I took mine in to Academy down the street and they replaced it no questions asked.

Seems like the newer runs are 'thicker' around the outside as it stands up fairly straight on its own. I took the frame out of my old one and knocked a couple millimeters off the height and sanded down the open end of the PVC 45's and it seems to fit much better now.

As the sole provider for my family (wife and 1 kiddo) I have 0 extra cash on hand at all times so coughing up 200 bucks for a bag is not in the question. This bag has worked wonders for me since I started using it.

And yes...If I throw a disc in the watery grave there is no pond that I would walk into to get a disc back.

I recently ordered two of these bags. The first time they sent me the wrong color (blue instead of black/grey). I decided to just give it to my gf, and order a second one. The second time they sent the same blue color!! I made sure you have the black/grey selected. Im not sure if they have the item number wrong on the website versus the warehouse or what.

I haven't decided if Im going to deal with the hassle of returning, or just try to dye the bag myself. All in all, it seems pretty good for the price. I'll keep you posted.

Well, I really wasn't in the market for a backpack bag. But the recent $119 Innova backpack thread peaked my interest. Then I found references to the Magellan and thought, why not? So I just placed my order tonight. We shall see... hopefully in just a few days.

I'm not sure if I'm going to like a backpack bag at all. I didn't like using quad straps with my regular bag and quickly sold the straps.

If I don't like the Magellan, then you'll see it listed in the market place on here.

If I end up liking the Magellan, and it falls apart in a couple years, then I'll move on to a better backpack with a minimum investment lost. And if it doesn't fall apart, even better!

For me, the $29.99 price tag made it a no-brainer to at least give the backpack format a try.