• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Magellan disc golf bag

If you didn't glue the frame (I hope you didn't, internal bag pressure and compression of PVC is more than enough to hold) you might want to trim your frame down a bit. You shouldn't see any seams under stress. Taking your bag off, putting it on, setting it down, throwing it in the car - all create more stress. If the frame is too large, you will unduly wear your bag. If you can, I'd really suggest trimming that frame down a bit.

My 2¢

Cheers.

If you didn't glue the frame (I hope you didn't, internal bag pressure and compression of PVC is more than enough to hold) you might want to trim your frame down a bit. You shouldn't see any seams under stress. Taking your bag off, putting it on, setting it down, throwing it in the car - all create more stress. If the frame is too large, you will unduly wear your bag. If you can, I'd really suggest trimming that frame down a bit.

My 2¢

Cheers.

Will do. Thanks!

Is there any way to order one of those when you are in Europe? I searched but can´t find any shop that will ship it.

$11 plus tax at Ace (so you could probably get under $10 at HD or Lowes)

It's made of 1/2 pvc and I used

6 Tees
6 90* Elbows
2 45* Elbows

1 8' Stick of 1/2" water PVC

Cut list:

8-- 1" for coupling
2-- 3" to join the bottom together
3--10" for cross pieces
2--15" for the back (may check these yourselves as they apply the tension)
2--14" for the front (may check these yourselves as they apply the tension)

15313515910_b0d8aa30fb_c.jpg

15313514390_1ece66e237_c.jpg

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them...

Unless the size of the bag has shrunk the sizes for the pvc pipe are not correct. I mean unless you want to stretch out and possible rip the bag. I was able to get the correct sizes and made a frame that is perfect for the bag.

I bought a black/gray bag a few months ago and have been playing an innate amount of disc. The only thing has gone bad is some of the sewing on shoulder strap. Probably a quick fix, just gotta break out my sewing skills. Otherwise, this bag for 3 months of hard labor has held up nicely.

Got one of the older runs with smaller drink holders for Christmas. I have played about 3 times a month since then. Shoulder strap that goes over my left shoulder is separating some, but easy enough to fix. The drink holder I use most often has developed a small hole where the very bottom of it meets the honeycomb side piece. This is not really a manufacturing problem and more one of design. I put either a 32oz Nalgene or 40oz Hydro Flash, which have the same diameter/footprint, which have to be forced in a little to fit in the drink holder. From what I understand, the newer runs of the bag have larger drink holders, so this probably would not be a problem. The flap on the main compartment does not really stay back off the discs and put anything in the top two pockets and this problem becomes worse. I live in the South, so winter is pretty mild and I rarely need to pack more that a light jacket, so the storage for me is not really a problem, though I do recognize that it is a little lacking in that department. Ultimately I am happy with the bag though, especially for the price. I will probably invest in a more expensive bag around Christmas when they go on sale b/c I plan on playing in several tournaments next year and on my school's club team and need the added storage and durability. But honestly this bag does everything I need it to do for now and would be great for someone like me who plays mostly casually.

After having mine for the summer and playing 5-6 rounds per week, the only real wear I see is that the front pouch (which I use for putters - I don't like the "quiver" on top) is getting a little stretchy. I usually carry 3 putters in the front pocket, which still fits snug. However, when I only carry two, it's a bit loose.

The other wear I have is that one of the straps for the stool holder is torn. I never use this, so I assume I must have snagged something in the woods or throwing it in my car.

Either way, for the price, it's unbeatable. I'm still really looking forward to a nicer backpack after experimenting with this. The upgrade from an Innova Competition bag to a backpack is like a whole new world. The Magellan has been GREAT for the price, but, I'll be looking to Upper Park or Hyzerbomb soon.

I want to build the frame for my Magellan bag, but from what I am reading the frame on here that was already pre-measured is almost too snug and is possibly ripping seams out.

Anyone get one built that isn't super snug in the bag and makes it looks like its busting at the seams?

I think 9' of the thing PVC will suffice, just don't want to mess up and have to get more product.

Seems like you could leave the top cross piece out, and as long as the bottom two cross pieces are the right distance to allow discs to touch all three points - the bottom of the bag and both cross PVC pieces - it would alleviate a lot of the tension but still provide enough framing to support the bag well. Maybe put a cross section across the middle of the back two pieces to hold the flap out of the way and still provide horizontal support?

I keep a Magellan for extra disc storage and need to find the time to play around with this frame, but will probably use CPVC as it is smaller, stronger but a little more pricey.

Make the frame out of CPVC not PVC. It is a bit smaller and will fit much better. About $8.50 for a 10' stick and all the fittings.

Scotty, it's on sale for $30 right now ($10 off) Ships anywhere in the US fairly cheap. Mine took three days with the cheapest shipping option.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-deluxe-disc-golf-backpack

Upper Park Shift is also on sale for a mis-sewn version (top and middle inner pockets were switched) $30 off. $100 total for an EXCELLENT bag. I've checked a couple out in person and I'm damned pleased to say I ordered mine today!
http://upperparkdesigns.com/collections/bags/products/slightshift

I've got some birthday money I need to spend. Seems like this is the best bang for buck bag, so I'm probably going to order a grey one unless someone talks me out of it.

Believe me, I would love one of the higher end bags. But since I can only play in spring and fall. I don't know if I can justify spending that much. I'm currently using a lightning pro bag from '02 and it's finally showing its age, so thinking almost anything will be an upgrade.

Is there any major things about this bag that make you say it's not in your top 10?