• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Magnets if you use them which ones and how

Casey 1988

Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
I use a Magnet 2 Jawbreaker 173-174 grams and I just got them in August, one is labeled Approach and is normally the Approach putt distance longer putter, then the other is labled my putter and is for shots under 25 feet and in. Both Jawbreaker Magnets have a sharpie ring to simulate the Putter ring on a D Magnet as I need that for thumb placement. Then I still have My brothers old Magnet he use for a month in 2005 before finding that a beat in Gator works for the putting. It is hard before 2006 D Magnet 173-174 grams though it might be 173-172 grams by now that is the older very stiff version of the Magnet.

I had my newer 2006 D hard Magnet a softer one my approach putt disc that was 175-176 grams end up garbage after hitting a tree July 4th 2017 out at Shipwreck Bluff disc golf course in Erie State Park about 3 miles outside of Dunkirk. The hole had only one face of the basket to putt at as one side was a short 10 foot cliff, the other was super nasty rough with wild roses, and the last was the tree 5 feet in front of the basket. Well I had been contemplating getting Jawbreaker Magnets but they do not have the ring I need to putt well with them. I then did some damage to the 2006 Hard Pro D Magnet that is softer then my 2005 Hard Pro D Magnet. I tried using the softer Hard Pro D Magnet and it flew different each time due to when it would end in the spin of the flight. I got the Jawbreakers in early August. Mine are a bit softer to where they would break into at, that flexibility as I left them outside during the day in the summer for a week. I can use the Jawbreaker Magnet Putter for my normal putting and short less intense uphill/downhill putting but not longer/steeper putting. My other Putter for steeper Uphill/Downhill putting is a Lighting U-2 or Upshot #2 166 gram putter in prostyle plastic. Though if my current Jawbreaker Magnets get to flexible I will use one as my Uphill/Downhill putter keep the other as a back up and then get new Jawbreaker Magnets and do the same I did to the ones I am using now, pushing Out the U-2 or Upshot #2 in Prostyle plastic. I have the old pre 2006 hard Pro D Magnet for winder putting than the Jawbreakers can handle to a point then my Pro or Star Shark 175 grams comes in and the hard stiff Pro D Magnet for very hot days in summer the Jawbreaker Magnets might get too soft to use.

Sorry this Post is long Just telling you my history of using the Magnet; hower the process of how I got to using a Magnet, is a different story for a different day.

I have a beat soft magnet as my putting putter 172-173 and a newer jawbreaker magnet 172-173 as my more stable putter for longer putts that need a little fade.

Been using a Soft Magnet as my putter for years. I have never seen the need to change, don't believe there is magic in any putter. Moving to a new putter would simply force me to learn how to putt differently to learn the disc and don't see the end result making me a better putter.

I do use a Crystal Challenger for approaches outside my putter range and Z Zone for longer approaches. I also bag a X Putt'r for understable putter approach needs.

What ring are you saying Jawbreaker Magnets don't have? I'm confused.

Also I threw old hard 4chains for a long time then switched to the Legacy Clutch. The old Magents were getting more expensive and harder to track down, and the Clutch is a clone of a Magnet that comes in numerous plastic options. Win win for me.

Also I threw old hard 4chains for a long time then switched to the Legacy Clutch. The old Magents were getting more expensive and harder to track down, and the Clutch is a clone of a Magnet that comes in numerous plastic options. Win win for me.

I think the OP might be referring to the Magnet's nano bead (which I think is just squeeze out from the stripper plate and the core).

Casey 1988: If the "ring" is indeed that flashing-like bead on the bottom of the rim you've been referring to, the Clutch does not have that. The Clutch is almost a clone, but it has a smoother bottom rim than the few Magnets I've held (all pro D).

Never bagged a Magnet, but messed with Clutches for a minute. They're a good mold.

I believe he means the ring that is part of the stamp.
magnet-d-500x500.jpg

Huh?

Is every post you make some form of puzzle? Or are you just really high all the time?

Your written communication skills could use just a wee bit of work.

On topic (I guess), never liked Magnets, feel really weird to me.

Carry on.

Huh?

Is every post you make some form of puzzle? Or are you just really high all the time?

Your written communication skills could use just a wee bit of work.

On topic (I guess), never liked Magnets, feel really weird to me.

Carry on.

I understand, why I can't use the Bangor GT thumb gets in the way.

I think the OP might be referring to the Magnet's nano bead (which I think is just squeeze out from the stripper plate and the core).

Casey 1988: If the "ring" is indeed that flashing-like bead on the bottom of the rim you've been referring to, the Clutch does not have that. The Clutch is almost a clone, but it has a smoother bottom rim than the few Magnets I've held (all pro D).

Never bagged a Magnet, but messed with Clutches for a minute. They're a good mold.

the Ring was the stamp on the top of the Pro D models.

i putt with jawbreakers , 2 173. don't throw them just putt.

Me too! :hfive: I carry two 173g Jawbreaker Magnets for putting only. I dont actually throw them at all. Ive been using magnets for about two years and no matter what other putters i try i always end up back at the magnets. Im a straight line spin putter and use them for all my putting needs. :thmbup:

Me too! :hfive: I carry two 173g Jawbreaker Magnets for putting only. I dont actually throw them at all. Ive been using magnets for about two years and no matter what other putters i try i always end up back at the magnets. Im a straight line spin putter and use them for all my putting needs. :thmbup:

I have been off and on with magnet for about 8 years love how they putt (i am a spush putter). But in d plastic they bet up so fast that i was always looking for a replacement. The improved durability of the Jawbreaker has put my putter quest at an end.

First putter I ever bought was at a liquor store. They had just got in a new run of Z plastic putters, and the Magnet was one of them...unfortunately the Putt'r was one as well (released that year, 2002) and that's the one I went with. It's a deep lid style putter, so I learned to "frisbee toss" all my putts for about 3 years of playing. Never got consistent with it. Quit altogether. Picked it up again in 2012, and started a more conventional spin putt thanks to some youtube coverage, and dropped the Putt'r right away (still bagged for floaty layups).

I've been thinking that if I had bagged that Magnet all those years ago, I would have found the game more rewarding.

I will also add, ive been playing damn near every day for two years (not that long relatively i know) and i've never once met a single person who had even thrown one at all, let alone bag one.

^^^ Yeah, I see mostly Challengers and Roaches if they're putting Discraft. Living in Legacy's backyard though, a large number of people putt and drive with Clutches (the Magnet clone) including the boss man himself, Steve Rico. They all do pretty well with the mold.