• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Magellan disc golf bag

Plan to by one soon, is the frame necessary or would I get away with chopping board and coathangers?

Coat hangers work okay, but not having a cross member like a PVC frame tends to have some inward collapsing. I've seen plenty of them both online and locally with corrugated plastic and it seems to work a bit better than coat hangers, but again, at that point, it's only a couple bucks and a little bit more work for the PVC frame which holds up much better and gives MUCH better support.

Corrugated plastic doubled up gives great support, better than most bags. Add the wal-mart cutting board to the bottom and it's a really solid setup. And a u-frame makes it even better, the Fade Tourney version is nice as it is heavy duty, no dividers, and it holds the side supports in place with no velcro to mess with. Put the cutting board under the u-frame.

So, is there a concensus about what works best and lasts longest as far as a frame?

I just ordered one of these and I'm wondering if I should go the corrugated plastic route, or build out the PVC frame?

Pros/cons?

Thanks!

I have had my corrugated plastic in there for MONTHS with no sign of wear at all. I think it is the cheapest and more simple option.

Where did y'all find it for super cheap? It's about $10 a sheet at the home depot near me.

I believe that sheet is big enough to make 2 sets, you could double it up for optimal support. I already had some so didn't have to buy it, some have acquired political signs or other type signs made of corrugated plastic to avoid paying for it.

Home Depot has a leaf chute product made of corrugated plastic. (it props open a bag to pour leaves in) It is $9 online, and it looked big enough to do about 4-6 dg backpacks. Next to the hoses and garbage bags when I saw it.

I finally got my bag yesterday and made the frame for it according to the dimensions above. So far, it looks and feels really good. As others have noted, if the water bottle holder was bigger, thicker shoulder straps, and slightly better nylon straps and zippers were used, this bag would be incredible. I can also see that the elastic used for the putter pocket, water bottle holders, and other pockets probably won't last all that long. I'd definitely pay another $20 if those improvements were made. As it is, I'm still very pleased with it and will hopefully have it out for a round in the next few days.

My only comments regarding the CPVC frame dimensions would be that the bottom 2 support bars could probably stand to be 10 1/2" or maybe even 11" wide as I still have about that much room left on the sides of the frame. The top support seems just right at 10". I haven't glued mine together yet, but I'll need to get another piece of CPVC before I can try it with a wider bottom. Right now, I can only fit 18 discs in the main compartment: 6 mids and 12 drivers. With another 1/2" or 1", I could definitely fit another disc or 2.

i cut the pvc to the exact measurements and there is no way in hell this frame is fitting inside my Magellan backpack. i am trimming and trimming just to squeeze this frame in but it is not working at all. what the hell am i doing wrong?? :wall:

i cut the pvc to the exact measurements and there is no way in hell this frame is fitting inside my Magellan backpack. i am trimming and trimming just to squeeze this frame in but it is not working at all. what the hell am i doing wrong?? :wall:

I believe you need to piece it together inside the backpack. It will not fit assembled.

Make sure you use the revised measurements about halfway thru this thread - not the original ones posted. The first ones are about 1/2"-1" too long on nearly every measurement. Just keep cutting it down until it fits!

Great idea on the one large pocket up top, but I have never sewn anything in my life, so that option is out for me. Looks really great, slap bracelet idea was fantastic.

Latest posts